PDA

View Full Version : Mr Green

57mm
20th Oct 2016, 14:36
Commons votes to strip Mr Spleen of his Knighthood. Couldn't happen fast enough.

Sallyann1234
20th Oct 2016, 14:48
I doubt if he'll lose much sleep over it in his comfortable yacht.

charliegolf
20th Oct 2016, 15:02

I disagree: I suspect that when you want for absolutely nothing, the things you can't buy become the most valuable.

CG

Though, he probably bought the first one, one way or another!

vulcanised
20th Oct 2016, 16:36
A travesty if that is the only loss he suffers.

ExXB
20th Oct 2016, 16:39
A travesty is that the vote isn't binding.

Sallyann1234
20th Oct 2016, 18:07
It's the right thing to do, but it will probably further encourage him not to put any money into the plundered pension fund.

yellowtriumph
20th Oct 2016, 21:18
Who has plundered the pension fund?

Sallyann1234
20th Oct 2016, 22:28
OK, so it was BHS itself that suffered 'systematic plunder' according to MPs.

The pension fund was simply allowed to run into huge deficits.

"Green’s failure to make significant payments into BHS’s pension fund saw its deficit spiral to 571 million"

Sir Philip Green responsible for ?systematic plunder? of BHS, say MPs in scathing report | The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/philip-green-responsible-tragedy-systematic-plunder-bhs-collapse-mps-a7154341.html)

Phalconphixer
21st Oct 2016, 15:29
Couldn't HMRC confiscate the yacht under the 'proceeds of crime act' or for non payment of taxes? Once confiscated it could be handed over to HM Queen as her new 'Royal Yacht' thus killing two birds with one stone...
In the event that such a move is not permitted. presumably the yacht has sea cocks... can they not be accesses from outside... I'm sure the chaps from the SBS or sub-contracted from the SEALs would take some delight in having a live target to play with...

UniFoxOs
21st Oct 2016, 15:56
Unfortunately, as stated on the news last night before the vote, Parliament has no power to strip peolpe of honours, so it may not happen.

er340790
21st Oct 2016, 17:12

Actually, these things are waaaaaaaaayyyy more important to such folk than is generally realised. They are without exception incredibly VAIN.

I used to report to the Chief Exec of a major brewery. Back in the 80s when pay restraint was being urged by Maggie & Co, he awarded himself a 40% pay rise. :oh:

Maggie personally saw to it that his name was removed from the honours list. :} Every previous CEO there had a knighhood since WW2. (Not surprising considering the weekly excise bill I used to hand over to HMRC.)

It was a double whammy. The g1t hung on until Major got into power. Surprise, surprise, he then got his gong, retired and let his wife prance around as Her Ladyship forever. :ugh: :yuk: :yuk: