PDA

View Full Version : Australian PPL to UK EASA PPL (SEP) for recreational pilot

ds34542
8th Oct 2016, 01:04
Hi - I'm looking for a little high-level advice.

Background: I'm 42, young family, currently in Australia, looking at going back to the UK. I've been flying microlights recreationally for 5 years and considering 'upgrading' to PPL to allow me to fly with more family members.

I have 83hrs PIC, 78 hrs student, almost all in microlights - a CAA NPPL(M) non-expiring from 2010, RAA PC from 2011, CASA PPL Student licence, CASA Class 2 medical, and UK-issued FRTOL valid to 2020.

I'd fly 1-2 monthly in microlights, more rarely in 172's or similar, and possibly a stretch goal of a bit of flying in the US at some point.

I was originally planning to get an AU CASA PPL, and then use that to get a PPL back in the UK, as AU credits recreational flight time against PPL training requirements, and UK largely doesn't (10% contribution?). However, having seen that the UK CAA requires 100hrs PIC on-type, it's impossible (and uneconomic) that I would get 100hrs on a VH-registered SEP before going back to the UK, and hence I presume I would not qualify for gaining an EASA PPL from an AU PPL, as I wouldn't have the necessary on-type time.

I just wanted to confirm that this is the case, and I should give up on a CASA PPL providing any advantage. It sounds that if I want to take the family up, a more likely route in the UK is to revalidate my NPPL(M), then go to NPPL(SSEA) and onward to EASA LAPL, as Irv Lee's page suggests. Certainly, LAPL/NPPL/RPL have greatly opened up 'taking the family' for recreational flyers.

Another question, is whether there is any advantage in getting my AU CASA PPL before I leave Australia? Again, it's perpetual and nice to have available - say, as a route to a US temporary PPL certificate should I get the chance to fly there, assuming I can get a CASA BFR and DAME Medical if my AU PPL has lapsed beforehand - but aside from that, is there anything that would make it much harder to obtain if I returned to live in Australia a few years from now?

DS