PDA

View Full Version : ARFOR, AIRMET and SIGMET Changes on 10 Nov 2016

Slugfest
17th Oct 2016, 22:46
Information pertaining tochanges to ARFOR, AIRMET and SIGMET products which is effective from 10November 2016 are now available on the Bureau’s website.

The information can be accessed at http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/product-changes/index.shtml (http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/product-changes/index.shtml)

A comprehensive guide to the changes to the AIRMET and ARFORcan be assessed at http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/product-changes/AIRMET-User-Guide-v1.0.pdf (http://www.bom.gov.au/aviation/product-changes/AIRMET-User-Guide-v1.0.pdf)

mikewil
17th Oct 2016, 23:47
Weren't they also supposed to be significantly reducing the number of ARFOR zones to about a third of what they are now? I was looking forward to not having to look at 5 separate ARFORs for a flight of under 200nm.

Lead Balloon
18th Oct 2016, 00:48
Gawd - I would have preferred more rather than fewer.

Having e.g. almost the entirety of Victoria as one Area (30), notwithstanding the broad spectrum of factors that usually result in vastly different conditions in different places throughout that Area, doesn't make sense to me.

Chunking e.g. NSW into Areas effectively divided East and West of the GDR seems to make sense, given the differences in weather conditions that often arise as a consequence of the GDR and the coast etc.

(As a matter of interest, on what flight under 200nm do you traverse 5 Areas?)

mikewil
18th Oct 2016, 01:33
As a matter of interest, on what flight under 200nm do you traverse 5 Areas?

May have been a slight exaggeration by saying 5, however I am pretty sure I needed to refer to 4 AIRFORs on a trip from Pt Augusta to Coober Pedy.

Stretch06
18th Oct 2016, 01:34
mikewil, the reduction of number of ARFOR areas commences next Nov (2017) at the same time that the GAFs commence

Stretch

fujii
18th Oct 2016, 01:39
Looking at the PCA, YPAG - YCBP, two areas. At a stretch three.

Lead Balloon
18th Oct 2016, 02:16
You're over-thinking it if you get more than 2 for that flight.

Slugfest
18th Oct 2016, 03:31
In Nov 2017...

there will be 10 GAF areas replacing the current 28 ARFOR areas.
GAF will not contain wind information.
9 New low level GRID POINT wind and temperature charts will supplement GAF.
GAF and GRID POINT wind coverage areas will not be coincident.
AQNH boundaries (current ARFOR areas) will remain

Lead Balloon
18th Oct 2016, 05:32
I'm intrigued by the suggestion, in the ARFOR brochure, that the ARFOR system is "designed primarily to meet the needs of general aviation pilots". This is in the context of explanatory material that refers to compliance with Annex 3 of ICAO.

Annex 3 is titled "Meteorological Service for International Air Navigation". Part 1 of Annex 3 contains the core SARPs.

Provision 2.1 of Part 1 says, in part:2.1.1. The objective of meteorological service for international air navigation shall be to contribute towards the safety, regularity and efficiency of international air navigation.

2.1.2 This objective shall be achieved by supplying the following users: operators, flight crew members, air traffic service units, search and rescue services units, airport managements and other concerned with the conduct or development of international air navigation, with the meteorological information necessary for the performance of their respective functions.Chapter 6 of Annex 3 - also in Part 1 - deals with forecasts. Sub-chapter 6.5 deals with Area forecasts for low level flights. It says, in part:6.5.1 When the density of traffic operation below flight 100 (or up to flight level 150 in mountainous areas, or higher, where necessary) warrants the routine issue and dissemination of area forecasts for such operations, the frequency of issue, the form and the fixed time or period of validity of those forecasts and the criteria for amendments thereto shall be determined by the meteorological authority in consultation with the users.Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that the ARFOR system is designed to contribute to the safety, regularity and efficiency of international air navigation, in accordance with Annex 3? Although it's true that the majority of pilots who use ARFORs may be GA pilots who enjoy a substantial safety benefit from the information, they are not the only users and one of the reasons for their use of ARFORs is to reduce the risk of bumbling across the flight path of international airliners, and others, flying into and out of airports.

I don't recall being consulted about this (but I do lead a sheltered life):In Nov 2017...

1. there will be 10 GAF areas replacing the current 28 ARFOR areas.
2. GAF will not contain wind information.
3. 9 New low level GRID POINT wind and temperature charts will supplement GAF.
4. GAF and GRID POINT wind coverage areas will not be coincident.
5. ...