PDA

View Full Version : Shopping abusers

racedo
20th Oct 2016, 18:00
Serial returners cause problems for shops - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37711091)

Now I have a wife who hates shopping.................... nope you can't have her number in event I kick the bucket. :E

However this is other end where Ladies shop and shop and then just return items generally after using once or twice so they have always the latest gear.

Online retailers have 20-40% of the initial sales returned

Most online clothes shoppers send something back - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36395719)

Eventually a point gets reached where they keep increasing prices or go to the wall.

Can't understand why a Ladies clothes rental business has never suceeded, mind you how would it when you can buy, wear a few time and return and it costs you nothing.

DirtyProp
20th Oct 2016, 18:24
Easy peasy.
Store credit if the item is still re-sellable (to be used within a certain date), or 30% return fee if not.
What? Gonna take your shopping somewhere else? Door's there honey. Don't let it hit ya on the way out.

G-CPTN
20th Oct 2016, 18:26
Why would women pay to wear something that someone else has worn when they can get new items free?

chevvron
20th Oct 2016, 18:29
Serial returners cause problems for shops - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37711091)

Now I have a wife who hates shopping.................... nope you can't have her number in event I kick the bucket. :E

Me too. Obviously it's endemic to Surrey.

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Oct 2016, 19:21
Seems to be perfectly normal for online shopping for clothes - you can't see them and try them on like you can in the shop, so you order two or three, keep the one you decide you like or the one that actually fits, and return the others. This sounds reasonable from the punter's point of view, and if the online retailer doesn't like it then can always rent some exceedingly expensive high street space and turn into a bricks-and-mortar outfit.

Seldomfitforpurpose
20th Oct 2016, 19:39
Seems to be perfectly normal for online shopping for clothes - you can't see them and try them on like you can in the shop, so you order two or three, keep the one you decide you like or the one that actually fits, and return the others. This sounds reasonable from the punter's point of view, and if the online retailer doesn't like it then can always rent some exceedingly expensive high street space and turn into a bricks-and-mortar outfit.

That's how it is supposed to work but the feckin gypsy in the article admits to actually wearing some of the stuff she eventually returns which makes the clothes unfit for resale and is, IMHO fraud.

As the article names the cheeky cow she should be put in a no shop list or certainly a no returns list!

Loose rivets
20th Oct 2016, 21:02
Then there was the Texan with the mower. Or was it Tennessee? Not sure. Anyway, I'd seen it outside on a trailer and was surprised to hear the young lady say, You have to bring it in.

Mam, I can't bring i . . .

You have to bring it to this counter.

Repete, several times but each time more assertiveness from both sides.

Finally, the cowboy says okay. I stood back to watch.

It just fitted between the double doors and to be fair, he didn't take it all the way to the desk. He'd made his point.

When the crowd had coughed out the last of the smoke the plump blob at the desk asked, quite calmly, 'What's wrong with it?'

'It slides sideways down slopes'.

Long pause.

'Got yer receipt?'

I miss America.

Oh, and returned tools. Fantastic. I got a Sears Craftsman compressor, like new, with five unused power thingies. The pneumatic drill cut through the house slab with ease and the wrench would torque nuts to stud-snapping tightness if you let it. It stood on its own trolly some 4' 6" tall. The label said, SELL. $120. About 70 quid back then. Just couldn't get it in my airline luggage.

Flight_Idle
20th Oct 2016, 22:05
Never returned any clothes in my life. Made only one insurance claim for a cracked car window caused by a flying stone on a motorway.

All the mega bucks I've paid, it makes me want to weep.

ExSp33db1rd
20th Oct 2016, 22:08
.........Just couldn't get it in my airline luggage.

Sourced a replacement petrol tank for my BMW whilst on a trip to Frankfurt, just couldn't get it in my airline luggage so carried it as hand luggage up to the flight deck. One of the cabin crew asked me what it was - our Diversion fuel, I said.

All the mega bucks I've paid, it makes me want to weep.

Yes, if only we'd known ....

racedo
20th Oct 2016, 22:25
That's how it is supposed to work but the feckin gypsy in the article admits to actually wearing some of the stuff she eventually returns which makes the clothes unfit for resale and is, IMHO fraud.

Send back stuff that is not right is one thing but wearing it couple of times and sending back is I agree fraud.

To be fair in 80's chap working with had previously worked with Nurses who shopped M&S for an outfit on the Saturday and return unsuitable on the Monday. They had new outfit every weekend and rarely kept them.

Seldomfitforpurpose
20th Oct 2016, 22:26
As a Herc Loadmaster space was never really an issue and I have 'helped' bring back all manner of different things from around the world.

galaxy flyer
20th Oct 2016, 23:28
SFFP,

Just imagine the C-5 possibilities. I have friends in Bournemouth that wanted me to bring over a real, American refridgerator.

GF

DirtyProp
21st Oct 2016, 06:02

Yes, and women do it all the time.
Men do it also, but usually because they made a mistake, technical issues, etc.
Women simply because they've changed their mind.

As the article names the cheeky cow she should be put in a no shop list or certainly a no returns list!

Might as well put 80% of the female population on that list.
Retailers need to realize that such behaviors should not be accepted and change their return policies.

Krystal n chips
21st Oct 2016, 06:54
" That's how it is supposed to work but the feckin gypsy in the article admits to actually wearing some of the stuff she eventually returns which makes the clothes unfit for resale and is, IMHO fraud.

As the article names the cheeky cow she should be put in a no shop list or certainly a no returns list "

I think it's a bit late in his campaign to try and establish yourself as a Trump speechwriter.....

Fareastdriver
21st Oct 2016, 08:50
Women should go to charity shops for new gear. A lot of the stuff they get is unworn, complete with the original shop labels, because HH has changed her mind.

Martin the Martian
21st Oct 2016, 12:31
Bearing in mind that retailers are not legally obliged to give a refund unless the item is faulty, by and large they are in a pit of their own digging. Perhaps they should review their policies.

I'm used to exchanging items for credit notes in my shop throughout the beginning of January. Only had one person complain, but after showing him the relevant page on the Citizens' Advice website he took the credit note and said no more.

PDR1
21st Oct 2016, 14:26
Bearing in mind that retailers are not legally obliged to give a refund unless the item is faulty, by and large they are in a pit of their own digging. Perhaps they should review their policies.

For physical shopping, no. But for on-line shopping in the UK the Distance Selling Regulations allow customers to return goods within a reasonable time for simply "when I saw it in the flesh I didn't like it".

PDR

G-CPTN
21st Oct 2016, 17:15
A colleague owns a shop that sells clothes for ladies (which his wife manages).
I asked him today whether they had difficulty with 'returns'?
He replied that, whilst they would give a refund for faulty goods, they only issue credit notes for 'unwanted' items - and they have to be returned with the original labels still attached.
Sorted!

(and the shop is popular and not cheap)

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st Oct 2016, 17:33
I think it's a bit late in his campaign to try and establish yourself as a Trump speechwriter.....

Are you endorsing the actions of lady named in the article?

Seldomfitforpurpose
21st Oct 2016, 17:37
SFFP,

Just imagine the C-5 possibilities. I have friends in Bournemouth that wanted me to bring over a real, American refridgerator.

GF
The best 'favour' I did was for a friend here in the UK who wanted a set of side steps for his Lexus 4x4 which were unavailable in the UK.

He knew I was on a States trip and was scheduled to night stop in Minneapolis so contacted the dealer there who shipped them to our hotel, the Embassy Suites right next to the Mall of America.

Took 2 of us to carry the bloody box as the things weighed a ton but there was plenty of room down the back of Albert and my mate had the joy of being the only Lexus owner in the UK with said steps.

racedo
21st Oct 2016, 19:05
He knew I was on a States trip and was scheduled to night stop in Minneapolis so contacted the dealer there who shipped them to our hotel, the Embassy Suites right next to the Mall of America.

That's like Trailer Park for Chav city shopping............. right ?

21st Oct 2016, 22:49
For physical shopping, no. But for on-line shopping in the UK the Distance Selling Regulations allow customers to return goods within a reasonable time for simply "when I saw it in the flesh I didn't like it".

PDR

Not 100% correct.
The Distance selling regulations no longer apply as they have been superseded by The "Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations"
Under these reg's, you have up to 14 days from receiving goods purchased at a distance to inform the retailer of your wish to return them (there are a few exceptions to this), then another 14 days to actually make the return.

However, the retailer doesn't always have to return the full price you paid.
After you have received the goods, you are legally allowed to examine them to see if they are suitable but you can only do this to the same degree that would be allowed in a shop.
If the retailer considered that you have devalued the goods by excessive handling (such as wearing them for a while before returning), they can make a deduction from the refund to cover the loss in value and this deduction can be up to the full selling price.

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Oct 2016, 04:51
Women should go to charity shops for new gear. A lot of the stuff they get is unworn, complete with the original shop labels, because HH has changed her mind.

Second that, Mrs. ExS. agrees, too ! That doesn't stop me being dragged along for "an opinion" tho'. As soon as I get through the door I ask for the "bored husband seat". Too few establishments provide one. Last emporium had a seat outside the ladies changing rooms, I grabbed it but was kicked off due to the possibility that I was somewhat of a pervert wanting to sit there on the offchance .....

Men go shopping for things that they want, sometimes even need. Women go shopping to spend money, so Charity shops and the like are at least a step in the right direction.

Why do women spend a small fortune - in any language - for torn jeans, and why do they even wear them ?

evansb
22nd Oct 2016, 05:02
hey racedo, please explain your last post, as the following links have provided no insight whatsoever...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mall_of_America

Mall of America (http://www.mallofamerica.com/?gclid=CMzd4NrP7c8CFdRyfgod3pYFyQ)

Embassy Suites by Hilton - About Our Hotel Suites (http://embassysuites3.hilton.com/en/about/index.html)

DirtyProp
22nd Oct 2016, 06:50
Why do women spend a small fortune - in any language - for torn jeans, and why do they even wear them ?

Because it's "trendy and cool".
It's also downright stoopid according to me, but strangely they don't ask for my opinion. It's not about the torn jeans, but about the emotions they feel wearing them.
They wanna be able to look at themselves in the mirror and think: "Yeah girl, you still have it".

evansb
22nd Oct 2016, 06:58
Nearly fashionable adolescents have worn torn jeans on-and-off (pun intended) in the USA and Canada since the mid-1970's. It is only recently that I have determined that torn jeans are a good thing. Whilst fixing my auto and performing garden chores, my jeans usually exhibit wear through the knees at around the third laundering, which approximates to one-month of wear. Rather than repairing said jeans or tossing them, I walk about TESCOs proudly exposing my patella. I no longer feel like an indigent urban dweller, but rather a chic metro-geriatric.

Hydromet
22nd Oct 2016, 07:13
Men go shopping for things that they want, sometimes even need. Women go shopping to spend money

It's said that women only need an opportunity to go shopping, men need a reason.

With sex, it's the other way round.

Pinky the pilot
22nd Oct 2016, 10:26
Can't understand why a Ladies clothes rental business has never suceeded

There is currently such a business in Japan. Remember reading about it on my last trip there. I'll see if I can find the article concerned.

Tankertrashnav
22nd Oct 2016, 11:19
Mrs TTN hired her wedding dress. A fabulous Nottingham lace dress with a train which would have been way out of our budget to buy.

They say that wearing a wedding dress that's been worn before is unlucky. They may be right, she's still stuck with me after 47 years ;)

Fareastdriver
22nd Oct 2016, 11:51
As soon as I get through the door I ask for the "bored husband seat". Too few establishments provide one. Last emporium had a seat outside the ladies changing rooms, I grabbed it but was kicked off due to the possibility that I was somewhat of a pervert wanting to sit there on the offchance .....

I've had that done to me as well.

sitigeltfel
22nd Oct 2016, 12:25
How to ward off supermarket boredom.

1. Get 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in peoples' trolley when they aren't looking.

2. Set all the alarm clocks in houseware to go off at 5 minute intervals.

3. Make a trail of tomato juice on the floor to the toilet.

4. Walk up to an employee and tell him/her in an official tone, "Code 10 at Pharmacy" ... and see what happens.

5. Go to the Service Desk and ask to put a bag of M&M's on hold.

6. Move a "CAUTION - WET FLOOR" sign to a carpeted area.

7. Set up a tent in the houseware and tell other shoppers you'll only invite them in if they bring pillows from the bedding department.

8. When an assistant asks if they can help you, begin to cry and ask, "Why can't you people just leave me alone?"

9. Look right into the security camera and use it as a mirror while you pick your nose.

10. While handling knives in the kitchen ware department ask the clerk if he knows where the anti-depressants are.

11. Dart around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the theme from Mission Impossible.

12. In the car accessory department practice your Madonna look using different size funnels.

13. Hide in the clothing rack and when people browse through shout, "PICK ME! PICK ME!!!!"

14. When an announcement comes over the loud speaker assume the foetal position and scream, "NO! NO! It's those voices again!"

15. Go into a fitting room and yell real loudly...."Hey! We're out of toilet paper in here!"

vaqueroaero
22nd Oct 2016, 12:48
My wife and internet shopping.......she will buy literally hundreds of dollars worth of clothing at one time. Then her and her sister have a grand "fashion parade" where they try it all on and then anything they don't want/like gets loaded into the car and I return it all. I want it off the credit card bill, that's why I do it.

Her reasoning is that you can take your time and there is no aggravation involved. It also means that she can get everything in her size.

I've had to rein her in though. At one point I had got to be on first name terms with a cashier at Macy's.

racedo
22nd Oct 2016, 13:47
Mrs TTN hired her wedding dress. A fabulous Nottingham lace dress with a train which would have been way out of our budget to buy.

They say that wearing a wedding dress that's been worn before is unlucky. They may be right, she's still stuck with me after 47 years http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Mrs racedo as well.....................

racedo
22nd Oct 2016, 13:50
How to ward off supermarket boredom.

1. Get 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in peoples' trolley when they aren't looking.

2. Set all the alarm clocks in houseware to go off at 5 minute intervals.

3. Make a trail of tomato juice on the floor to the toilet.

4. Walk up to an employee and tell him/her in an official tone, "Code 10 at Pharmacy" ... and see what happens.

5. Go to the Service Desk and ask to put a bag of M&M's on hold.

6. Move a "CAUTION - WET FLOOR" sign to a carpeted area.

7. Set up a tent in the houseware and tell other shoppers you'll only invite them in if they bring pillows from the bedding department.

8. When an assistant asks if they can help you, begin to cry and ask, "Why can't you people just leave me alone?"

9. Look right into the security camera and use it as a mirror while you pick your nose.

10. While handling knives in the kitchen ware department ask the clerk if he knows where the anti-depressants are.

11. Dart around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the theme from Mission Impossible.

12. In the car accessory department practice your Madonna look using different size funnels.

13. Hide in the clothing rack and when people browse through shout, "PICK ME! PICK ME!!!!"

14. When an announcement comes over the loud speaker assume the foetal position and scream, "NO! NO! It's those voices again!"

15. Go into a fitting room and yell real loudly...."Hey! We're out of toilet paper in here!"

16. Buy 4 pigs, number them 1,2,3,5. Release and watch security spend hours looking for number 4

PDR1
22nd Oct 2016, 14:35
Not 100% correct.
The Distance selling regulations no longer apply as they have been superseded by The "Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations"
Under these reg's, you have up to 14 days from receiving goods purchased at a distance to inform the retailer of your wish to return them (there are a few exceptions to this), then another 14 days to actually make the return.

However, the retailer doesn't always have to return the full price you paid.
After you have received the goods, you are legally allowed to examine them to see if they are suitable but you can only do this to the same degree that would be allowed in a shop.
If the retailer considered that you have devalued the goods by excessive handling (such as wearing them for a while before returning), they can make a deduction from the refund to cover the loss in value and this deduction can be up to the full selling price.

Happy to concede that your explanation is both more up to date and more accurate than my assertion!

PDR

yellowtriumph
22nd Oct 2016, 14:49

They say that wearing a wedding dress that's been worn before is unlucky. They may be right, she's still stuck with me after 47 years ;)
... perhaps your still 'on approval'!

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd Oct 2016, 15:00
... perhaps your still 'on approval'!
There was a house round the corner from me that was empty and unused.

It belonged to a bloke who had moved in with his girlfriend, the other end of town, but hadn't sold his house yet - he was hanging on to it just in case this new relationship didn't work out long term.

It had been empty for twenty years.

ExXB
24th Oct 2016, 10:41
I suspect with the proper data mining techniques these people will soon be placed on black-lists. Such lists shared amongst major retailers. Customer service is one thing, allowing people to defraud you is not.

In CH I'd be surprised if you could get a refund for anything not faulty. Even then they would go the repair/refund route before giving you the cash back.

Katamarino
24th Oct 2016, 19:31
They say that wearing a wedding dress that's been worn before is unlucky.

"They" being the people who sell wedding dresses, I assume ;)

Mr Optimistic
24th Oct 2016, 20:23
I abuse shoppers all the time, but only the ones in front of me in the queue.

Seldomfitforpurpose
24th Oct 2016, 22:02
I suspect with the proper data mining techniques these people will soon be placed on black-lists. Such lists shared amongst major retailers. Customer service is one thing, allowing people to defraud you is not.

In CH I'd be surprised if you could get a refund for anything not faulty. Even then they would go the repair/refund route before giving you the cash back.

In the case of Ms Demetri no data mining is required!

KenV
25th Oct 2016, 14:28
He knew I was on a States trip and was scheduled to night stop in Minneapolis so contacted the dealer there who shipped them to our hotel, the Embassy Suites right next to the Mall of America. Took 2 of us to carry the bloody box as the things weighed a ton but there was plenty of room down the back of Albert and my mate had the joy of being the only Lexus owner in the UK with said steps.Interesting. We had always had US Customs folks meet our airplane when we returned from an oversees trip. And that was a P-3 with much less room for stuff on board. You could really be screwed if you had brought an expensive Japanese camera with you on your deployment and did not have some kind of proof on you that it had been purchased stateside before you left.

racedo
25th Oct 2016, 17:02
Interesting. We had always had US Customs folks meet our airplane when we returned from an oversees trip. And that was a P-3 with much less room for stuff on board. You could really be screwed if you had brought an expensive Japanese camera with you on your deployment and did not have some kind of proof on you that it had been purchased stateside before you left.

Course the really devious ones buy one in the US, return it unopened for a refund after photocopying receipt then buy overseas :}

innuendo
26th Oct 2016, 02:19
Course the really devious ones buy one in the US, return it unopened for a refund after photocopying receipt then buy overseas

And the really devious Customs officers might look to see that the serial numbers match, or if they are being really bloody minded, check with the importers to see where that serial number was sold. A fraudulent receipt would probably get them pi**ed a fair bit.

It is easy for them to do, as a friend of mine discovered, when he brought back a pair of skis he bought in Aspen and said "nothing to declare". He got away with a forfeiture of the goods.

ExSp33db1rd
26th Oct 2016, 22:51
Took a Mamiyaflex twin lens reflex 120 roll film camera to New York and part-exchanged it for an Olympus SLR 35 mm machine.

Didn't declare it to UK Customs and was challenged. But I took a camera that I had purchased in the UK, and just exchanged it for this one, I said, showing receipts.

Tough, said HM Customs, we don't care how you financed this camera you effectively purchased it overseas and we demand our slice.

Now, does this expensive looking auxillary telephoto lens fit this camera ? Yes. OK please put it on the camera. Now we have a camera and lens assessed at X%, and a much cheaper auxilliary lens assessed at X%.

Total about 5 quid.

Won one.

evansb
27th Oct 2016, 01:23
Abusive shoppers?

Grocery shoppers who, upon changing their selfish small-minds, place frozen items on a shelf to thaw and subsequently the item is thrown out to the trash.

Grocery shoppers who, upon changing their selfish small-minds, place non-refrigerated items in a freezer, which will, ultimately, be thrown out to the trash.

Grocery shoppers who, unthinkingly, do the above mentioned behaviours, and yet complain about the high cost of groceries.

Marginal income and homeless types who, after shoplifting some grocery items, take home/possess the grocery cart/buggy, thinking it is public property...and yes, they will probably complain about the high cost of groceries..

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Oct 2016, 19:38
Marginal income and homeless types who ... take home/possess the grocery cart/buggy, thinking it is public property...
Yes well, when I was a student it was fairly normal to use the trolley to take the shopping back to college - the porters would make sure Sainsbury's got them back eventually.

What pissed them (the porters) off was when students left the trolleys on the college roof, instead of somewhere civilised such as just round the corner from the porters' lodge.