PDA

View Full Version : Bachelor of Aviation

AhmadHadder
9th Oct 2016, 06:55
Is there a place where I can quickly obtain a Bachelor of Aviation degree based on my current CPL/ME? my license is CASA.

Royal Jordanian would hire Jordanian CPL/ATPL holders with no experience but because I am 28 at the moment I might need a Bachelor degree.

PilotLZ
9th Oct 2016, 12:50
There are some universities in the UK which credit ATPL theory towards a degree (Bucks university is one, I think?), but you need to have done the theoretical course with a specific training provider. Overally, I don't think that any pilot licence can be credited towards a degree programme unless the theoretical part of it has been done either within the corresponding university or under its supervision.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Oct 2016, 16:54
If you want a quick (frankly, mickey mouse) BSc based on ATPL credits you need to go to the USA. It's probably the only country with a large enough education base combined with (in some quarters) low enough standards.

Remember that in most circumstances a BSc takes twice as long, in full time study, as a CPL/IR.

SeventhHeaven
9th Oct 2016, 19:23
Also, a BSc is .. well ... not bull****? Anyone who thinks ATPL studies are just the same as going to uni quite frankly needs get his marbles checked.

I'm baffled that it is even possible to use the ATPLs as BSc credits .. anywhere really ....

Genghis the Engineer
10th Oct 2016, 08:22
Having dipped in and out of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching for a couple of decades, as well as having a CPL, I wouldn't call any pilot licence "BS".

However, I would argue that an fATPL (CPL + ME + IR) holder could reasonably complete an appropriately constructed BSc level degree in only 2 years of full time study.

And presumably that chunk of well managed high level study, and the personal development that goes with it, that the employers who require a degree are looking for.

In that light, I imagine that someone with a certificate mill awarded McDegree would probably be less highly regarded than someone who is simply honest about not having a degree and shows their personal development in other areas.

gfunc
10th Oct 2016, 11:09
Just a quick point - I use to work at an Australian university (one of the "Group of Eight"), when recruiting new graduate students we had a list of "unacceptable degree qualifications". Bachelor of Aviation was on that list, presumably as it hadn't either met the criteria for accredited bachelor degrees - you might want to double check what this employer accepts before committing any cash to an institution.

PilotLZ
10th Oct 2016, 23:09
A decent degree in aviation has to be either BSc or BEng - and there are accreditation requirements for those, affecting the value of the degree. So, in my opinion, there's little point in going for "quick options". There are no shortcuts to proper education. If you cannot take a couple of years out and do a full-time course, consider part-time options which will, however, give you a document which will be recognizable.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Oct 2016, 13:11
As a general rule, BEng has much more strict accreditation requirements