PDA

View Full Version : So, How Goes the Philippines?

meadowrun
9th Oct 2016, 18:57
"The death toll in the Philippines continues to rise as president Rodrigo Duterte, known as 'The Punisher', claims he will slaughter drug dealers and addicts in his war on drugs. The bombastic president has also sensationally disparaged the country's alliance with the US ordering its troops to leave his shores. The potential ending of an alliance comes as a reaction to the international outrage of the slaughter of drug criminals at the hands of vigilantes and police in the Philippines. The fear tactic has seen Duterte's popularity sky-rocket, with a Social Weather Stations Survey showed 8/10 Filipino residents are satisfied with his campaign promise to crack down on drug dealers and users." 3700 dead in 100 days.

Extra-judicial killings are an anathema to most but apparently not over there at the moment. Little sympathy for dealers but most of the world usually thinks users need help not a bullet. Kicking out the US could be disastrous in the long run. The country depends, more than most, on
cash sent home by ex-pats working in the world.
Anyone planning a holiday to the Philippines?

Ancient Mariner
9th Oct 2016, 19:20
We are, but far away from Manila, which in itself is not such a bad place.
As for the new president? :rolleyes:
What's new, they had Estrada.
Per

bcgallacher
9th Oct 2016, 20:51
Meadowrun - I will be in the Philippines from Oct.27 until Dec.5. I have two visits a year there. I hold Philippine residence and I am appalled at what is happening under the new President. It will take a couple of years for Filipinos to realise what they have elected - I think it will only get worse,drug pushers now,who next?

mini
9th Oct 2016, 22:07
Duterte Harry...

Sorry, but it is JB :}

Metro man
9th Oct 2016, 22:54
I think it will only get worse,drug pushers now,who next?

Muggers, burglars, car thieves, armed robbers, corrupt government officials and pickpockets would be welcome additions to the hit list. Then perhaps he could start on the police force, imagine any officer pulling a motorist over and demanding a bribe getting shot on the spot. It might even pull the Pasay traffic cops into line.

megan
10th Oct 2016, 16:02
Good news for one Aussie. Wonder who else may not be so lucky.

Australian man Damian Berg accused of selling 'cookie monster' ecstasy released from jail | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3829763/Australian-man-Damian-Berg-accused-selling-cookie-monster-ecstasy-released-jail.html)

Peter-RB
11th Oct 2016, 09:24
Whilst it seems to the Westerners like us very extreme ..I in some way applaud the crack down and strength of the population who do seem to be fully in agreement with such stern measures......makes our judicial service and Police look almost almost like Neutered Guard Poodles..!

Ancient Mariner
11th Oct 2016, 09:31
Whilst it seems to the Westerners like us very extreme ..I in some way applaud the crack down and strength of the population who do seem to be fully in agreement with such stern measures......makes our judicial service and Police look almost almost like Neutered Guard Poodles..!

Some of us Westerners did something similar in the 30'ies and 40'ies.
It didn't quite catch on.
Per

bcgallacher
11th Oct 2016, 12:16
Peter RB - you actually think it is a good thing that vigilantes and policemen should be allowed to kill anyone that they please provided they place a piece of cardboard with 'drug pusher' written on it? Just as a side note, about a thousand of the victims of the police were shot in gun battles with the police - not a single policeman has been shot dead to my knowledge. The Philippine police have long been known as corrupt murdering thugs - this is nothing really new. I have some personal knowledge of police killings in Manila over a 30 year period.

Peter-RB
11th Oct 2016, 12:40
BCG..

If you read my post as agreeing, then I am sorry If I didn't make the distinction of "Normal law Abiding Civilians" and the scourge of the modern world ie that of Drug Pushers and their customers"

Any human being who pushes or trades illegally in Drugs is a Leech, and a deadly Parasite on the society he or she lives in..they see only cash, not a shred of compassion for those whose lives and families they ruin...therefore IMO they do deserve the most instant and substantial punishment...even if that means the ultimate and final punishment available..! so long as this is State backed by whatever government, in whatever country..

larssnowpharter
11th Oct 2016, 14:52
I used to live in Davao and still visit there for a month every year. Duterte was our mayor and I once had a beer with him and a short chat about nothing very consequential. However, he struck me as a bright guy who actually cared about the city.

He was elected mayor on much the same ticket as got him elected president: law and order. Before him, Davao was ruled by the corrupt politicos and drug syndicates. Drugs were being pushed openly outside schools and you simply could not walk safely around town. He cleaned it up. He allededly, formed the DDS (Davao Death Squad) which knocked off the bad guys. The stats show around 2000 extra-judicial killing aver 10 years.

Duterte would often patrol the city at night posing as a taxi driver to find out what was really going on.

Davao is now one of the safest cities in the Phils, inward investment there is skyrocketing, the local government works and, provided you live within the law, it is a safe place to be. Tourism there is on the up and up.

I have never heard of any local gossip to claim he was corrupt which is quite something in the pork barrel system that exists there.

His election would appear to have broken the oligarchy; at least I hope so. Besides his 'war on drugs' he has also been taking on the National Police and its corruption as well as tackling the powerful figures in government who were behind and protecting some of the drug cartels.

I am not normally some right wing reactionary but, if you saw at first hand some of the damage caused by the drugs not just to the people but also by the money flowing through the system, you might applaud Duterte.

I do!

meadowrun
11th Oct 2016, 15:27
There are reports he has now banned smoking. Could be a difficult little adventure.

Octopussy2
11th Oct 2016, 15:28
It does sound like a charter just to bump off anyone you fancy though, n'est-ce pas? Even if you agree with the principle, what are the safeguards against abuse?

larssnowpharter
11th Oct 2016, 15:54
In Davao smoking is only permitted in private houses or designated public smoking areas.

I am prepared to accept that in the 'war on drugs' there is, as in any war, likely to be some collateral damage. Duterte has made his head of police in Davao head of the PNP.

Wait for the 2200 curfew for kids under 18 as in Davao.

bcgallacher
11th Oct 2016, 21:15
I watched a Philippine news report from a senior police officer today, stating that 63% of the killings were not drug related - this was an official report at some kind of news conference. Pretty much confirms what I have thought - a lot of old scores being settled without any consequences. As for Dutertes actions in Davao - he had kids of 14 or so shot for stealing mobile phones, he reduced minor crime by increasing the homicide rate. Innocent people were wrongly identified,others were killed accidentally by badly aimed shots. In the last 100 days or so about a thousand people have been shot dead by police in supposed gun battles without a single policeman shot - really? The Philippine police have always been corrupt thugs - I doubt the Duterte regime has changed that in a few weeks.

Ancient Mariner
11th Oct 2016, 21:38
I'm still an Agent with the PNP (Philippine National Police) and as such fully immune to prosecution
I'll look into it.
Per

Metro man
12th Oct 2016, 06:36
I remember a story about the Philippine police foiling a bank raid and shooting dead every one of the robbers. Somehow the money still managed to disappear.

Uncle Fred
12th Oct 2016, 06:51
Indeed BC. 1000 dead in 100 days. Sounds much more like score settling than a reflection of good constabulary practices.

Of course in these cases the score settling simply gets out of control and any slight, perceived or real, ends up a death sentence for someone.

In my HO a child of 14 should not die for mobile theft...to say the least.

megan
12th Oct 2016, 07:18
Somehow the money still managed to disappearHappens in the west as well. Drugs confiscated in raids have been known to end up on the street, having lined the constabularies pockets on the way. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. :sad:

bcgallacher
12th Oct 2016, 07:56
Metro man - I can confirm your bank robbery story,it happened while I was in the Philippines,in a bank in las Pinas. As you say all the bank robbers were shot dead but no money was recovered. General Lim who was chief of police appeared on tv one night to show a briefcase full of heroin which his police had recovered after killing two army officers.The next week the city analyst was on the same programme stating the bags had no heroin in them but there were traces on the bags, Make what you like of that.

bcgallacher
12th Oct 2016, 08:00
Ancient Mariner - Are you also immune to being shot?

Uncle Fred
21st Oct 2016, 08:33
What think ye denizens, past and present, of the Phillipines regarding the Prez's remarks yesterday in China that he is seperating from the U.S. as America is "finished."

Rather disturbing rhetoric is it not?

Ancient Mariner
21st Oct 2016, 09:04
bcgallacher: Ancient Mariner - Are you also immune to being shot?

Probably not, and not something I worried about much when we lived there, nor worry about now.
My immunity was probably limited, never put it to any fire tests, but nice to have in traffic, or what is considered traffic in Manila.
Per

Ancient Mariner
21st Oct 2016, 09:08
Uncle Fred,
not surprised. Some of the wealthiest, and most powerful citizens of the Phils are of Chinese origin. Add promised investment, aid for building infrastructure, some pockets filled with, ironically, USD and hey presto, goodbye Washington, hello Beijing.
Per

bcgallacher
21st Oct 2016, 13:36
The Chinese in the Philippines are intensely disliked - about 1900 some 10,000 were killed in Manila. When the ill mannered Chinese tourists get there they will generate even more dislike!

Ancient Mariner
21st Oct 2016, 13:50
The Chinese in the Philippines are intensely disliked - about 1900 some 10,000 were killed in Manila. When the ill mannered Chinese tourists get there they will generate even more dislike!

Not so sure, they are already there. My favourite resort had been bought by a Philippino/Chinese (P/C) company and are aiming at Chinese guests. Goodbye Club Paradise :sad:
Many large companies are owned by P/C so nothing new.
And the Chinese cemetery is as popular as ever. Weird place, always took first time guests there.
Per

Lonewolf_50
12th Oct 2017, 15:07
It appears that the war on drugs Mr Duterte was running has been reduced to address other concerns (http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/philippines-drugs-war-to-target-big-fish-police-units-disbanded/ar-AAtkq66?ocid=ientp).

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's ferocious war on drugs will shift to a higher gear to target "big fish", officials said on Thursday, moving away from street level operations to go after big networks and suppliers.

Duterte issued a directive on Tuesday ordering the police to halt activities in the anti-drug campaign and leave all operations to the drug enforcement agency, amid unprecedented scrutiny of police conduct.
The national police chief disbanded all 18 regional anti-drugs units on Thursday and said the resources would be channeled into fighting other crimes.

I wish him best of luck in going after the big fish. They tend to have powerful friends.