PDA

View Full Version : Does Air New Zealand hire Americans or non kiwis?

Sfopilot207
19th Oct 2016, 01:13
Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any Americans or non kiwis flying for Air New Zealand ?
I am currently a A320 FO for Virgin America out of SFO. I am looking to see what it would take to apply to Air New Zealand. My wife is a kiwi and so I am working on sorting out a NZ residency visa soon. Also I know I would have to convert my FAA ATPL to work down in NZ. Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of anyone successfully being able to make the jump and get on with ANZ?
Would be my dream airline and I wouldn't mind if I get stuck as a 320 FO or 787/777 SO. Just would love to shift down there and fly for them. Thanks everyone and cheers !

RodH
19th Oct 2016, 02:23
Air NZ are very flexible about allowing all types to fly with them. They have even taken to allowing a DUCK to fly for them. Good to see that instead of feathering their own nests in their selection process!!
I will probably have to " duck " for cover after this post!!!

Jenna Talia
19th Oct 2016, 03:03
I know an American guy flying for them. Good bloke too.

2EggOmelette
19th Oct 2016, 11:49
I know of a few internationals with Air NZ. Given your experience, valid ICAO ATPL and right to work in NZ then I would see no problem. Even if your Visa has not been accepted yet I would suggest calling them anyway as they might be able to expedite that (I say this with no reference, but I see no reason why they would not). As ElZilcho says, get in quick, they are hiring. Best of luck.

Sfopilot207
29th Oct 2016, 07:14
Thanks everyone, I am hoping that the A320 type helps out with the application. Just wondering if anyone has any updates on what the future fleet plans may be? I know they have a few more 787's coming their way as they retire the 767 fleet by April of next year. Also with the addition of the 320neo's coming soon to replace some of the older airbus fleets they have. As of right now I just say the advertisement for the link fleet on the Air NZ website and no openings for the jet fleet. Wondering if I should still shoot them an email with my details.
Any other tips or advice or anything is greatly appreciated ! Cheers!

chance
30th Oct 2016, 00:40
NZ is a good airline but a lot of the locals flight deck crew seem to think they are god's gift to aviation and will tell so at every opportunity. They seem to have a chip on the shoulder for whatever reason, particularly with Aussies and Yanks. Being a Pom they leave us alone - must be the mother country respect!
When you remind them of the DC10 accident at Mt Erebus in 1979 and the A320 test flight accident at Canet-en-Roussillon , France in 2008, they suddenly go quiet.
That said, NZ is a great place to live and they have a top quality aircraft fleet. Go for it at ANZ but keep in mind that they are not as successful as say Emirates at blending multicultural crews.

esreverlluf
30th Oct 2016, 07:08
. . . and once you get the Air Bro job, don't forget to read the QNH back at every possible opportunity - especially if you're not in NZ airpspace and it is not required. :ok:

kev2002
30th Oct 2016, 08:44
Wow chance. An expert from the outside looking in?

Heaps of non-kiwis joining which is great and adds to the range of experience up front. Never heard of any recent issues due to foreigners flying with kiwis.

Plus us kiwis, aussies and yanks all have something in common.... Laughing at the numerous whingy poms who call our shores home - behind their backs of course. (Makes them feel like the empire is still relevant).

High_To_Low
30th Oct 2016, 09:08
Hi Sfopilot207

To answer your question from someone in the know - I'm a born and bred Aussie (I do have family that reside in NZ though) and I start with Air NZ in January.
I did go out of my way (not required but felt like it showed passion and dedication) to get my NZCAA ATPL and medical completed BEFORE interview day.
Could not be more excited and so far the people at Air NZ I have dealt with (HR and the pilot recruiting team on my interview day) have been absolutely fantastic and so very helpful, supportive and friendly to someone who is 'non kiwi'. They seem to embrace diversity and experience from different parts of the globe so I'd say if you want to work for the best airline in the world GO FOR IT!!!
They don't care whether you're black, white, Indian, British (you get my point) or that you can fly a jet (you wouldn't be there interviewing if you couldn't), they really want to nut out the type of person you are and whether you're a fit for the Air NZ culture (not my words but one of the recruiters we had on our 2 day assessment).

Good luck and hopefully we will meet someday at Air NZ!

troppo
30th Oct 2016, 09:37
Yup. Nz sure embraces diversity. Good luck with the Auckland housing market. You're about 15 years post expiry date as far as NZ is concerned. All the educated and mobile have long since departed.

waren9
31st Oct 2016, 01:43
Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone knows if there are any Americans or non kiwis flying for Air New Zealand ?
I am currently a A320 FO for Virgin America out of SFO. I am looking to see what it would take to apply to Air New Zealand. My wife is a kiwi and so I am working on sorting out a NZ residency visa soon. Also I know I would have to convert my FAA ATPL to work down in NZ. Just wondering if anyone has knowledge of anyone successfully being able to make the jump and get on with ANZ?
Would be my dream airline and I wouldn't mind if I get stuck as a 320 FO or 787/777 SO. Just would love to shift down there and fly for them. Thanks everyone and cheers !
air nz dont care who you are or where you're from if you have/can get a local licence and residency.

hiring is forecast to slow a bit on what it has been i hear, but i would encourage you to get your name in the system anyway. you never know.

Sfopilot207
3rd Nov 2016, 06:35
Thanks guys, just sent in a friendly email to the pilot recruitment office, just to inquire and ask a few questions about recruitment and A320 typed applicants.

Troppo- No worries mate, I live in San Francisco which is a much worse housing market than Auckland. For what you pay for here, it should be a national crime

ElZilcho- I check the Air Nz webpage almost everyday for any new postings. I don't mind waiting to the start of the new year, that means In the mean time I can try to get more hours on type which is hard since I am on standby rosters, being relatively junior.

goschja
4th Oct 2023, 18:30
Hey were you able to get down to NZ and fly. I am in the same boat as you I want to move down to AUS or NZ. If you were successful wanted to know if there was any information that you have that might help me get down there to fly.

krismiler
5th Oct 2023, 10:51
One of our A320 Captains got a job there but subsequently withdrew his application when he saw how long it would take him to get back in the LHS. A great place if you join young and can afford to wait nearly 20 years to upgrade, this may have changed but it’s worth considering if you’re the wrong side of 30.

goschja
5th Oct 2023, 17:26
One of our A320 Captains got a job there but subsequently withdrew his application when he saw how long it would take him to get back in the LHS. A great place if you join young and can afford to wait nearly 20 years to upgrade, this may have changed but it’s worth considering if you’re the wrong side of 30.
Thank you for that. I am from the states but just want to live and work in Australia and thought that going through Air New Zealand would be a good rout. Was your friend a citizen? And was it hard for him to get the job if he wasn’t?