PDA

View Full Version : Bah Bah Bah Bah Bah Bah Bah

Loose rivets
12th Oct 2016, 23:58
Anyone see this psychologist on telly last night. Bah Bah Bah Bah Bah Bah Bah said in singy exact tone. His lips were saying Bah.

Then, they showed him saying Fah Fah etc., etc. Okay, so what's the point. The fact was, the film of his lips was saying Fah, but the voice was unchanged. No way could I make the Fah face sound like Bah.

He'd been researching such things for 25 years and he can't stop the effect.

The program was all about our brains modelling our reality. I've known for years this is what's happening, but I had no idea the visual input might be as low as 20%, sometimes as low as 10% - the rest is being created in our brains.

The McGurk Effect (Or, Brains are Weird) | Mental Floss (http://mentalfloss.com/article/72587/mcgurk-effect-or-brains-are-weird)

GrumpyOldFart
13th Oct 2016, 00:06
Damn. Thought this was a thread about the Beach Boys.

57mm
13th Oct 2016, 01:38
Or counting sheep while trying to get to sleep

Pinky the pilot
13th Oct 2016, 01:46
I thought it was about Kiwis?:confused::E

onetrack
13th Oct 2016, 01:51
Try watching a doctor explain things carefully whilst wearing a face mask. It's doubly difficult, because it's surprising just how much even people with good hearing, do lip-reading.
I find Americans are deplorable to try and listen to, they are lazy speakers, and don't move their lips.

UniFoxOs
13th Oct 2016, 07:56
I find Americans are deplorable to try and listen to, they are lazy speakers, and don't move their lips.

And they talk.

ExSp33db1rd
13th Oct 2016, 08:15
And they talk.

or if they're called Trump - shout.

He'd do a lot better if he just talked.

maliyahsdad2
13th Oct 2016, 08:15
There was a BBC documentary on this a few years ago - It was amazing how many sounds we "Hear" with our eyes!
Edit - In the page you link is a clip from 2010 Horizon program - Thats the one!
If when you get to the bit when he is "saying fah" close your eyes it goes back to "Bah", amazing stuff.

sitigeltfel
13th Oct 2016, 08:56
The bit of that programme I found the most amazing was the man who had lost his eyesight and could navigate by making clicking noises with his mouth and picking up the reflected sound the same way a bat does.
The scientists reckoned that the part of his brain dedicated to vision was now reprogramming itself to tackle new challenges.

Z_E3zxx2l9g

Tankertrashnav
13th Oct 2016, 09:07
I thought I spoke reasonably good French until the first time I had a conversation in French on the phone and really struggled. Nothing at all to do with the sound quality, it was a very clear line, but all to do with the total absence of visual clues.

ORAC
13th Oct 2016, 09:17
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_blindness

https://mindhacks.com/2012/06/08/berlin-plan-1-the-change-blindess-experiment/

4-HxtKgKrL8

Qghh2Zsh3CY

Saccadic Masking

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saccadic_masking

qIF3FRwbG6Y

ORAC
13th Oct 2016, 09:41
The eye has a very small spot, only a few degrees wide, of good visual acuity, this is surrounded by a wide area of peripheral vision which is very motion sensitive, but with no colour or acuity (but far better in dim light or at night). Adapted from the plains of our evolution this allowed prey, or predators, to be quickly identified.

The best explanation I have heard is to imagine eyesight as being in a large dark room with a flashlight with a very bright but narrow beam. When you enter you shine the beam around the room to build up a picture in your mind of the room layout and contents. Thereafter if you sense any movement you rapidly shine the light in that direction to see what has changed.

But the brain also likes to save energy, so if you enter a familiar room you don't scan it all over again, you only light up the path you already know across the room - totally missing that the walls have been painted and a bookcase against the wall has gone until it is pointed out or something in your peripheral vision triggers you to turn the light in that direction.

jolihokistix
13th Oct 2016, 10:01
Thought this was going to be another rant about "Baa Baa rainbow sheep, have you any wool?"

ORAC
13th Oct 2016, 10:18
Only to pull over your eyes.....

Pinky the pilot
13th Oct 2016, 10:32
another rant about "Baa Baa rainbow sheep, have you any wool?"

You are not perchance referring to the sketch on the TV show 'The Goodies' of about damn near 37 years ago?:confused:

Which at the time was extremely funny but now, with the benefit of all those years of hindsight, somewhat prophetic!:ugh::sad:

KelvinD
13th Oct 2016, 10:34
I too watched the program. I found it fascinating but was left a bit baffled as to the point of it all. Who cares whether the Rubik's cube squares were blue or yellow?
That reminds me, it is high time I changed my specs!
As for my "who cares" remark, I am often puzzled by the huge amounts spent on trying to figure out how, why or when the universe was created. Supposing these people figured it all out tomorrow, what would that knowledge contribute to the sum total of mankind's current (or future) wellbeing? When they calculate that the world will be consumed in a giant solar fireball in 500 million years, what are we supposed to do? Stockpile bottles of water?
It all seems to me to be as pointless as spending lots of loot on researching regional accents in cod!

G0ULI
13th Oct 2016, 10:51
Having spent the last year suffering from eye problems that caused changes in vision in one eye ranging from blindness to distorted vision with severe myopia. I have become acutely aware of differences in the vision of each eye since the problem was finally fixed with a cataract operation. Objects appear at slightly different sizes and positions when viewed individually with each eye. With both eyes, everything snaps into sharp focus and there is no change in size or position of objects if the view from either eye is briefly blocked. Clearly the brain is performing backflips to reconcile to different images it is actually receiving and producing a nice neat composite. The first couple of weeks after the cataract operation, I was simply amazed at the improvement in vision to near perfection. After that I became more aware that processes that had transferred to other parts of the brain because I was effectively blind in one eye had now started to move back again. Still early days, but it is all becoming much more natural to use both eyes again without suffering information overload.

ShyTorque
13th Oct 2016, 10:59
Damn. Thought this was a thread about the Beach Boys.

So did I, until I noticed there was no "Baran" on the end of the sentence.

scotbill
13th Oct 2016, 11:12
Wish TV directors would watch this and take pity on us old duffers who struggle to hear lines when all we have is the back of the actor's head against the swelling background music.

Loose rivets
13th Oct 2016, 12:00
it's surprising just how much even people with good hearing, do lip-reading.

Try telling that to the Rivetess. One of her tortures was . . . is, to speak very softly despite years of telling her to speak up. (if I ask twice, she shouts and when she shouts, plaster comes off the walls.:uhoh:)

Anyway, I got the hang of looking at her lips but now she's developed the habit of resting her cheek on her hand leaving two fingers across her mouth.

"If you're going to talk so softly, can you move your hand."

"You can't read lips!!!"

That reminds me. I'm due there for tea in a couple of hours. Must remember to put batteries in me deaf aids. Don't need them for anyone else.

Music while Horizon etc., is on. I've done that to death but is there REALLY ANY NEED TO (yes, I'm shouting) BLOW A F:mad:ING BUGLE EVERY TIME SOMEONE SEES A NEW STAR?
Someone in an ancient Affrican tribe has found how to use a stick. Get out the biggest F:mad:ing drum and beat on that.

WHY? FFS, WHY?

Calm down. Take deeeeep breaths.

That famous Beach Boys recording took 80 takes. I can't imagine how the last one was the best.

Having had a vitrectomy, the patient usually gets a nuclear cataract a while later. While I was getting the early symptoms I noticed many bizarre effects. It seems the brain multi-lenses around the obstruction and the switching can be quite fast. Looking at the washing line in Texas through a bug-screen gave two lines with S's of bits of line connecting the two main lines. Maybe twenty of them going down the garden. Use the other eye and they weren't there.

BehindBlueEyes
13th Oct 2016, 12:33
Reminded me of this:

https://youtu.be/vEJz6p5Rndk

KenV
13th Oct 2016, 15:31
That famous Beach Boys recording took 80 takes. I can't imagine how the last one was the best.How do you know it was?

Jonno_aus
13th Oct 2016, 17:52
How do you know it was?

And unfortunately the single version fades out whereas the album version completes the song with some tom foolery at the end.

Beach Boys Party definitely NOT recorded at a party. But s little fun nonetheless. Possibly the first unplugged album by anyone.

Not too many bands at the height of their career make fun of their own music either as the BB's did here with I Get Around and Little Duece Coupe.

There's some trivia for your next pub night that could win you a meat tray!

What was this thread about again?

KenV
13th Oct 2016, 18:35
It wasn't about Barbara Ann?! My bad.

Pace
13th Oct 2016, 18:54
With all this visual stuff what on earth happens in social media like here where no one can see anyone, no one can hear anyone, no one can smell anyone ( maybe a good thing ) ) and you don't really know if your talking to a 10 year old kid or nuclear scientist ? Nameless,faceless, smelless ,touchless script ?

er340790
13th Oct 2016, 21:00
Looking at the washing line in Texas through a bug-screen gave two lines with S's of bits of line connecting the two main lines. Maybe twenty of them going down the garden. Use the other eye and they weren't there.

I get EXACTLY the same thing..... on my 8th G&T. :8