PDA

View Full Version : Smoking between Terminals 2 and 5 at Heathrow

eastern wiseguy
13th Oct 2016, 22:13
We are flying via Heathrow from Toronto to Belfast on Saturday.

One of our party is a smoker. Without leaving the transfer system ,and ,therefore having to recheck in,is there a smokers corner on the way through from 2 to 5?

Thanks EW

PAXboy
14th Oct 2016, 00:09
In a word: No.

Smoking areas | Heathrow (http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/terminal-facilities-and-services/smoking-areas)
Heathrow is a smoke-free airport, in line with British law on smoking in enclosed public spaces.

Smoking is permitted in designated areas outside the terminal building.

However, please be aware that once you have passed through security control, you will not be able to smoke anywhere in the departure lounge.

If you are catching a connecting flight at Heathrow, please note that smoking is not permitted during the connection process. It's only possible to access the outdoor smoking areas by entering the UK (via passport control), and you would then have to pass through security control to return to the departure lounge.

Electronic cigarettes
Passengers are not permitted to use electronic cigarettes within our premises. Where you are intending to carry cigarettes in your hand luggage, please check with your airline to ensure they are allowed on board the aircraft.

KelvinD
14th Oct 2016, 06:03
Surely, the traveller will have to enter the UK at Terminal 2, as the flight to Belfast is domestic.
If this is the case, then a stroll outside Terminal 5 is on.
Just guessing here but it seems logical to me (entering UK at T2).

Reverserbucket
14th Oct 2016, 12:53
KelvinD - T2 has a segregated domestic connections route so no, an international connecting passenger does not have to leave the 'airside' environment to reach their flight from T5. The only way to achieve a smoke would be pass through arrivals and immigration at T5, have a smoke in one of the landside smoking zones located between arrivals and the MSCP then connect to T2 landside on the Heathrow Express (free), have another smoke outside T2 departures then proceed to the gate through security etc. Bit of a pain for the sake of a smoke but could be done if you have the time wiseguy.

M-ONGO
17th Oct 2016, 18:10
You can certainly vape in T5 if the pax chooses to.

bgbazz
17th Oct 2016, 19:42
Curious to know why Reverserbucket thinks that someone who wants to have a smoke is a 'wiseguy'...his words, not mine.

M-ONGO....spot on! I see it all the time.

S.o.S.
17th Oct 2016, 19:47
bgbazz
is a 'wiseguy'...his words, not mine.Probably because he was addressing the OP (Original Poster) whose PPRuNe name is eastern wiseguy. As denoted by the sub heading 'thread starter'.

The convention is to place names of other posters in bold to make that clear.

bgbazz
17th Oct 2016, 20:07
I bow to your wisdom S.o.S, but reading back a bit, it seems that not everyone observes the convention.

S.o.S.
17th Oct 2016, 21:47
Yes, I know :{ but I gently remind when the opportunity presents itself. :ugh: Also, of course, there are new people joining to enjoy the great hospitality in our cabin and they need to see high standards. I can't decide which 'smiley' to use at this point, as they could all be appropriate at one time or another ... :p

Jarvy
18th Oct 2016, 12:39
E-cigs are also banned in all terminals

edi_local
19th Oct 2016, 11:31
As a side note, is LHR the only major world hub now not offering an airside smoking area?

I have been to ICN, HKG, DOH in the past week and all of them had smoking rooms airside.

I am not a smoker, but I don't understand why LHR of all places is so anti-smoking. All it leads to is people lighting up in the toilets (when I worked in T2 I used to see ciggies in the toilets all the time from people having a sly smoke while in transit) and potentially causing a very costly smoke alarm to be triggered. The idea that someone needs to enter the UK in order to have a smoke is utterly ridiculous. I don't suppose anything will change though, they are happy to make things as awkward as possible for people using LHR in any way they can.

ExXB
19th Oct 2016, 13:06
Er,

Heathrow is a smoke-free airport, in line with British law on smoking in enclosed public spaces.

I believe all Canadian airport terminals are completely smoke-free as well.

Teaboy24
19th Oct 2016, 13:37
Not quite a total ban on smoking airside at LHR.

An area exists airside in Terminal 4 downstairs in departures.

M-ONGO
22nd Oct 2016, 13:32
E-cigs are also banned in all terminals

You are misinformed. They are perfectly legal to use in T5 airside, just not at the departure gate.