PDA

View Full Version : ORPs at RAF Cottesmore

Petet
9th Oct 2016, 10:22
I am just doing some research on No 35 Squadron's time at RAF Cottesmore and noticed that the 4 ORPs are disconnected from the runway. Does anyone know when (or why) this happened?

Regards

Pete

Jerry Atrick
9th Oct 2016, 11:02
I think it was when the base was upgraded in 2000 for the arrival of the Harrier force from Germany. The large ASP to the south was created at the same time. Happy to be corrected though!

uffington sb
9th Oct 2016, 14:23
When I was there in ATC in 1974 they were connected to the runway, but looking on G earth shows the lead in from the taxiway and onto the runway Ina lighter shade of green suggest it may have been fairly recent.

Pontius Navigator
9th Oct 2016, 18:15
Uffington, Google Earth historic view shows the disconnection in 1999.

MPN11
9th Oct 2016, 18:39
I was there in ATC in 1974 ... I greet another ATCO (ATCA?)

Out Of Trim
10th Oct 2016, 16:37
Seems a strange upgrade, to remove a facility. More like an expensive downgrade! :ugh:

chevvron
11th Oct 2016, 09:12
I am just doing some research on No 35 Squadron's time at RAF Cottesmore and noticed that the 4 ORPs are disconnected from the runway. Does anyone know when (or why) this happened?

Regards

Pete
It's not a true ORP but a V-Bomber dispersal. If you look on Zoom.Earth you can see traces of the short taxiways connecting the 4 pans to the runway.

Wander00
11th Oct 2016, 10:09
Petet - that when my mate and Best Man first time round, Dave Dinmore, was with them?

Pontius Navigator
11th Oct 2016, 16:26
It's not a true ORP but a V-Bomber dispersal. If you look on Zoom.Earth you can see traces of the short taxiways connecting the 4 pans to the runway.
The purpose of an operational readiness platform is to position an aircraft ready for entering the runway in the minimum time. A V-bomber dispersal is not on the runway but on main base a typical clutch of 4.

The OP was why was that connection with the runway removed and when was if done. We know it was there and had been removed by 1999. The questions remain, when and why.

Petet
11th Oct 2016, 22:38
Thanks for the responses to date; your time and effort is appreciated.

In addition to my original question, I guess the responses also beg the question, if the ORPs were not used by the V-Bombers, when were they utilised and by what aircraft ?

Regards

Pete

longer ron
12th Oct 2016, 06:56
Pete
I was based at Cottesmore in the early 70's,I was a rigger on 231 OCU.
The ORP was used by Canberras whilst the 'Rudder Lock Party' took an 'A' frame ladder under the wing and along under the fuselage to remove the rudder lock (with both engines running) - which we then stowed in the cockpit and closed the door.
Not much fun as it was almost always a x-wind,and the hot jet efflux was probably healthy for the groundcrew !
Manual Rudder Canberras could not taxy in high winds unless the rudder lock was fitted ,we turned the lock upside down so there was a 'notch' to allow the rudder tab to move - hence allowing some rudder pedal movement for differential braking.

rgds LR

Pontius Navigator
12th Oct 2016, 11:56
Pete, the ORP was occupied at Alert Conditions 2 or 3 or from Reinforced Alert when the force generated to RS 15. As said before, QRA aircraft were located near the main runway but further away for safety.

For example Coningsby suffered two crashes, one to the north of the runway, the other impacted the runaway and lost a wheel. The aircraft landed on foam at Waddo, its wheel bounced through or over the QRA dispersal.

Finningley Boy
12th Oct 2016, 14:31
A good many V-Bomber bases had the same QRA slipway design; Finningley, Scampton, Waddington, Gaydon, Wittering and I imagine; Marham, Honington, Coningsby and Wyton.

The latter four I couldn't say for sure but I imagine they had the same four slipways as well.

FB:)

Pontius Navigator
12th Oct 2016, 17:33
FB, correct, in fact if you look at other dispersal airfields you will see such ORP. Ballykelly 4, Prestwick 2,Machrahanish 2, Lossiemouth 2, Elvington 2, Church Fenton 4, Leeming, Leconfield, Cranwell 4, Pershore 2, Valley 2, Llanbedr 2, Brawdy 2, Bedford 2/4, Manston 2, Wattisham, Coltishall 4. There are others I have either forgotten or were dispersal without ORP.

Petet
12th Oct 2016, 22:00
Thanks as always for the feedback.

With the help of this thread and some offline feedback I think I now have a basic understanding of the Bomber Command procedures for the 4 Alert Conditions and the 3 Reaction States and how the ORPs were utilised.

In discussions, I have been advised that the system changed when Bomber Command became Strike Command (1968?), so I am now researching the 5 NATO Alert Conditions (Peacetime Readiness, Military Vigilance, Simple, Reinforced and General) but there is limited information on these so I don't know how they equate to the 4 Bomber Command ones and whether Reaction States also applied.

..... my research has taken me miles away from my initial post ...... but it is all interesting stuff and it is helping me understand No. 35 Squadron's role in the post war era

Regards

Pete

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2016, 13:01
I recall the NATO system broke down in to three sections, the State of Military Vigilance, the precautionary measures system, Simple Alert etc, and the Counter Surprise System of State Orange and Scarlet. Hennessey in The Secret State covers the introduction of these.