PDA

View Full Version : Another serviceman being investigated.

ArthurR
16th Oct 2016, 09:10
MoD censors soldier's account of Iraq 'mercy killing' then reports him to police: Despicable betrayal of an SAS hero who insists troops 'pleaded with us to do it... they were in agony' | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3840003/MoD-censors-soldier-s-account-Iraq-mercy-killing-reports-police-Despicable-betrayal-SAS-hero-insists-troops-pleaded-agony.html)

I can not understand why anybody would want to join the forces these days, when even your supposed chiefs are against you.

vapilot2004
16th Oct 2016, 09:30
The MoD action against the decorated SAS soldier is most unfortunate as was his decision to be honest in the telling. Here is an example of our own governments unfairly going after those that were tasked with a job (well done) that most could hardly stomach, let alone do. Hopefully the courts will get it right.

There are some that like to blame Obama for the ill-timed pull out but the withdrawal of coalition troops in Iraq was decided years before and was based upon the fact that the new Iraqi government refused to grant immunity to what would have been military occupiers had we stayed.

ORAC
16th Oct 2016, 10:13
As Colonel Kemp remarked on the BBC this morning, once he had confessed in writing the MOD were legally obliged to report it to the authorities, who are equally as obliged to investigate it.

The circumstances described seem to put it in the same category as a mercy killing, and - as the Colonel also said - one hopes the public prosecutor would take the same view, and if it went to court the jury would be of the same opinion.

VP959
16th Oct 2016, 10:48
The issue of how to deal humanely with someone who is certain to die anyway really needs to be clarified in the Geneva Convention. For decades we've had to put service people in the invidious position of making a humane decision that they know could result in them being prosecuted. That seems to me to be grossly unreasonable.

Clearly there needs to be a tight definition as to when a "mercy killing" is justified, but all of the cases I've read of seem to have been justified. Either the person killed was so close to death that no amount of medical treatment could save them, or medical assistance was just too far away to be able to get to them in time.

The problem here isn't with the MoD or the prosecutors, it's with the law, and that should be changed to stop actions like this from wasting tax payers money and causing unnecessary stress to guys who've had to do a very tough job under difficult decisions.

Pinky the pilot
16th Oct 2016, 11:14
Going back even further in time; My late Uncle served in the AIF in Papua New Guinea during WW11 with what later became known (unofficially some would say) as a Commando Unit.

Only very rarely he would talk of his experiences. Some of his stories involving captured Japanese Soldiers, not necessarily wounded either, were shall we say...disturbing!

Why don't we just leave it all there! My Uncle had to, and did, live with it!

PDR1
16th Oct 2016, 11:17
There is the minor detail that under current UK law even a "justified mercy killing" is still murder - our law does not allow euthenasia regardless of the consent of the "victim".

PDR

Tankertrashnav
16th Oct 2016, 11:54
Further to Pinky's post I have heard tales of badly wounded soldiers unable to walk or be carried on jungle patrols being shot by their own comrades rather than being left to the "tender mercies" of the Japanese army if they were captured.

Personally while I have absolutely no problem with what this soldier did, I cant help feeling he was very unwise to go into print about it, especially in light of the case of Sergeant Blackman, RM. Least said ..., etc

Checkboard
16th Oct 2016, 14:18
It does seem nonsensical that firing the weapon which kills many and disembowels some is fair warlike practice - but popping the disembowelled off on their way is vile murder...

radeng
16th Oct 2016, 22:36
Meanwhile, the two men basically responsible for who knows how many hundreds of thousands of Iraqi, US and British deaths get away scot free and make millions out of it in addition....

ArthurR
17th Oct 2016, 07:18
Radeng, you seem to forget, they are, or were politicians, they are above God.

beeg0d
17th Oct 2016, 08:46
This guy only has himself to blaim. Im sure the MOD know it happens and simply look the other way for obviously reasons. But when you have a fame seeking former SAS man shouting look at me publishing his illegal (though morally justifyable) actions the MOD simply cant look away.

Nervous SLF
17th Oct 2016, 09:02
I read that now he says that it was his ghost writer who said it and it didn't happen like was said in the book.
Well like Tankertrashnav said I think it was very unwise to even mention it and for someone who supposedly
lived in a world of secrecy I am frankly amazed that it would be even hinted at let alone put into a book. Oh yes
and how come he didn't read it before publication ?

ExXB
17th Oct 2016, 09:50
In modern Britain, only the bankers are above the law.

parabellum
18th Oct 2016, 08:34
Several parts of the book, "The one that got away" were, 'ghost written', it has been claimed and are pure fabrication, designed to spice up the otherwise unexciting but extraordinary tale of endurance.