PDA

View Full Version : Addition of Flight Radiotelephone operator licence to new CASA licence

V1650
21st Oct 2016, 12:42
Hi All,
Just updated my licence to the newer CASA issue - ATPL.

The new issue licence is missing the flight radio telephone operator? this was on my previous licence.

I have an ELP certificate issued via Emirates, but no ELP on my Oz licence, Im suspecting this maybe part of the problem.

Have I or CASA missed something, I'm curious if anyone else out there has had a similar experience.

Clare Prop
21st Oct 2016, 13:13
61.435 When holders of pilot licences authorised to operate
aircraft radio
(1) A person is authorised to transmit on a radio frequency of a
kind used for the purpose of ensuring the safety of air
navigation if the person:
(a) holds a private pilot licence, commercial pilot licence,
multi-crew pilot licence or air transport pilot licence; or
(b) holds a recreational pilot licence with a flight radio
endorsement

Mr Approach
22nd Oct 2016, 03:57
Clare Prop is correct with the quote - there is now only an Air Radio Operators Certificate and your pilot's licence under 61.435 says you do not need one.

smiling monkey
22nd Oct 2016, 05:32
They may as well print on the license that you have one. I worked hard to gain that license back in the 1980's 😂

Centaurus
22nd Oct 2016, 05:37
I worked hard to gain that license back in the 1980's 😂

Did that include Morse Code test at 10 words a minute? Now that was working hard :D

andmiz
22nd Oct 2016, 10:49
Laugh all you want about the irrelevancy of the FROL (flight radio operators licence), but when you're trying to convert an Australian ATPL into another ICAO state, and they need to see proof that you hold a FROL, quoting an inadequate Part 61 rule from CASA just doesn't suffice.

It's an absolute PITA to rectify, just because CASA couldn't/wouldn't print one extra line of text on your licence.

scavenger
23rd Oct 2016, 06:18
Why is the rule inadequate? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me: the holder of a flight crew licence is also authorised to use the radio...

Perhaps your criticism should be directed at the NAA you're asking to license you.