PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Store Urine In Their Bedrooms??

Garfs
19th Oct 2016, 11:50
Have a relative staying with us while he's at uni, he's 22 and never been away from home and his maids

He announced he was staying for two years (we said he could stay for a couple of weeks till he finds a place before he came)

Doesn't pay any rent and expected us to cook and clean for him and all the usual being messy etc, not cleaning up, leaving food in bedroom, bedroom
A state and all

He's started paying a bit of keep (but always forgets and needs to be reminded)

I then recently found he's been pissing into bottles and storing them in his room . He just leaves the bottles there. I've since had a word and have given him a date to move out. He's leaving in 4 weeks can't wait so that's all sorted

Pleasant to talk
To, but why would anyone piss in a bottle then just leave it in their room for days ?? Why it dispose of it the next morning

Takan Inchovit
19th Oct 2016, 11:52
Just come back from the Olympics?

TowerDog
19th Oct 2016, 11:57
Storing urine is normal if you are a nut case.
Howard Hughes did it..

Why did Howard Hughes store urine in jars? (http://www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question115417.html)

sitigeltfel
19th Oct 2016, 12:01
His behaviour suggests he has been pissing all over you since he arrived.

Loose rivets
19th Oct 2016, 12:09
I assume there are parents alive. If there are, I'd have a word with them. I had a pal who collected his fingernail clippings and nothing would induce him to throw them away. There were a lot of other symptoms but the disgusting ones tend to remain in my memory.

He was tall and had an excellent vocabulary delivered with a confident public school accent, but his decent into severe psychosis was steady and deeply disturbing to those around him.

He died seemingly naturally, though gravely overweight.

Heston
19th Oct 2016, 12:19
A quick G00gling also reveals -
"Storing bottles of urine is not uncommon in the drug abuse culture. Stored urine, if it’s “clean” and from a non-using individual, can be sold for use during mandatory drug screening for individuals on parole or probation"

onetrack
19th Oct 2016, 12:51
Well, in days of old (and not so old, because I can recall these things), it was common to keep one of these under the bed. Something to do with outside toilets, and avoiding freezing to death on cold nights, they was.

Chamber pots (https://www.google.com.au/search?q=chamber+pot&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjmgruc5ubPAhUP2WMKHbCrAHkQsAQINQ&biw=1920&bih=950)

rans6andrew
19th Oct 2016, 14:05
Guzzundas!!!

'cos they guz unda the bed.

VP959
19th Oct 2016, 14:20
My brother did this for years, in fact he may well do it still, I've had no meaningful contact with him for 40 odd years. There's no doubt at all that he has mental health issues, not enough for him or others to seek treatment, but enough to make him really hard work to be around.

In his case it started when he was quite young. I'm 4 years older than him and can remember him coming out to play carrying a bottle in which to piss in, rather than just piss in the woods like the rest of us.

He has a wide range of odd behaviour, and the collecting of urine in bottles in his bedroom was just one of them. It may well be that it's a symptom of something deeper, but, TBH, I've never really thought about it much, as we just don't get on with each other.

onetrack
19th Oct 2016, 14:33
Does this make all pilots of light aircraft, who store their urine in bottles in the cockpit of their aircraft, a little "odd"? :p

wiggy
19th Oct 2016, 15:01
Maybe doing this might resolve the problem....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxcdE-sim6c

Loose rivets
19th Oct 2016, 15:57
I visited a mill a while back and the lady told me that the producers of cloth would pay a penny a pot for pee. It sees that if you were a redhead, you were in luck as the pee was much more valuable, at tuppence a pot.

"He hasn't got a pot to piss into" was clearly an indication of a person being behind the financial drag curve.

larssnowpharter
19th Oct 2016, 16:18
Years ago, when I was about 8 years old, when we were making the annual pilgrimage to my grandparents ancient farmhouse in the middle of Ireland, I decided on a 'wizzard prank.

This consisted of placing a goodly amount of bath salts in the potty under grandmothers bed.

In the middle of the night they duly effervesced accompanied by a great deal of screaming and shouting.

Father did not think it was funny and I had the welts across my bottom for a week to show his displeasure.:(

finfly1
19th Oct 2016, 16:24
toiletphobia

Loose rivets
19th Oct 2016, 16:28
Whelts or wheals? One would not like either on one's bottom.

I suppose I have more than a hint of that, fin. I even had bad dreams about shi11y loos. To me, a loo has to be spotless, unless it's my grot - that doesn't count if it's not horrible grot.

The Rivetess used to holler at me, 'Dirt is dirt! I doesn't matter who's dirt it is!!!!' No, still don't get it, but let's be clear, I'm not talking about poo, unless it's less than one pico-gram in weight and bleached in tropical sunlight for 27 years. Probably wouldn't mind that.

ramble on
19th Oct 2016, 18:39
Surely he's just takin the piss!

The new "black hole" generation is draw dropping. Black hole because everything gravitates towards them and disappears.

Local Variation
19th Oct 2016, 18:58
University students. Enough said.

My work has taken me into student accomodation blocks around the UK. Some shocking sights of people (both sexes) living like animals. You would need a tetanus jab to clear it all up.

Mrs LV is a University Lecturer. The daft buggers can't even copy correctly from a reference book. Work is riddled with mistakes you would only expect to see from a small child. Yet somehow, they've turned up with a sack load of A levels after leaving school. Marking their lazy approach to work induces depression.

I guess his answer to why store urine would be why not ?

Garfs
19th Oct 2016, 21:16
Well I definitely don't think he's a user (or knows anyone who is). I don't think he even knows the difference between a spliff and a needle.

All I can say is I think it's definitely
Down to laziness. Getting him to Hoover or clean his room is like pulling teeth.

All I know is I can't wait for the few
Weeks to be up.

I certainly hope he's made arrangements for somewhere to stay in advance

Stanwell
19th Oct 2016, 21:53
I once had a daughter like that.
While I suspect she would have had trouble pizzing in a bottle, everything else was pretty bad for a while.
Thankfully, she grew up.

Hydromet
19th Oct 2016, 22:25
Put him in touch with a luthier. Some steep the wood to be used for violins etc. in urine before use. (although most supply their own).

ShyTorque
19th Oct 2016, 22:33
One of my relatives never even bothered using a bottle....

Mechta
19th Oct 2016, 22:41
A gardening programme recommended collecting one's urine to use as a compost heap accelerator.

ShyTorque
19th Oct 2016, 23:01
A gardening programme recommended collecting one's urine to use as a compost heap accelerator.
Puts a slightly different slant on the expression "garden sprinkler"..

Tankertrashnav
19th Oct 2016, 23:21
University students. Enough said.

My work has taken me into student accommodation blocks around the UK. Some shocking sights of people (both sexes) living like animals. You would need a tetanus jab to clear it all up.

When I was at uni in my 40s I went along with a fellow mature student who was thinking of buying a house which was currently let to students. As we arrived to look the place over the neighbours came out and asked us eagerly if we were the public health people come to inspect the house, which they said was a health hazard. They weren't kidding. I have never seen such a pigsty - mounds of unwashed dishes, discarded takeaway packaging and food scraps everywhere and dozens of uncollected bin bags in the back yard which stank. They even had a guinea pig hutch on the lounge carpet.

Needless to say our visit was brief and my friend did not buy the house!

parabellum
20th Oct 2016, 00:50
Down here in Oz it is not uncommon for the men of the household to have their 'good night' pee over the ground surrounding the root area of citrus trees. Not a lot of people know that! :)

onetrack
20th Oct 2016, 02:25
I thought it was fairly well known that pissing on citrus trees is exceptionally good for producing excellent fruit.
Urine contains significent levels of nitrogen in the form of urea, and dog piss in particular, is exceptionally high in nitrogen.
SIL's (female) Blue Heeler used to piss regularly on the parents lawn, and the lawn regularly produced patches of explosive green growth, at every patch where the dog had pissed.

Hydromet - Did those violins produced from the wood steeped in urine, piss all over any other violin, just made from ordinary wood? Is that the secret behind the Stradivarius violins? :)

India Four Two
20th Oct 2016, 03:09
Down here in Oz it is not uncommon for the men of the household to have their 'good night' pee over the ground surrounding the root area of citrus trees.

That practice features prominently in the movie "The World's Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins as Burt Munro.

Hydromet
20th Oct 2016, 07:47
Hydromet - Did those violins produced from the wood steeped in urine, piss all over any other violin, just made from ordinary wood? Is that the secret behind the Stradivarius violins?
Don't know about that, but apparently it helps to make for a good fiddle.

I heard a (female) gardening guru say that female urine is good for rhubarb plants.

jolihokistix
20th Oct 2016, 07:53
Some health gurus in India including one former Prime Minister recommend drinking your own urine. Early morning and mid-stream is recommended. Hayashibara in Japan went further and developed pills to drop into it to improve the flavour.

It strikes me that if ever you are tempted to try it, the Golden Rule should be never to tell anyone that you have.

DirtyProp
20th Oct 2016, 08:28
Puts a slightly different slant on the expression "garden sprinkler"..

Or "garden hose", as somebody would call their appendage.

I'm amazed at the cultural quality and diversity of this forum.
When I joined Pprune I was sure to get a good aviation education (and to finally participate in the CapCom thread), but I never imagined to get a schooling about urine.
Goes to show my ignorance.
I should call some Sicilian friends and ask them why their Limoncello is so good, but now I'm afraid to ask.
Ignorance is bliss, sometimes.

jolihokistix
20th Oct 2016, 10:11
Perhaps this thread should get moved over to Friday Jokes...?

CargoMatatu
20th Oct 2016, 10:20
Why? It's not Friday! :E

cattletruck
20th Oct 2016, 11:08
Funny about this topic, 15 years ago while working in the garage I did a whizz in a plastic coke bottle as a matter of convenience. It's still there, I always knew it was there but keep forgetting to chuck it out. Now I'm curious about it but not game in twisting open the top.

Maybe I'm subconsciously saving it for someone special.

Stanwell
20th Oct 2016, 11:39
I'll give you a tip..
Don't whizz in a beer stubby and put the top back on.
Why?
Because a well-meaning person will come along later and think it belongs in the fridge.
You have been warned.

ShyTorque
20th Oct 2016, 12:14
I've noticed that some drivers pee in soft drinks bottles and chuck them out on the road. At least, that's what it looks is in those discarded bottles at the side of the road. It's certainly not Coca Cola..but it probably once was.

JEM60
20th Oct 2016, 12:33
Got used to a 'pee' bottle in hospital. Wife very restless at night, so I change rooms halfway through the night. I have a pee bottle in there. Much better than getting out of a warm bed to do it!!. I also have a one in the boot of my car. VERY convenient on a long journey, but only used when driving 'solo'. They can be obtained from any chemist, have a proper secure top on them, and I find the very convenient.[sort of pun]. As one gets older, one doesn't get so much warning...........

G-CPTN
20th Oct 2016, 15:08
This thread has revived a memory from my youth.
As a family our summer holiday involved camping (under canvas).
The males were able to take care of their needs 'outside', but the females used to resort to a pineapple tin (presumably because it was wider than other tins).
Tinned pineapple became a staple requirement of supplies for the holiday.

57mm
20th Oct 2016, 15:27
One of our QFIs at Valley would get very smashed at Happy Hour, then during the night would, for some reason, get up and pee in a drawer in the bedroom. Maybe that counts as storage....

Flight_Idle
20th Oct 2016, 15:57
Mucky university students should be issued with those nice 'Pilots relief tubes', very smart looking with those chrome 'Flip lid' tops. Just a case of emptying them down the sink in the morning before washing their faces.

The less mucky ones could probably make it directly to the sink at night.

PDR1
20th Oct 2016, 16:03
Some health gurus in India including one former Prime Minister recommend drinking your own urine. Early morning and mid-stream is recommended. Hayashibara in Japan went further and developed pills to drop into it to improve the flavour.

It strikes me that if ever you are tempted to try it, the Golden Rule should be never to tell anyone that you have.

Well if you were ever tempted to try it and wanted to know what it would taste like you just need to try a typical american draught beer - which is essentially the same thing...

:E

PDR

jolihokistix
20th Oct 2016, 16:15
Maybe essentially the same, PDR1, but the beer needs filtering first.

PDR1
20th Oct 2016, 16:17
ROFLMAO!

PDR

Hempy
20th Oct 2016, 16:43
Why Do People Store Urine In Their Bedrooms??

I take it that this is a particularly British thing????

NRU74
20th Oct 2016, 17:03
Garfs,
As a matter of interest, what is this chap studying ?

SpringHeeledJack
20th Oct 2016, 17:18
In the case of the OP's 'guest' it seems that it's about downright sloth and laziness. Blame the parents! There might be a mental health issue that is developing, be glad that they are moving away, or p1ssing off as it were :-)

A girlfriend many years ago had a long suffering sister who's partner liked to go out with the boys at the weekend. He'd stagger home and on more than a few occasions be so inebriated that he thought the end of the bed was the toilet and would spray away to his heart's content on said bed and partner until the screams became so loud as to jolt him into some semblance of awareness. They didn't last the course...

PDR1
20th Oct 2016, 17:45
I take it that this is a particularly British thing????

Not so much a "British" thing as a known symptom of mental illness, so it's obviously most common amongst Trump and Brexit supporters...

:E

PDR

Hempy
20th Oct 2016, 17:49
Never heard of it or seen it, but fair explanation PDR1.

In Australia we generally go to the toilet...

ShyTorque
20th Oct 2016, 17:55
Never heard of it or seen it, but fair explanation PDR1.

Course ya' do!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpl5-alarwqeO6ChPloWpi9vEWfpMblrsUc7ute4bYRZRmnU9Kew

PDR1
20th Oct 2016, 18:04

Yes, so I understand. Although while I was there we just called it "Roxby Downs"...

PDR

Hempy
20th Oct 2016, 18:09
Yeah, sorry. I sould have said 'In my lifetime, in Australia we generally use the toilet'. I wasn't around in the 1950's or 1960's...

lol PDR, today it's called Cabramatta..

PDR1
20th Oct 2016, 18:22
Well my mother was born in Brisbane (her dad was RAN) and brought up in Sydney and then Perth, and my Sister may have been born a pomme but now lives in Sydney (she edits the AWW). Me - I've only been to Adelaide and Woomera (we shopped in Roxby).

Woomera has a lovely beach, but the tide always seems to be out...

PDR

Jonno_aus
20th Oct 2016, 18:25
Don't you mean Sydney, Hempy?

Worlds biggest toilet.... :D

Hempy
20th Oct 2016, 18:36
Fair cop Jonno. Just don't try pissing in the street in Rose Bay or Vaucluse, ok? :ok:

Lonewolf_50
20th Oct 2016, 19:32
<li style="display: inline-block;">Why Do People Store Urine In Their Bedrooms?? It seems to me the inevitable problem of taking the piss (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_piss): once you've taken it, what do you do with it? Storing it in a bottle seems a reasonable decision.

ShyTorque
20th Oct 2016, 21:33
It seems to me the inevitable problem of taking the piss (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taking_the_piss): once you've taken it, what do you do with it? Storing it in a bottle seems a reasonable decision.
Surely, it should be described as "giving" not "taking" one.

Private jet
21st Oct 2016, 13:29
Re messy students: Back in the early 90's I dated a student nurse who had accomodation in a block on the hospital grounds. It reminded me of one of those Eastern block, soviet era buildings, very austere and drab looking. Inside it was pretty grotty too. The kitchen & common areas had some remnants of their diet of coffee, chocolate and fast food. Three things that stick in my mind. One was the constant smell of hair products, perfumes and nail polish remover (In those days about 95% of student nurses were young women and also apparently they couldn't go into work with coloured varnish on their nails so if they had been on a night out it always had to come off the next day) Secondly it was before the era of mass mobile phone ownership so the only communication with the "outside world" was a tatty grubby payphone in the lobby which you wouldn't want to touch and was invariably either u/s or engaged! (Seems so quaint and old fashioned now but it was only just over 20 years ago) Thirdly my girlfriend always used to half joke that "there's more drugs here in the nurses home than there are in the hospital!".....Never saw any bottles of pee though, they definately were next door in the hospital.

Hempy
21st Oct 2016, 13:49
PJ, St Andrews college at the University of Sydney is located directly next door to the nurses quarters of the Royal Prince Alfred hospital. In fact their balconies overlook the Andrews sports oval.

Every day at St Andrews there is a touch football game at 5pm. College rules state that if you fail to score a try during the match, the entire losing team is required to strip naked and run a lap of the oval. aka 'bollocks'.

The nurses balconies were always full at approx 5:45 every day of the week!

Garfs
21st Oct 2016, 23:31
From the OP

Well since expressing my discontent towards urine storing antics, he seems to be using the toilet instead now. We haven't heard a peep from his mother (who left him here 3 months ago) which we find rather bizarre.

I do remember colleagues having to "go" in bottles etc (couldn't find any toilets in those helicopters we had) and some those 2 hour legs were a little long for us rotorheads, but we definitely didn't choose to store our excrement afterwards

Anyway 3 and a half weeks and counting till hes Meant to move. I can't wait!!!

jolihokistix
22nd Oct 2016, 05:38
There, you've got him to do something his mother couldn't. Already this has been a worthwhile exercise, from her point of view, I am sure. The Japanese have a saying, かわいい子には旅をさせよ
which roughly means "if you love your child, send him/her out into the world".

Garfs
22nd Oct 2016, 07:09
Hey nru74

Either mechanical or chemical engineering as far as I know and I believe He's going into his final year soon

evansb
22nd Oct 2016, 07:51
Re the Japanese parental expression: "...out into the world" It does not translate to "...OUT of this world." Just saying..

Regardless,

I am saddened by the failure of the Mars lander. I advocate unmanned extra-terrestrial exploration. The potential of a new understanding of our cosmos is inestimable.

Windy Militant
23rd Oct 2016, 23:23
Either mechanical or chemical engineering

Chemical engineering, he's not making Saltpetre or Phosphorus is he? :suspect: