PDA

View Full Version : Pilot with lazy eye

warrick1984
10th Oct 2016, 05:38
I'm about to start training for my CPL but I'm unsure about how having a lazy eye or Amblyopia will affect me. I have 6/6 vision in my good eye but 6/24 in my bad eye. It can be corrected to 6/9 with glasses. Just wondering if any others have been in the same position and how it will affect my flying career.

MikeJulietHotel
10th Oct 2016, 20:35
Try here (https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/lib100096/foi_f13_5348.pdf)

Metro man
10th Oct 2016, 22:30
I'm exactly the same, obviously do the medical before you start training. It may require further investigation but as an opthamologist's report is part of the initial medical that should be enough.

The regulations have a bit of "give" in them so you should get through. Many airlines do there own pre employment medical which could knock you back in times of pilot oversupply and countries with astronaut medical standards such as Japan and Korea may be out.

FAA ATP would require a SODA, statement of demonstrated ability.

Doctors are trained to pick up cheating on eye tests so be careful of trying to memorise charts as they have been known to swap them randomly.

josephfeatherweight
11th Oct 2016, 02:39
As far as I'm aware, in Oz and the US, MONOCULAR (one working eye!) pilots can get a Class 1 medical! SODA is required in the US and I think something similar here... Included is a limitation for acclimatising to having one eye (if you end up monocular due accident, etc) - I guess so you can perceive depth with only one eye. We perceive depth using multiple methods, not just from binocular vision. I would hope you will be ok!

B772
11th Oct 2016, 12:03
Refer to the CASA 2054 page Medical Handbook. The FAA 412 page Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners may also be of interest to you.