PDA

View Full Version : Money Advice

lukeh08
14th Oct 2016, 07:35
Hi all, I'm wondering if any of the pilots employed by the airline industry could give me any advice on the cheapest way to become a pilot, I am currently doing my PPL at EGNX, and my Instructor told me not to go to places like CAE Oxford as I can become a pilot for half the money if I was to do it all by myself. He thinks I could do it for about £50-60k

Thanks everyone.

jamesgrainge
14th Oct 2016, 18:50
With some research you can do it for somewhere around £30k to CPL level.

lukeh08
14th Oct 2016, 19:01
That's a huge saving compared to what CAE Oxford are asking for! Obviously that excludes the type rating, but does that include everything from base PPL to full CPL? If so thanks a lot, i will really dig into some research and see what i can do.

fraser1
14th Oct 2016, 20:10
With some research you can do it for somewhere around £30k to CPL level.

Where would you suggest going to get it for that price?

jamesgrainge
15th Oct 2016, 13:16
Nowhere that claims they are feeding you straight into the line. Also depends a lot on your hour building. Which is an annoyingly costly part of the training.:mad:

Obviously that doesn't include MCC,JOC or FI if that's your bag.

Alex Whittingham
15th Oct 2016, 14:07
With apologies for it only being Wings Alliance members (other providers will offer similarly priced products) you can get some idea of comparative costs for all elements in our cost comparator (https://www.wingsalliance.eu/training/pilot-training-budget-calculator/). 10% contingency and elements of accommodation are included, you should be able to get a CPL/IR including UPRT at Ultimate High and and a decent MCC/JOC for about £45K, £30K should be achievable if you exclude accommodation and MCC/JOC. It might be slightly higher now because of the exchange rate, but even so.. .

Prices rise if you have to or choose to do all your training in a specific location, I'd say the max would be about £62K.

Rock bottom prices for integrated courses (which lead to less flying hours) are about €40K although that may be for a CPL course that does not include MCC. That tells you something about the potential profits.

SeventhHeaven
15th Oct 2016, 14:26
At the risk of sounding facetious - Whenever people say "I did it for xx£" please realise they are most likely talking about a time when the £ was more valuable, so you got more for your money.

lukeh08
16th Oct 2016, 22:51
Thank you for all your help everyone, it is much appreciated!

inabw
20th Oct 2016, 05:58
I'm in the same situation; i'm lookin for a cheapest way to save my money and complete the training.
Howewer, ctc,cae and the others schools, aren't a must.
I saw in Poland and also in others countries, there are some schools with very good pricez to complete the hours building for Cpl/Ir/Mep/ and Mcc.
Take a search on google.

B2N2
20th Oct 2016, 23:51
There is no cheap way.
You will end up paying now or paying...later.
There is no substitute for good instruction and a good school.
Hard to explain later how you failed a type rating because you foundation...is poor.

jamesgrainge
21st Oct 2016, 06:39
However, do not confuse value for money for poor training. If you consider a competent pilot will endeavour to train himself and his own skills outside of the training environment and always try to improve, you should have no issues with a more cost effective route.

NatHiscocks
22nd Oct 2016, 11:31
There is no cheap way, however there are CHEAPER ways than CTC and Oxford.

1. Get a full sponsorship - pretty rare now but give an application a go!

2. A good friend of mine is doing it with a company called LoganAir up in Scotland, they have partnered with a company called TAYSIDE AVIATION. They do it for around the 35K-60K mark. Take a look, but you need a massive amount of motivation and confidence to learn it all at home, as its all home based study. You can pay extra to stay there but that would take you upto the CTC and Oxford price.

3. Find somewhere other than the UK to train. The US do it very cheaply, and also focus a lot more on can you fly, instead of can you work out what currency conversions are. My flight instructor has both a CAA and FAA instructor rating, and he prefers the FAA as its a lot more to do with practical flying and can you fly a plane, rather than can you work out how a plane flies ( does that make sense? )

At the end of the day, there are many ways to become a pilot, all are different in some way, and all have their pros and cons, its really down to personal preference and of course MONEY.

Don't look at the cheapest schools, look at the best quality schools with the best training. Cheaper isn't always better, in some cases, neither is expensive.

inabw
22nd Oct 2016, 14:26
Unfortunately, in this period, it's so hard to find a the right price and at the same time the right training for people that need absolutely to save their money.
Really important is the needed to coniugate fast learning with the quality for the next steps of the training, when i'ill have get out my skills, even during a job interview.
Lookin'around on the web, i checked some schools with related prices, very interesting if we wanna talking about the possibility to complete the licenses, but someone is talking about the bad experience, derived from the low price.
Howewer, i think, the big part in all this game, is done by the students, that have associate the both things, and make the difference.