PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS Sierra

yellowtriumph
18th Oct 2016, 12:57
My iMac currently running El Capitan is inviting me to upgrade to this new OS, any thoughts from the team?

PPRuNe Towers
18th Oct 2016, 13:08
I'm holding off but many do till seeing the first service release or read up on on early adopter experiences.

In my case its due to the rather unusual dye sublimation printers I run being Japanese made where Macs are historically poorly supported. Checked last night and a beta driver is running that you have to sign up. So, enough for me to hang on to El Cap for a while.

Rob

ExXB
18th Oct 2016, 15:58
No urgency, will wait a few weeks. As a previous early adopter I learned to regret it. Most issues are fixed in the .01 update.

Oh, and it's no longer OS X, it's Mac OS. :*

yellowtriumph
19th Oct 2016, 13:22
Thank you for your replies. I will do as you advise and hold back for the time being especially as all seems to work for me at present. Still very pleased with our iMac purchase.

PAXfips
19th Oct 2016, 14:17
If you use SSH a lot, beware that Sierra updates to OpenSSH 7 which disables several "outdated" stuff.

Also waiting for "1. fix on top"

ChickenHouse
20th Oct 2016, 07:28
If you use a conventional hard drive, avoid macOS Sierra at all, it is even slower compared to El Capitan.

Denti
20th Oct 2016, 11:22
Interesting. No noticeable speed difference on my 12' Macbook, and no problems either with Sierra. Haven't used it on any other Mac so far.

MoateAir
20th Oct 2016, 14:33
Updated both the iMac and the MBP. Both working fine but startup time is slightly longer. Maybe something to do with the first desktop version of Siri. Other than that, all add-ons and peripherals work as expected.

yellowtriumph
20th Oct 2016, 19:11
PAXfips & ChickenHouse. I don't know what SSH is. Should I be concerned? I just hit the space bar to wake it up, use it, and put it back to sleep. I do shut down the iMac once a week or so as I think that's likely good practice.

My HD is the 1GB fusion drive, overall machine usage speed is ok for me now on El Capitan.

I'm intrigued by the prospect of 'Siri', I gather that's voice control or interfacing or some such.

I'm not convinced I need any of it, but if I chat to Apple support as I do occasionally they may not want to deal with me if my iMac is not running the latest suggested software, and I do find the Apple support chatline superb.

PAXfips
20th Oct 2016, 19:30
SSH is a secure way to login into remote computers. If you dont know what it is, you're not using it and thus dont need to have heads up on it right now :).

mcdhu
21st Oct 2016, 16:04
Working well here on a 2009+ iMac with 1Tb HD and 8G RAM.
The only slight gripe is that it takes a while (30 secs!) to re-establish the wifi connection after waking from sleep.
mcdhu