PDA

View Full Version : Nobel Prize for Literature 2016

ORAC
13th Oct 2016, 11:34
Won by..........

Bob Dylan...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/oct/13/bob-dylan-wins-2016-nobel-prize-in-literature

OeP4FFr88SQ

Union Jack
13th Oct 2016, 11:43
One can only sayhttps://uk.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?hspart=avg&hsimp=yhs-fh_lsonsw&type=ch.53.w7.dsp.04-03.gb.zen._.0816tb2&param1=NU_JasMwEP2VXqybjRZLcg46NLEDhVBKk1LoTcvYcYmXSo7T_H2nl MIw7zHz3iy-DybTTm6UELTWeaU0zUum63zb1Jtc61IKzoXYPMpMB-KHGQ20YmpxnATDSiVQgiJKKQnJfDTP5GLHzsBIBpRKqZTUAZjGUTpwC1wEpo KFUgTFaQ5WAlUK2laCDN4xoEIBg5JWjklWlU5vvPBAfhffliuZo2kjWU1ZiI IXrCK7a4wwLi-2g7fXgzkvy5wJm_EWY7gnsNGfC7t2hZ8GLM2oS4j_jTR_Z6KN65LhYRlXyaI 9hDQj_0Lmp7GLdrle7NJPIzqdmxzmcMc_yRHiCvGpNqctz4_NYZ-_7xtakX42lSqYlAVjiJUiUzLv_RimW3rQxJndOU4DELcaKQpKPJhTvAL5TH_ kBw2&param2=browser_search_provider&param3=ch.53.w7.dsp.04-03.gb.zen._.0816tb2&p=congratulations+bob+dylan

Jack

sitigeltfel
13th Oct 2016, 13:22
This is the same outfit that gave the Peace Prize to Yasser Arafat. :ugh:

I hear the sound of barrel bottoms being scraped!

wings folded
13th Oct 2016, 13:27
And that American bloke before he did anything.

Krystal n chips
13th Oct 2016, 16:45
To be fair, his lyrics and his musical scores are really pretty damned good......when performed and sung by anybody other than himself.

Ancient Mariner
13th Oct 2016, 17:23
This is the same outfit that gave the Peace Prize to Yasser Arafat. :ugh:

I hear the sound of barrel bottoms being scraped!
No, it isn't. Far, far from it.
The peace prize is given by the Norwegian Nobel Comittee, the rest by the Swedish ditto.
Per

West Coast
13th Oct 2016, 19:00
Cheapens the award for subsequent recipients.

meadowrun
13th Oct 2016, 19:43
They will be playing his songs 100 years from now. Most books will have rotted away and been long forgotten.

BlankBox
13th Oct 2016, 19:56
...shoulda bin Leonard Cohen... :ouch:

er340790
13th Oct 2016, 20:50
...shoulda bin Leonard Cohen...

Pretty close... Robert :mad: Zimmerman!

innuendo
13th Oct 2016, 22:08
I see someone has tweeted a suggestion that if Dylan can get the Literature prize then Keith Richards should surely be awarded the Chemistry prize.

malcolm380
13th Oct 2016, 23:42
I think it's well deserved, and I'm pleased to see that the songwriter is valued as highly as the novelist in narrating the stories of life, death, love, sadness, adventure, imagination... and countless others. Among his peers who else would deserve this accolade? Leonard Cohen for sure. Springsteen? maybe. Congratulations to Bob Dylan... a very worthy Nobel Laureate.

Turbine D
14th Oct 2016, 00:17
Cheapens the award for subsequent recipients.
Bill O'Reilly (Fox News) is very disconcerted to read this. He was hoping his new "Killer" book describing his experiences on the front line of the Falkland War would win him the next award, but not at a diminished value. :D

sitigeltfel
14th Oct 2016, 06:50
No, it isn't. Far, far from it.
The peace prize is given by the Norwegian Nobel Comittee, the rest by the Swedish ditto.
Per

What part of "Nobel" didn't you understand?

treadigraph
14th Oct 2016, 06:57
To be fair, his lyrics and his musical scores are really pretty damned good......when performed and sung by anybody other than himself.
Quite like Manfred Mann's Earth Band version of "Father of Day, Father of Night" - brother-in-law played me Dylan's original last week - jeez, he must have been on speed.

Innuendo - :D

Ancient Mariner
14th Oct 2016, 07:12
What part of "Nobel" didn't you understand?

"The same outfit".
Not that difficult, was it?
Per

Carry0nLuggage
14th Oct 2016, 07:36
"I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn"

HighAndFlighty
14th Oct 2016, 07:58
Don't think twice, it's alright.....

arearadar
14th Oct 2016, 08:38
i said 20 years ago that in 200 years time dylan would be rated alongside shakespeare.

dave

cattletruck
14th Oct 2016, 10:25
I reflect on what guitarist Steve Vai had to say about Bob Dylan during a studio session - it was not all that flattering.

Must be as phoney as getting an award under your false stage name.

david1300
14th Oct 2016, 11:06
I think it's a very well deserved award. His lyrics are incredible (not all, granted) - The times they are a-changing; Dont think twice its alright - just two examples of so much being said so eloquently. Of course he doesn't deserve any singing awards, but that's not under consideration here. :ok:

And Leonard Cohen - would be another worthy winner - also couldn't sing in his early years. :)

And they have unwittingly made Norman Mailer a basket baller - hope he enjoyes shooting hoops wherever he is now. :=

david1300
14th Oct 2016, 11:16
But thinking about Leonard Cohen - are there any songs of his that have become anthems that place you where you were in the year they were popular. Arguably The Times They Are A-changing was popular was the song of its times - yep, the anti Vietnam war protests were in full swing ... You fill in the rest.

And who else other than BD could write those immortal lines:
They ants are my friends
They're blowing in the wind
The ants are blowing in the wind :p:p:p

sitigeltfel
17th Oct 2016, 22:34
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/oct/17/nobel-prize-bob-dylan-unable-to-reach

Anyone who witnessed his antics when he was awarded a doctorate at St Andrews university will not be in the least bit surprised! Boorish doesn't cover it.

sitigeltfel
22nd Oct 2016, 15:27
Bob Dylan's Nobel silence 'impolite and arrogant' - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37740379)

Nobody should be surprised :rolleyes:

Mr Optimistic
22nd Oct 2016, 15:31
Hallelujah would come the closest.

Stan Woolley
22nd Oct 2016, 15:45
Basically the BBC want to hear him grovel and say how grateful he is, or rather should be, for winning the award. And they accuse him of arrogance? Haha :rolleyes:

Flight_Idle
22nd Oct 2016, 18:52
I think that Bob Dylan deserves the award, considering that putting something to music is far harder than writing poetry etc. Has he actually accepted the Nobel prize yet?

My heroes are those who have refused Knighthoods, there's a list somewhere on the internet & from memory, David Bowie & Professor Hawking being among them.

The honours system has hit rock bottom anyway & the 'Titillation factor' rapidly fading.

BlankBox
22nd Oct 2016, 19:04
...BD has gone off to take a crash course in understandable English before he can accept...

evansb
22nd Oct 2016, 21:20
The Nobel Peace Prize has ceased to be of any relevance since, oh, around the time of Al Gore's and/or Borak Obama's acceptance of the the aforementioned "peace prize". "Peace". Wow! What a concept man. So kewl.

Signed: Robert Zimmerman

P.S.
Mankind is doomed.

obgraham
22nd Oct 2016, 21:42
I'm developing a new respect for Bob Dylan these days.

Loose rivets
22nd Oct 2016, 23:26
“To me,” he said, “[the Nobel] is like pinning a medal on Mount Everest for being the highest mountain.”

Oh, per-leeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz!!!! :*

I gave up years ago when pop stars were knighted and some bloke who made those grotesque Gannex raincoats for Harold Wilson got elevated to Barronism. Totally [email protected]@dy daft.

Now, some kid who groaned and croaked some supposedly wise words is given a Nobel prize. How must Hawking feel? If it has to be literature, then how do . . . how do I feel? 230,000 words - admittedly not all of them in the right order, but nearly quarter of a million words and I don't get one line in the local paper. He writes a few simplistic lines, sets them to the sound of someone in their death throws, and people give him millions of whatevermoney.

Now he can't even be bothered to go and get his prize - or even answer. "Oh, it's just the way he is". Well, f:mad:k him. Ill mannered :mad:.

I have no idea what he was saying to the world because I couldn't stand the row he made, and if he came on while I was driving I'd swerve the car into a tree so as to smash the valves/tubes in order to swap the horrendous revulsion with the lesser pain of being mutilated.

Acquaintances that were moved by his dirges also liked . . . oh, I don't know any of their names, but none of then had a Nobel prize. And even if I did recall a name or two, I wouldn't admit it.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Oct 2016, 11:29
I'm surprised that the committee which awards Nobel prizes doesn't adopt the same procedure as the Honours Committee in the UK. Here, if you are being considered for one of the higher awards, such as a knighthood, CBE etc, you are contacted first and asked if you want it. Some people do in fact say they do not want it - I believe Alan Bennett has refused a CBE or possibly a knighthood, and he is certainly not the only one.

A similar procedure would have avoided this fiasco with Bob Dylan.
(I refuse to just call him Dylan, because when you say Dylan I think you are talking about Dylan Thomas ;) )

vulcanised
23rd Oct 2016, 11:40
The man just wants privacy and he's entitled to thst.

Ancient Observer
23rd Oct 2016, 13:43
No he's not entitled to privacy. I bought some of his LPs, so I own him.
If he didn't want that, he should not have sold LPs.
...........Hat, coat.

Flight_Idle
23rd Oct 2016, 14:22
Doesn't the Nobel prize come with a fair wedge of cash? I'll take it if he doesn't want it. I play guitar, but my singing is so terrible that I'm forced to go out into the countryside & sing to cattle in the fields.

I don't know what effect it has on the milk production & only wish I could sing half as well as Bob Dylan. I'm thinking of buying a recording device, so you can all have a listen.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Oct 2016, 14:50
I play guitar, but my singing is so terrible ...

Don't worry about it - it never stopped Bob Dylan ;)

Meanwhile, they could always substitute Graeme Garden from I'm Sorry I Havent a Clue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrNI2136AFE

radeng
23rd Oct 2016, 15:03
They will be playing his songs 100 years from now. Most books will have rotted away and been long forgotten.

Wouldn't bet on it. My oldest book is 192 years old..........

obgraham
23rd Oct 2016, 18:15
Possibly, Radeng. But while you and I likely have hundreds or, maybe thousands of books, the upcoming generations will rarely have more than a handful.

The time may well come when a Tweet or Facebook post wins the prize as an example of great literature of the day.

wiggy
24th Oct 2016, 11:47
(I refuse to just call him Dylan, because when you say Dylan I think you are talking about Dylan Thomas )....

Sounds v. familiar...A Paul Simon fan by any chance TTN??? ;)