PDA

View Full Version : B787 DEC's/FO's in FLL

Moonbean
14th Oct 2016, 07:09
Hello everyone,
While I was gathering some info on Norwegian roadshows, my friend who works for them, told me that Norwegian is looking for DEC's and FO's based in FLL for the B787 operation. It sounds like a nice proposal!:ok

zondaracer
14th Oct 2016, 23:02
It sounds like a bad proposal.

Contract employee
3 year training bond
Pay on par with a US regional
Potentially blackballed by ALPA legacy carriers

It's only open to US Citizens and residents. If you think that Norwegian will get you a work visa in the US, think again.

WYOMINGPILOT
15th Oct 2016, 04:33
The BIG TRUMP card is only open to US Citizens who have an EASA ATPL. Good luck getting that, it is 2 years minimum and 14 written ATPL exams plus a sim check.

Rick777
15th Oct 2016, 06:20
I'd say good luck to them finding anyone with those qualifications willing to work for the crap pay.

zondaracer
15th Oct 2016, 11:09
You can actually fly there with a validation for two years before you have to get the EASA license. I actually have the EASA license and the requirements but I'd rather stay at my current 121 job.

bafanguy
15th Oct 2016, 13:11
Zonda,

Although someone will bite, I don't see this gig as all that attractive to US citizens: get EASA license within two years...training bond ? No thanks... It'll be fun to see how it turns out though.

You mentioned this: "Potentially blackballed by ALPA legacy carriers". I've seen that statement made by others in relation to this job.

But, how would such a reaction be implemented and by whom within the legacy carrier framework ? I can see how ALPA could by perhaps denying membership but do legacy carrier managements really care about what can't be more than a handful of pilots who might've flown for NAI for a few years ?

Kenny
15th Oct 2016, 17:00
Other than the obvious elephant in the room, one potential obstacle with this is the EASA medical. For example, I couldn't pass the initial requirements for an EASA medical anymore but I'd be fine for the renewal limits for eyesight. Even though I have Class 1 medicals issued in both the US and Australia.

Spooky 2
15th Oct 2016, 17:00
I don't how ALPA could "blackball" anyone who took a job with this company. ALPA hmmmm, what more needs to be said regarding this organization?

bafanguy
15th Oct 2016, 17:25
"I don't how ALPA could "blackball" anyone who took a job with this company."

Spooky 2,

Yep, blackball is a stretch. ;-)

OneNorwegian
15th Oct 2016, 23:14
Bond is €30,000 and you have to deposit it into a bank account up front. You'll be luck if you see home for 8 days in a month too.

Speedbrakes Up
16th Oct 2016, 11:16
The airline has approval to us US flight crews on an FAA licence for 2 years....

So you have to do all 14 ATPL exams in 2 years, why working a 100% roster, while only having 10 days off a month, while trying to have a social and family life.... seriously good luck trying to maintain a life and study for your exams.

Also what happens if you don't have your EASA licence after 2 years? You will be out of a job as you can no longer fly, and you will have lost €10,000....

Think long and hard about this one.......

B-757
16th Oct 2016, 17:48
..Speedbrake is right..I went trough the FAA-JAA license conversion process in Europe some time ago..The most difficult and frustrating thing I have done during my years in aviation, by a wide margin..Be prepared to study hard, and then more, for many months, otherwise you will have a zero chance to pass all those tests..

..Fly safe..
B757

hvydvr
17th Oct 2016, 04:47
I have no idea how an ALPA blackball would work but there might be some interesting conversations if one was trying to jumpsuit to work for NAI.

bafanguy
17th Oct 2016, 16:09
" I have no idea how an ALPA blackball would work..."

hvydvr,

I don't know either since they don't control who gets hired or under what circumstances. The only power they have is to deny membership (I'm assuming they have that power). And agency shop would see to it they still get the blackballee's money.

In thrust i trust
18th Oct 2016, 18:25
In about 17 months I'll have almost all the requirements for this FLL job if they still recruiting then, but i'll be short of some of the EFIS jet hours, so may not be eligible. Anyways, for me, it sounds like a perfect job to start of life in the airlines.....but....$30,000 bond? Is it definitely the pay up front type? Or is the type of bond you don't pay anything unless you leave the company within 3 years (Jet2 do something like that)?

LW20
18th Oct 2016, 20:13
For a non-native english speaker:

What means "blackballing"?

Thanks

LW20

bafanguy
19th Oct 2016, 09:21
LW20,

Here you go:

Blackball | Definition of Blackball by Merriam-Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/blackball)

Google knows everything so we don't have to. ;-)))

WYOMINGPILOT
19th Oct 2016, 11:30
[/QUOTE]The airline has approval to us US flight crews on an FAA licence for 2 years....[QUOTE]
The Recruiting agency I just spoke with said EASA no longer allows anyone to fly on a validation license so you MUST have the EASA ATPL before starting employment. The UK was the last country to allow these and they have now stopped. Remember this is 14 tests and a Sim check.

bafanguy
19th Oct 2016, 12:55
"The Recruiting agency I just spoke with said EASA no longer allows anyone to fly on a validation license ..."

WYOMING,

Well, that would thin out the slate of US candidates a bit. But I bet they still find some here. :-)

GoForIt
24th Oct 2016, 07:08
I had to take 3 of the 14 tests about 7 years ago to get my Turkish validation. They have a test question database, and my company provided me with a computer program to teach me / test me and work through the weak areas. I had about 2 weeks to prepare for the three tests, and it was more than enough. Don't remember the grades I got, but I scored high on all three. There was a fee for taking each test. My company paid it. So you're going to incur some costs for computer prep, test fees, EASA medical and of course sim ride in your current equipment. But I don't think the tests are anything to fear.

ExDubai
25th Oct 2016, 21:51
US pilot union would drop opposition to Dublin-based Norwegian Air unit if contract pledge made - Independent.ie (http://m.independent.ie/business/irish/us-pilot-union-would-drop-opposition-to-dublinbased-norwegian-air-unit-if-contract-pledge-made-35160216.html)

“They just need to tell that to the DOT in a filing so that they’re committed to it,” said Mr Canoll, who claimed that ALPA has made attempts to encourage NAI to make that commitment, but that NAI has “refused”.
Norwegian will try to avoid that like plague :D

bafanguy
26th Oct 2016, 09:17
All the discussion about who might take these jobs is largely moot if WYOMINGPILOT's previous statement is accurate:

"The Recruiting agency I just spoke with said EASA no longer allows anyone to fly on a validation license so you MUST have the EASA ATPL before starting employment." That would stop many of the willing in their tracks.

While I don't doubt they can find a US citizen or two (or more) already holding an EASA license, there's no data yet to indicate what their other quals or inclinations might be.

This issue needs more facts and time to see how it's going to shake out. So far, just the Blind Men and the Elephant. ;-))

zondaracer
26th Oct 2016, 12:27
I meet all the requirements, and I even have the EASA license, but they would have to pay double for me to consider the job.

Also, since it's a foreign carrier, there are no reciprocal jumpseat agreements and commuting would not be an option.