PDA

View Full Version : seniority in airline and chance to fast upgarde

TSRABECOMING
10th Oct 2016, 02:08
Hi,
I have questions about how airlines (QF and Jet* etc) consider pilots seniority ? If a group of pilots joining at the same date will they be considered to upgrade from their previous flt hrs (hours before joining)? If they have nearly same flt hrs will they be considered their PIC hrs?

Following questions for the different joining date
If there is a plan to upgrade will pilots be considered to upgrade because of his/her PIC hrs (consider the joining date as second priority)?
Thank you
TS

parabellum
10th Oct 2016, 02:37
Think you will find that if a group of pilots join on the same day then seniority is according to age, the oldest pilot being the most senior. Consideration for command is then via allocated seniority and subject to qualifications required, as per the ops manual..

travelator
10th Oct 2016, 04:13
Depends on the airline. My employer determines the individual seniority on total time. A and B start on the same day, A has 5,000 hours and B 7,000 then B has a higher seniority.

Judd
10th Oct 2016, 06:36
A and B start on the same day, A has 5,000 hours and B 7,000 then B has a higher seniority.

Judging seniority by log book hours is problematical and doesn't mean much. Is that automatic pilot button pushing hours or the hard yards of GA charter? Might be fairer to draw straws when the time comes to allot the seniority number of same day joining.:ok:

billyt
10th Oct 2016, 06:56
But discriminating on age has it's issues as well due to legislation.

A Squared
11th Oct 2016, 00:32
Judging seniority by log book hours is problematical and doesn't mean much.

Its no more meaningless than assigning seniority by the accident of birth date, which is probably the most common way amongst a new hire class.

I always claimed they should do it alphabetically, but then both my names begin with "A". Probably not gonna happen, but the first letter of your name is exactly as meaningful as your birthdate, which is to say not in the slightest.

Ixixly
11th Oct 2016, 04:35
I dunno A Squared, perhaps they'll do it by Astrological Sign? That way they'll be able to tell what type of person you are and which ones would make the better Captains?

greybeard
11th Oct 2016, 08:08
The trouble with a seniority system is that the false premise is that it is fair and equitable.

Many grey hairs have been made to get it in place, it does give all a shot at promotions/bases/days off even to the dullest knife in the draw.

Possibly evens out the "favouritism" process, but in the event of take-overs and amalgamations between Companies, causes bitterness and hatred. (Ansett amalgamation in my case).

How you account hours from GA to long haul with a sleep component is above my pay grade.

An overall look at all of anyone's experience will always be fraught with opinions/bias and other imponderables.

There is no short cut to be had for some folks, and some folks get a lucky break, I got a call from the flight manager, no face to face interview, knew his sons, they were in great need, had a job in all sorts of places ever since.

:ok:

parabellum
12th Oct 2016, 06:08
but the first letter of your name is exactly as meaningful as your birthdate, which is to say not in the slightest.

Not quite right A Squared. The theory/logic behind using DOB is that the youngest will have the longest opportunity to climb the slippery pole whilst the oldest will have the least time.

das Uber Soldat
12th Oct 2016, 06:41
OP asked specifically about J* and Q. J* its based on flight hours. So if A and B have their first duty on the same day, its the total time that is the differentiator (for J*, not sure what happens at Q)

Keg
13th Oct 2016, 00:04
QF uses same methodology as Das Uber soldat put forward. Total time.

An ex Hornet driver with 2000 hours can be more junior than the ex GA flight instructor with 2003 hours. In reality this is all done behind the scenes before a candidate starts so unless they're specifically asking each other they don't known by how much they've been separated.