PDA

View Full Version : CPL(A) Ground School Query

4th Jul 2002, 11:59
I have a PPL(A) with 130 hours and Night and IMC ratings. Aiming for FI and so need the 9 CPL exams and I want to do this via distance leaning.

Any recommendations on a school and experiences of following this route?

FlyingForFun
4th Jul 2002, 13:21
First of all, if there's any chance at all that you might like to do an Instrument Rating at any point in the future, you should do the ATPL exams, not the CPL exams. If you do the CPL exams and the IR exams separately, you'll be duplicating a couple of the exams.

There's a complete list of schools on the CAA's website. I have no idea which schools do CPL exams - most students prefer to go straight for the ATPL exams for the reasons listed above, so I don't think there's much choice of CPL schools - but I haven't looked, so I'm not sure. I'd definitely recommend Bristol for distance learning - that's who I'm doing my ATPL exams with. But I'm not even sure that they do the CPL exams - you'll have to check.

Also, try posting this in Wannabes (if you haven't already) - most CPL/IR stuff goes in there, so you'll probably get a more appropriate audience.

FFF
-------------

BRL
4th Jul 2002, 13:25
Spot on FFF. Post gone to wannabee land.....

phd
4th Jul 2002, 21:51

I am also seriously considering going down this route even though just about everyone you speak to on this subject will try and persuade you to go for the ATPLs and forget the CPL.

The only school currently offering distance learning for the JAR CPL(A) is Atlantic Flight Training at Coventry so you do not have to choose where to go. Full details of all flying training organisations in the UK, and the courses they can offer are available via the CAA website at www.srg.caa.co.uk

For what it is worth my reasons for taking the CPL route are as follows :-

1) The current employment market and my personnel circumstance mean that my initial career aspirations only extend as far as instructing and for this I need only have a CPL(A).

2) The CPL(A) is cheaper to do, takes 2/3 the study time and half the mandatory classroom time, involves fewer exams and I am more likely to pass within the required sittings. The total cost for the ground school and exams together is under £2000.

3) This route is more flexible as you are not compelled to do an IR within 36 months of the ATPL theory pass in order for the theory credit to remain valid for licence issue. After gaining the CPL I can concentrate on gaining experience towards the FI rating and perhaps a multi-rating at my own pace. If the employment market significantly improves over the next few years and the IR starts to look like the right move I will train for it and pay for it then - not now.

4) A CPL-IR holder has virtually all of the same entitlements that an ATPL holder has, apart from not being able to command on a public transport flight in a multi-crew aircraft. All other types of flying can be done on a CPL-IR including co-piloting on public transport.

5) My spouse has been a successful and well paid commercial instructor for over 10 years and has attained all the relevant ticks in all the boxes up to and including the UK-ATPL via the 'self-improver' route. So far the ATPL has never been needed.

Best of luck to you 1013.25.

Evo7
5th Jul 2002, 07:55
phd

Re. point 2, if you look at GID24, requirements for a JAR-FCL CPL(A), it says in Part 2 - Flying Training/Experience requirements

MODULAR COURSE

The aim of this course is to train PPL(A) holders to the level of proficiency necessary for the issue of a CPL(A).

<snipped>

The course comprises of a minumum of 25 hours of flying training and 200 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction

However AFT's course is 490 hours, which isn't much quicker (or cheaper) than the ATPLs. Any idea why?

5th Jul 2002, 08:24
phd

Thank you very much for your reply and I am thinking exactly the same as you. Yes, have seen the Coventry web site and there is another at Cranfield that offers CPL Ground School (can't remember the name but they often advertise in the aviation mags) for about £1,500. Good luck to you!