PDA

View Full Version : " We about to go a huntin bear"....guess where and who

Krystal n chips
21st Oct 2016, 13:07
Not for the first time, the urge to kill innocent animals, and in this case one already injured, surfaces in a country where all the rational and sensible population are seemingly outnumbered.

Killing of Pedals 'the walking bear' sparks hunting debate - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-37679612)

No doubt there will be some form of perverse "rationale" or "justification" for killing the bear....arrogant human stupidity not withstanding, but I am at a loss (and always have been and will be ) to understand the "pleasure" gained by killing animals in the name of "sport".

Lonewolf_50
21st Oct 2016, 13:37
Not for the first time, the urge to kill innocent animals, and in this case one already injured, surfaces in a country where all the rational and sensible population are seemingly outnumbered.

Killing of Pedals 'the walking bear' sparks hunting debate - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-37679612)

No doubt there will be some form of perverse "rationale" or "justification" for killing the bear....arrogant human stupidity not withstanding, but I am at a loss (and always have been and will be ) to understand the "pleasure" gained by killing animals in the name of "sport".
If you don't care for hunting, then don't go on hunting trips. Find other hobbies, like spewing outrage all over the internet for your cause du jour ... wait, you already do that.

NVM

Flash2001
21st Oct 2016, 14:11
Yeahbut

This seems much like the type of "hunting" that is done on locked and stocked preserves like the one where Dick Cheney got his lawyer trophy. I don't really understand the desire just to go out and kill something that is doing you no harm and can't fight back or escape.

After an excellent landing etc...

West Coast
21st Oct 2016, 16:22
Here's some recipes for bear meat, makes me hungry.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/bear_recipeguide.pdf

can't fight back or escape.

Bears can't fight? Guess no one got around to telling the bears this vital fact.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

bgbazz
21st Oct 2016, 16:32
In the case of this particular bear, it is probably a bit sad, but concerning bears in general, if you think they can't do you any harm, fight back or escape.....I'm guessing you have never encountered them in the wild. Depending on their mood at the time, they can do all three...very well!!

Krystal n chips
21st Oct 2016, 16:34
" If you don't care for hunting, then don't go on hunting trips. Find other hobbies, like spewing outrage all over the internet for your cause du jour ... wait, you already do that "

Well, it's like this. Never been on a hunting trip in my life and never will. That, and I have a hobby which is beneficial to society.

However, having an opinion about a topic isn't, as you put it, "spewing outrage all over the internet", albeit I am among many who are outraged at this killing.

Humans are predators, and like any predator we kill for food and for self-defence when attacked by other predators, notably animals we class as wild.

However, where we differ is that we also kill purely for perverse "fun" and "sport".....we have the technology to do this in comparative safety to ourselves and the animal is usually defenceless as a result.

Care to explain why this one sided advantage can be classed as a "sport" ?

I actually find it almost therapeutic to read of cases where a human, intent on killing an animal, has lost due to the odds being made considerably more even when the technology has failed.

West Coast
21st Oct 2016, 16:49
Are you a vegetarian Chippie?

UniFoxOs
21st Oct 2016, 16:52
I am quite happy to kill animals for sport - but only either if I can eat them, or they are some form of pest. I find the practise of a skill such as shooting, along with a good mate or two, a very pleasant way of spending a day out. HOWEVER I would get no pleasure at all out of killing an animal that was not edible and was no threat to myself or my environment, even when (or especially when) it was in serious pain or injury and putting it down would be a kindness.

Krystal n chips
21st Oct 2016, 17:03
WC.....nope, complete omnivore ( excluding Mc Junk et al )

Mel Effluent
21st Oct 2016, 17:03
From Wikipedia:
[QUOTE]For example, expressing a hatred of the conservative newspaper Daily Mail might be an example of virtue signalling on the British left. The term is chiefly used by commentators to criticize the platitudinous and empty or superficial support of socially progressive views on social media.QUOTE]

racedo
21st Oct 2016, 17:19
Not opposed to hunting but hunting an injured bear that doesn't seem to have been a problem in an area makes hunter seem like a douche bag.
Bet hunter shoots fish in a barrel as well.

vulcanised
21st Oct 2016, 17:24
It is exceedingly rare for me to agree with anything Knc says.

Today being one of those exceptions.

MG23
21st Oct 2016, 17:34
However, where we differ is that we also kill purely for perverse "fun" and "sport".

You clearly haven't spent much time around animals if you think they don't do the same. Pretending that humans act radically differently to other animals is extremely speciesist. It's time to check your human privilege.

As for bears, when a friend of a friend called the police about a bear hunting through their garbage, the police told them to shoot it. It's what people have to do in countries which, unlike the UK, didn't already wipe out their bear population centuries ago.

galaxy flyer
21st Oct 2016, 17:42
Bears are becoming a serious problem in much of the populated East. I have two that "visit" often--tear up the bird feeders, roam thru the garden, etc. in many places they have entered houses. This ain't healthy for people or the bears. States have open seasons to control the population, simples. Pedals was a bear, hunter had a legal license, Pedals is no more.

GF

er340790
21st Oct 2016, 17:44
Living in a part of the world that is infested with black bear (100,000+ but nobody really knows) I was formerly a keen hunter and have often filled my freezer in the Fall with bear meat. It's really good btw... something like a cross between roast beef and gammon.

It took me a few years, but having seen these magnificent animals up-close for so long, I came to realise what a miracle of evolution they truly are. Often portrayed as ungainly, lumbering animals, they actually move in a flowing motion, much like a big cat. They can hit 40 mph in a few paces from a standing start and I have seen them run up 50' silver poplars in about 5 seconds flat. My own view is that any animal that can close itself down for 5-6 months and survive Winters here that get down to -45c and windchills below -55c deserves a full crack at life.

Yes, I always carry bear-spray when out hiking. (It is staggeringly effective.) And I would not hesitate to shoot a bear that refuses to keep away from my mountainside house and/or becomes aggressive.

The sea-change for me came one day when a so-called 'hunter' on the reserve behind us shot a yearling bear, after leaving a tin of tuna open and waiting up a tree for it. The animal was injured and fled into the bush to die. It screamed - just like a child - for 10 minutes before I located it and put it out of its agony. It was tough decision not to do the same to the 'hunter'(!)

So, these days I just hunt deer (not Moose - that is about as daring as shooting a cow). It keeps me fed and far fitter... and the deer population booms the older, and slower, I get. :O

West Coast
21st Oct 2016, 18:02
Chippie

You give any thought to how dinner made it to your plate or does it not matter to you?

lomapaseo
21st Oct 2016, 20:34
Is there a line not to be crossed?

How about using a BB gun to whittle away at kitten you took from a litter you weren't expecting?.

One can make a sport out of almost anything that sharpens your skills

Flash2001
22nd Oct 2016, 12:26
Somewhat off subject. Testing a new scrambler (Now called moto cross bike) at Kingsmere, I came upon a medium sized black bear and chased it through the woods. Then I thought "What will I do with it if I catch it?" hmmm, turned around and scarpered.

After an excellent landing etc...