PDA

View Full Version : [Australia] New VET Student loan scheme and Diploma of aviation

guni83
10th Oct 2016, 00:44
They have now released the list of courses covered by the new VET Student Loan scheme.

Good news is that the Diploma of Aviation made it in the list.
But the bad news is that the maximum loan cap of $15000 will apply.

I've been banking on being able to use this loan to take me through to CPL/ME/IFR next year and forked out most of my savings to take me through to PPL this year.
For someone in mid 30s with child, I don't think I can afford to put this off until I can get more money saved and continue all the way to CPL/ME/IFR

I knew the new scheme was announced last week but there was a rumor that the aviation courses will be excepted from the cap. So that's what I was hoping and this is a devastating news to start the week.

https://docs.education.gov.au/node/41991

Aviation Training Package AVI50115 Diploma of Aviation (Air Traffic Control) $15,000
Aviation Training Package AVI50215 Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence - Aeroplane) $15,000
Aviation Training Package AVI50315 Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence - Helicopter) $15,000
Aviation Training Package AVI50415 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating) $15,000
Aviation Training Package AVI50516 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor) $15,000
Aviation Training Package AVI50616 Diploma of Aviation (Aviation Management) $15,000

Nowhere near enough to cover the program and it looks like we will need to come up with quite a lot of money up front.

gear up job
10th Oct 2016, 01:08
Alternatively you can get a FAA license and it's way much cheaper than CASA license and it will consume less of your time. Conversion to CASA.....well that will be a walk in the park with recent Part 61 CASA changes.

Left 270
10th Oct 2016, 01:33
Hopefully we will see the costs of a IR,FIR reduce to more sensible amounts considering the cap. I have seen over 30k for a FIR at one place.