PDA

View Full Version : So, will someone explain why hubs are good for us

effortless
10th Oct 2016, 11:26
Posting here because I guess I'll get a good mix of responses. Why will bigger hubs benefit everyone rather than improve regional airports. I mean everyone not just the few of us who benefit from Heathrow or Gatwick.

I've ordered a new tin hat off amazon.

lomapaseo
10th Oct 2016, 12:22
It gives one the wider choice of carriers to more destinations, thus enhancing loyalty and money to the airlines that use hubs.

That way even the guy from a small town can attain frequent flyer VIP status.

this thread needs a picture of what a hub really looks like

wings folded
10th Oct 2016, 12:27
:rolleyes:You can fit bigger wheels

meadowrun
10th Oct 2016, 14:01
Part of the cyclical efforts of airlines switching around things trying to get them right.
In five years it might be that point-to-point is back to being the new black.

Windy Militant
10th Oct 2016, 21:39
Makes the shopping mall, er duty free more cost effective. Bigger the shop, better margins, economy of scales and all that. ;)

DirtyProp
11th Oct 2016, 05:21
Shopping mall with its own airfield.
Don't we all love malls?* Brilliant!

*I don't actually.

UniFoxOs
11th Oct 2016, 08:05
Don't think it's what the customer wants. The introduction many years ago of, for example, the daily service from Birmingham to New York was a real boon, and when business was good was increased to twice daily.

If hubs are such a good idea then taking it to its eventual conclusion we should have one mahoosive big hub in an unpopulated area, 4 runways minimum, and everybody would use a feeder to access it.

Sallyann1234
11th Oct 2016, 09:12
If hubs are such a good idea then taking it to its eventual conclusion we should have one mahoosive big hub in an unpopulated area, 4 runways minimum, and everybody would use a feeder to access it.
Boris Island? :}

obgraham
11th Oct 2016, 20:11
Seems to me that people living in the larger urban centers don't like the Hub system because they lose some direct flights.

Whereas people in the smaller places like Hubs because of the wider range of places they can get to with, say, 2 flights.

Carbon Bootprint
12th Oct 2016, 00:05
Boris Island?
I was going to say Denver. Well, at least it was unpopulated until they built an airport there... :rolleyes:

LowNSlow
12th Oct 2016, 09:43
The SS Richard Montgomery isn't next door to Boris Island but it's quite close. There's a map here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Richard_Montgomery

Metro man
12th Oct 2016, 10:01
Amsterdam is a hub for regional UK cities, offering some good connections on KLM with no need to get to and from Heathrow/Gatwick.

Dubai is THE hub, as any two destinations on earth can be paired up with non stop flights connecting through DXB.

In future there will be more flights through hubs and more point to point flights as the market grows.

The hub is an incubator which allows traffic to increase at its network of cities. Eventually the statistics show how many passengers are going from Point A to Point B through the hub and this determines if a direct flight is a viable option instead. Once it is, travel times are reduced as no connection is needed and congestion at the hub is alleviated.

Doors to Automatic
12th Oct 2016, 20:24
Hubs are inefficient for aircraft utilisation though unless all the routes that feed in are of similar length.

Also airlines will often charge less for a flight through a hub (e.g BHX-AMS-HKG) than for the sinlge leg (AMS-HKG) - even though the transfer part costs extra to process.

This means that hubs based on connecting traffic only will struggle unless they can reach a certain critical mass.

KenV
13th Oct 2016, 15:18
Why are hubs good for us? Because hubs encourage/require very large transports like the A380. Since multiple governments have sunk billions into the development of such aircraft they would naturally be loathe to discourage hubs and would naturally try to convince us that "hubs are good for us." Never mind that point-to-point transport is cheaper, faster, more efficient, and usually more comfortable.

vapilot2004
14th Oct 2016, 06:22
Hubs are good for the bottom lines of most legacy carriers. They offer an economy of scale and simplicity in operations as well as providing multiple barriers to competition from upstarts.

Point to point operations offer all of the benefits as KenV states above with the additional advantage of the network not falling to pieces due to weather, equipment issues, or delays. The hub and spoke system is prone to spreading local malaise far and wide when trouble comes.

Metro man
15th Oct 2016, 02:47
If you want to fly from Newcastle to Johannesburg you will be doing it through a hub for the foreseeable future. If you want to go to Spain direct flights are available to some cities, others require a connection but could go direct with an increase in demand.

effortless
15th Oct 2016, 11:21
Well thank you for clear and well reasoned responses. A bit unexpected on jet blast! :) These are what I wanted. I am clearer now as to why my predicts may be justified.