PDA

View Full Version : US Dollar and Pound Sterling On Par?

SASless
7th Oct 2016, 13:20
Golly Gee.....perhaps I will retire to the UK now that the Pound is headed towards Par with the lowly US Dollar!

This Brexit thing is alright in my view.

I would have to change my wardrobe a bit....buy a smaller car....get a Yellow Labrador Retriever....and find a place in the Lake District or somewhere oop north and settle in a small village with a nice Pub.

Does this currency thing portend more Yanks coming east than Brits going west for retirement?

Kelly Hopper
7th Oct 2016, 13:38
I'm in Europe but outside the euro along with Aussie dollars and this time last year with the probability of a Brexit was thinking what my long term plans would be? So far it's all going to plan. I am still waiting for the UK property market collapse but the pound is going exactly the way I predicted. Just wait until article 50 is actually signed!
The plan was not to return to the UK but if you can cash in to the predicted extent and take advantage of a weak property market it's going to be difficult to resist.
I'll give it another year or two but for sure, 'feeling richer by the day!

SpringHeeledJack
7th Oct 2016, 13:42
Does this currency thing portend more Yanks coming east than Brits going west for retirement?

I seem to recall the /$ was at parity back in the 80's for a while. Not very helpful for traipsing around the USA as a furriner. Unless the Yanks are into changeable weather and life that doesn't go 24/7, then the eccentricities and quirks of the UK might prove off-putting. Bill Bryson seemed to fall in love with the place despite these challenges :-)

Expatrick
7th Oct 2016, 13:47
Looks like Daphne Du Maurier's fiction might become fact!

pax britanica
7th Oct 2016, 14:02
Well you might have the money to come and live here but as a FOREIGNER you wont be allowed to post brexit because no more immigrants will be allowed
Oh except nurses, doctors, bankers, polish builders, nannies for rich people and politicians, etc etc etc .

Few people seem to have woken up to the fact that the :$ rate isn't just about their holiday being more expensive but that oil is denominated in USD and when that goes up so does everything else.

BUT we in Britain will be in control of our own destiny , well sort of as our nuclear subs have to be made by the French as we cannot provide steel, the French provide our maritime surveilance oh and the fighters for our two new carriers which will ensure Britains place in the world. All our utilities and transport companies are owned by the French Germans or Spanish and we cannot travel anywhere east without going through or over France .

But we will be great again, it is a shame that you as a FOREIGNER will not be able to live here to see it all happen

vctenderness
7th Oct 2016, 14:11
Heard on radio today that authorities are investigating the overnight dramatic fall in Sterling. It seems the spivs might have been up to monkey business.

Sallyann1234
7th Oct 2016, 14:14
Pax, you forgot to mention the French/Chinese nuclear power stations.

But we will be great again, it is a shame that you as a FOREIGNER will not be able to live here to see it all happenBut as a foreigner with Dollars or Euros it will be very cheap for you to come and have a laugh at us.

Loose rivets
7th Oct 2016, 14:22
I've watched the exchange rate for decades. Had I had a longer life-expectancy I'd have hung on there and come home about now. This was with not a hint of what was going to happen. If you'd told me I'd have not believed you.

The pundits are all saying things like - "I expect $1.10 by the end of 2017". Yeh, right.:ugh: If ever I wanted to know about exchange rate predictions I'd phone a pal that was the boss in London of a very well known American financial something or another. Then I'd do exactly the opposite of what he recommended. There ain't no pals outside their group in the world they live in.

Parity looms, and once past that one hell of a slippery slope to . . . I don't know, but it won't be nice. We are, in real terms, worse off than at the end of the war. Nonsense?

Try to recall, if you're old enough, just how few people there were back then. What's more, they didn't expect free everything. That population pulled like hell to bring us the 60's, and then the smell of materialism - a driving force in its own right - really set the roller-coaster going. Not the best motivation but for a time it all seemed to be going in the right direction. Now, this country is weighed down with an unsustainable debt of responsibility. No, not just because of immigration, more to do with procreation. Don't get me on to how many people there really are in the UK. I've got used to screaming in the dark about that. 6.3 for every 5 when I was a child. What absolute, total and utter BOLLOCKS! Maybe that will become clear when there's no way to sustain a realistic way of life for the real numbers.

Americans come here? Don't make me laugh. So few hard working ordinary folk have any money, and those that do wouldn't qualify for our medicine etc., etc.

Always, if we put aside the madness of war for a moment, greed is the culprit. Viewing life from the furthest horizon, I'm still not able to comprehend people being able to enjoy extreme wealth while living in sight of extreme poverty.

G-CPTN
7th Oct 2016, 14:38
I seem to recall the /$ was at parity back in the 80's for a while.
down to a low of $1.05 (caused by the severe weakness of the pound) in February 1985.

Expatrick
7th Oct 2016, 15:27
I may be losing out with the pound now but the riproaring inflation that will surely follow will do wonders for my pension!

lomapaseo
7th Oct 2016, 15:34
BUT we in Britain will be in control of our own destiny , well sort of as our nuclear subs have to be made by the French as we cannot provide steel,

We use titanium over here and get it from Russia

ShyTorque
7th Oct 2016, 17:45
Does this currency thing portend more Yanks coming east than Brits going west for retirement? No, SASless. All our rules and regulations are far too strict for you.

charliegolf
7th Oct 2016, 18:48
You'd have to check your guns in, like in the old Westerns!

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Oct 2016, 20:43
I seem to recall the /$ was at parity back in the 80's for a while. Not very helpful for traipsing around the USA as a furriner.
I remember $1.07. I was traipsing around Hawaii ... not the cheapest part of the USA, but someone else had paid to get me there and it was probably once-in-a-lifetime so I spent the money anyway.

barry lloyd
7th Oct 2016, 20:58
Well the dollar could well fall through the floor once the elections are over...

Metro man
7th Oct 2016, 22:01
I feel sorry for the Americans having to choose between a buffoon and Hilary Clinton. With the huge population base in the US, surely there must be plenty of well qualified and suitable presidential candidates for both parties. How did it ever come down to these two ???

Robert Cooper
7th Oct 2016, 22:15
MM

A bunch of us over here are asking the same question

Bob C

SASless
7th Oct 2016, 22:16
No, SASless. All our rules and regulations are far too strict for you.

Must have been some Loop Holes in your Rules and Regs then young Son....been there complete with Work Permit and Permission to Stay in the past and a dozen pages of funny looking Stamps in the Passport granting me leave to visit.

Loose rivets
7th Oct 2016, 22:16
I'd forgotten just how near parity it was in the early 80's. Incredible, since at the end of that decade I was able to buy a home there for a bewilderingly small sum in Sterling. However, when I went to a bank with a deal to take over one of the abandoned property developments, they looked at me as though I was mad. They'd lost so much on property they simply didn't have anything to do with it. We sat staring at each other in absolute silence for what seem like an age. Me thinking property was always a winner, and him knowing his banking days would be over if he even said, 'house'.

A bank VP became a manager in a family company. He doubted he'd ever go back to those Halcyon days of posh offices and gentleman's clubs. He was right, and his life turned to [email protected] We became friends.

All around Austin, beside the beautiful lakes, property development had come to a standstill. When I say Standstill, I mean like powered gates to estates left half open with the wires hanging out of boxes - just where the Sparks had packed his bags and gone home. Deer roamed around the half finished houses, and extended family, a good friend, met the vultures on the courthouse steps every weekday, dumping his investments at 14c on the dollar. He was such a nice bloke.

Winners and losers. Tough old world. Thing about being on the accent, one never quite imagines descending into the abyss. That's what other people do . . . until one day, life getsya.

Fairdealfrank
7th Oct 2016, 22:26
I feel sorry for the Americans having to choose between a buffoon and Hilary Clinton. With the huge population base in the US, surely there must be plenty of well qualified and suitable presidential candidates for both parties. How did it ever come down to these two ???

The founding fathers who wrote the US constitution put in many checks and balances, for example, "the most powerful man in the world" (sic) is hemmed in by Congress in many policy areas and by the judges in others. One thing the founding fathers forgot was a law against stupid people becoming president.

galaxy flyer
7th Oct 2016, 22:39
Hils is like playing Russian Roulette with s semi-auto. The Donald is like playing with a revolver. We won't survive Hils; off chance the Donald will really shake things up but might kill us like she will.

GF

Tankertrashnav
7th Oct 2016, 22:44
I recall in 85 that the lads in the City were planning "parity parties" for the day when the exchange rate reached 1 = $1. Never quite got there and soon after the started its long climb back. All going down again, but I see no reason why the same shouldn't happen again

Anyway, as old Harold assured us - the pound in your pocket hasn't been devalued!

Pace
7th Oct 2016, 22:44
We’re not out of the woods just yet...
Despite a clear victory for Brexit, according to our well-connected currency wars expert, Jim Rickards... bitter EU bureaucrats and trigger-happy traders are planning a “financial attack” on the UK that could impact every pound in your pocket.

I picked up this warning days ago and posted it on the Brexit pro con thread post 1075! Is this attack on sterling been manipulated ? Someone knew
Too much of a coincidence

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/flash-crash-pound-1-14-095600132.html;_ylc=X1MDMTE5Nzc4NDE4NQRfZXgDMQRfeXJpZANiMGw0 dW41YnZnODl2BGcDZFhWcFpEeHVjejQyTjJFeFlqUTBaaTFsTW1NMExUTTRa bU10WVdVd1l5MDJaVE0xTm1JNU5URXhORGc4Wm1sbGJHUStYbVowYzJVPQRs YW5nA2VuLUdCBG9yaWdfbGFuZwNlbi1HQgRvcmlnX3JlZ2lvbgNHQgRwb3MD MQRyZWdpb24DR0IEc3ltYm9sA15GVFNF

onetrack
7th Oct 2016, 22:58
Is this attack on sterling been manipulated ?No, it's what happens when computers do all the trading, in blocks of milliseconds, and the computer programs detect a fall, and they all lodge sell orders within a few milliseconds.

I've always said that allowing banks and financial institutions to trade in currencies is madness, and it should be totally banned.

Think about this. The various Depts that control Measures and Weights, insist on checking every measuring device to ensure 100% accuracy and conformation with precise measurement and weight standards.
Any trader, shop, dealer or other form of seller, found supplying any variation in a set measure or weight is subject to harsh penalties.

A currency is a measure or standard of wealth and value. It should be fixed in stone. However, we have allowed ruthless and unscrupulous bankers and politicians to "play" with the value of our currencies on a daily basis - telling us, it's "market forces" at work.

What a lying, thieving, conniving, evil stunt this is. A bank can invest $100B overnight in currency trading and make $10M or $20M profit on the movements in currency values on the other side of the world that is at work, when we are sleeping.

This is not wealth creation. This is outright scamming and fraud - and they should all be in jail for it, just as those who scam us on fair weights and measures are jailed.

Pace
7th Oct 2016, 23:10
No, it's what happens when computers do all the trading, in blocks of milliseconds, and the computer programs detect a fall, and they all lodge sell orders within a few milliseconds.

Exactly Accidently ior on purpose ? This warning from a financial paper ! Announcement of art 50 and the warning happens ? Someone fiddled the computers to do that to cause us trouble

Trouble is its forced real selling so it won't return back to $1.29 in the same time it crashed

ExXB
7th Oct 2016, 23:43
I blame the Chemtrails...

tdracer
8th Oct 2016, 00:38
I keep thinking of a Groucho Marx line:
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
I don't think I want a president that wants that job.
Over the years there have been a few people that initially expressed interest in running for POTUS - people who I thought would have made good presidents. As soon as they thought about what it would mean, both to them and to their families, they quickly lost interest (Colin Powell comes to mind).

Metro man
8th Oct 2016, 00:40
It's not the first time this sort of thing has happened with electronic trading. I thought there were supposed to be circuit breakers in the system to stop it going too far.

TURIN
8th Oct 2016, 01:00
I keep thinking of a Groucho Marx line:
I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
I don't think I want a president that wants that job.
Over the years there have been a few people that initially expressed interest in running for POTUS - people who I thought would have made good presidents. As soon as they thought about what it would mean, both to them and to their families, they quickly lost interest (Colin Powell comes to mind).
tdracer is online now Report Post

The Presidents job is not to wield power, but to draw attention away from it.
Zaphod Beeblebrox was supremely good at this.

Douglas Adams RIP

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
8th Oct 2016, 08:53
Exist for more developed stock exchanges. Not for spot fx trading...an unregulated product.

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
8th Oct 2016, 09:04
Where is the evidence to say this is an attack?

Could be many reasons why it fell suddenly.
There might have been a "fat finger".
Could have been algorithmic trading.
Could have been a big sell order.
Could have been a big UK investor deciding to hedge his U.K. exposure.
Could have been a whole load of stop orders going off on various platforms.

Wouldn't be surprised to see cable head towards parity.
Wouldn't be surprised to see it go back towards 1.50, for example if politicians seem to negotiate a deal favourable to the uk.
Look back in 5 years and it might have done both.
Who's to say what the correct value of cable should be?

Pace
8th Oct 2016, 13:48
SDQRN

Yes the Banks and financial sector have called for a Soft Brexit and are blaming the TM hard Brexit stance for the falling pound

As an attack was forecast a week ago and other factors I don't reckon this was a mistake but a move to cause problems for the UK

But it has had the desired effect while while the pound has recovered back it has drawn attention and won't come back to $1.29

It was done to speed up a steady decline in the pound
Those invested in the FTSE will be pleased as every time the pound crashes the FTSE shoots and is at
record levels

Normally when the Government do something right the currency responds by strengthening surely the government must be getting the message that they are getting it wrong

Our puppet on a string PM and her Three Hard Brexiteers need to change tack and realise it was not the wish of the people to Hard Brexit or maybe not even Brexit at any cost

vctenderness
8th Oct 2016, 14:39
When Trump is anointed in January the dollar will plummet. Also when the crooks in the EU stop covering up the dire state of the Euro and Greece defaults again the euro will also drop like a stone.

Bring it on........

testpanel
8th Oct 2016, 14:48
Who is this :mad: idiot?

Pound crash: Philip Hammond urges calm over sterling drop - but warns of worse to come :ugh:

So what is it? Turbulence or calm seas......

Last month i lost almost 20% on my salary..

http://http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/pound-value-crash-brexit-flash-philip-hammond-sterling-drop-worse-to-come-a7351076.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/pound-value-crash-brexit-flash-philip-hammond-sterling-drop-worse-to-come-a7351076.html)

Expatrick
8th Oct 2016, 15:08
SDQRN

Our puppet on a string PM and her Three Hard Brexiteers need to change tack and realise it was not the wish of the people to Hard Brexit or maybe not even Brexit at any cost

Too late now, the die is cast.

SASless
8th Oct 2016, 15:30
The Banks have called for a soft exit....gee...really?

They are about to get their asses handed to them and they as usual want protection?

Too bad Boys....the people spoke and are prepared to pay the price (if any) of the Exit from the EU.

HeartyMeatballs
8th Oct 2016, 15:44
Oh I do love it when people try and prove how insular we are and then list how we need foreign steel/nukes/power stations/nannies/hand car washers/fruit pickers. It's all very true. It's true now and it will be true in future.

As the UK becomes more global thinking (once again) we will have access to a much wider skill set and much more diverse cultural influences. It's only you racists who want us shackled to a predominately white only continent that seem to have a problem and twist things to make it look like we want to secure the border and cut all ties. A continent with a broken banking system, with up to 50% youth unemployment, stagnant economies and all managed by a dictatorial regime.

I look forward to the remaniacs making excuses for their predominately white only EU leadership when Greece and the Euro go down.

If I had money I'd still put it into sterling, any day. But I think gold has potential. It's value will surge when Trump gets in.

Stanwell
8th Oct 2016, 15:57
No, it's what happens when computers do all the trading, in blocks of milliseconds, and the computer programs detect a fall, and they all lodge sell orders within a few milliseconds.

I've always said that allowing banks and financial institutions to trade in currencies is madness, and it should be totally banned.

Think about this. The various Depts that control Measures and Weights, insist on checking every measuring device to ensure 100% accuracy and conformation with precise measurement and weight standards.
Any trader, shop, dealer or other form of seller, found supplying any variation in a set measure or weight is subject to harsh penalties.

A currency is a measure or standard of wealth and value. It should be fixed in stone. However, we have allowed ruthless and unscrupulous bankers and politicians to "play" with the value of our currencies on a daily basis - telling us, it's "market forces" at work.

What a lying, thieving, conniving, evil stunt this is. A bank can invest $100B overnight in currency trading and make $10M or $20M profit on the movements in currency values on the other side of the world that is at work, when we are sleeping.

This is not wealth creation. This is outright scamming and fraud - and they should all be in jail for it, just as those who scam us on fair weights and measures are jailed.
A profound post, onetrack.
Take heed ye all.

angels
8th Oct 2016, 18:32
Great! A return to fixed exchange rates! When it comes to internet discussion about global economics it is just like Godwin's Law!

If you want globalisation it ain't gonna happen. Where would you fix the pound Stanwell? What would you fix it against? Gold?!

Re algos, I never got involved in algo trading while I was in the market (and don't know much about it). That said, this sort of thing is more common than people realise, but tends not to be on such a scale.

The market is incredibly thin at that time of the trading day and that IMHO is what exacerbated all this.

As an aside, well before I left the FX market (2 years ago), more than half the daily trades on Wall Street (US stock market) were between computers with no human input.

Jack D
8th Oct 2016, 19:09
Lots of good ideas & opinions here , the latest gold price fixing scandal (no less) is but a case in point .
Goldmans & their past & present dodgy CEO,s & traders have far too much political clout .
Back to the topic , many years ago an old senior banker back in the days when some propriety was demanded said "young man just buy Swiss francs & forget about them you will sleep soundly & build wealth " seems he was not wrong ! if you can find the time have a look at the performance vs any major currency over the past 10 - 20 yrs . I often wonder why this currency almost never features on any business tv programme or belated report in the financial press ? It's really a grandpa putting money under the mattress strategy but v effective . Just my own experience .. & sound sleep is priceless !

SARF
8th Oct 2016, 22:27
Anyone calling it cable knows what they are talking about.. if your older there is merlins, wire, and all the rest .....
So what if it goes to parity., it won't stay there long ... a sterling crash now is as good news as a sterling crash was post ERM. white Wednesday
There is no global inflation. Quite the opposite.. any big economy wants a lower exchange rate now. Its win win for U.K. Plc

onetrack
9th Oct 2016, 00:31
Gold is always a major fallback position in times of uncertainty, war, devaluations, and any threat to asset values. Even the greatest wheelers and dealers in shares and currencies will flock to gold when all the numbers are looking disastrous.

Why is this? Could it be that gold is a known, fixed value store of wealth that cannot be destroyed, corrode, burn, dissolve, or have its highly-sought-after value disappear overnight? - unlike those paper fiat currencies where every scamming financial institution, banker and politician, has a finger in the pie of the currency values, ensuring the pie is a different size, for the same purchase price, every day?

A fixed currency/exchange value is anathema to the bankers and politicians, it takes away their vast economic controlling powers, and returns it to the people.

Bankers and politicians have done their very best to relegate gold to a position no value and no use in any financial system. They are fearful of the solid, fixed value of gold.

It's been stated that 300 top-ranking economists have deemed gold a barbarous relic (a term coined by John Maynard Keynes) - of no monetary value, nor of any value to any economy, or "modern economic system".
Unfortunately, these 300 top-ranking economists have yet to convince at least 6,000,000,000 people in the worlds population, that they are right, and 6,000,000,000 people in the rest of the world, are wrong.

These same 300 top-ranking economists have now reached the point where not a one of them, has any idea what to do about massive global debt levels, stagflation, high unemployment levels, and general global economic malaise.

They've experimented with interest-rate reductions (to the point of introducing the utterly incomprehensible stupidity of negative interest rates), printing fiat money with no asset backing (the quaintly-named "quantitative easing" - a banking BS term, if ever one was coined), and they now sit around wringing their hands, staring at numbers that "keep going the wrong way" - and they are now totally bereft of any solutions that could cure the multiple economic disasters, and currency values crash of many developed countries, that is yet to come.

That point is where gold will once again become the "true store of value", that the ordinary people of the world will again resort to, once their "economic experts" and financial institutions, have failed them totally.

Stanwell
9th Oct 2016, 01:32
angels,
Noticing that you describe yourself as an "FX Guru", I thank you for your valuable opinion.
Please just pardon me if I don't climb the mountain and pay homage at the entrance to your cave.
I do, however, like to think that ten years' active involvement in international trade taught me a thing or two.

These days, I just sit back with a glass of single malt, dog by my side and watch - while slowly shaking my head at the
shenanigans and manipulations I see breathlessly reported in the financial pages and elsewhere.
Good luck out there.

SASless
9th Oct 2016, 01:47
How do you buy Potatoes with Gold when the other guy has Potatoes and you have Gold....but you both wish to eat?

John Hill
9th Oct 2016, 01:54
Use the gold to buy a gun and shoot the guy with the potatoes.

galaxy flyer
9th Oct 2016, 02:02
Like your style. John, but if you have gold, you should have a gun.

GF

onetrack
9th Oct 2016, 02:58
SASless, you're missing the point. The gold is used as a store of value and as the standard of exchange. All currencies of any usefulness were once linked to (or interchangeable with), gold or silver as a method of ensuring the currency kept its stated value.
Anyone wanting to exchange one type of commodity for another doesn't necessarily need to have gold even - but the gold value ensures the relationship between commodities, assets, and values is kept on an even keel.
However, if you have gold, you have the ability to buy food commodities. Even in extreme conditions, people will swap food for gold, as evidenced by the desperate trades during wartime.

John Hill
9th Oct 2016, 03:39
GF, if you have a gun you can always get more gold.

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
9th Oct 2016, 11:15
Pace

This is not another thread to turn into another Brexit pros and cons pace hamster wheel.
So instead of being very rude...I will now just block you as you talk shite out of both sides of your face man.

Oops. Sorry. That was very rude.

D SQDRN 97th IOTC
9th Oct 2016, 11:19
And now blocked.
First time I have ever blocked a pprune user.

Mr Optimistic
9th Oct 2016, 11:38
Gold would be useless in a major crisis. No good wandering into Tesco with the odd sovereign even if there was stuff on the shelves. It's afterwards when it gets to be of value, for the survivors!

angels
9th Oct 2016, 14:08
Stanwell, you're new here! Ex-FX guru I am, retired two years ago. No-one needs to come and worship at my cave! I suppose I should update my moniker, but how does one do that now Danny has retired as well?

Anyway, SARF has got it. Cable parity is but a psychological thing. I was on the fringes of the FX market (settlements) when cable last was going there and of course because everyone expected it to hit parity it didn't!

And re the Swissie, when I started in the money markets in the late 70s, one of my first jobs was to collate euro interest rates. O/N, T/N, 1 week, 1,3,6 and 12 months. "Why is there a hyphen ( - ) in front of the CHF?" I asked naively!!

Negative rates aren't new!

SASless
9th Oct 2016, 14:12
One-track,

That trading Gold for Food thing works only if there is enough Food to be shared/traded/bartered for Gold.

That is my point....it requires someone to have a surplus of food and is willing to exchange some of it for Gold.

I submit there are other precious metals that would be of far more value in the original situation than Gold (no surplus of food) that would facilitate a trade of sorts.

Brass, Copper, and Lead being the metals.....when combined into a thing called "Ammunition" and added to a Gun.

That method allows one to have both Food and Gold.

Loose rivets
9th Oct 2016, 14:15
I've got a sovereign that's worth c500 quid and another worth ten times that amount because the horse's tail is a certain length. How will I explain this to the staff at Tesco?

onetrack
10th Oct 2016, 01:30
There's never been a time when the world has no food. That's a preppers belief, the "nuclear aftermath", a vision of world wasteland, where only those with guns and food stocks survive.
It just ain't ever gonna happen, it's a majorly pessimistic, "end of days" view. There is always food available, and there are always people who want to trade some food for some gold, to store their asset value.
Of course, it helps when the gold is in tradeable and recognisable pieces - thus the very early gold coins.

G-CPTN
10th Oct 2016, 07:50
There's never been a time when the world has no food. That's a preppers belief, the "nuclear aftermath", a vision of world wasteland, where only those with guns and food stocks survive.
It just ain't ever gonna happen, it's a majorly pessimistic, "end of days" view. There is always food available, and there are always people who want to trade some food for some gold, to store their asset value.
The food has to get from the fields to the customers.
If the delivery chain fails (much is shipped by air nowadays) then it is not available.
There are many scenarios which would prevent food from reaching the shops.

Sallyann1234
10th Oct 2016, 09:04
There are many scenarios which would prevent food from reaching the shops.
Which is the real problem. People no longer live in the countryside, where they can grow or steal food.
Urban populations only have access to food in shops, and when those have sold out or been looted, that's when the nasty stuff starts. You can't eat gold, or guns for that matter.

TURIN
10th Oct 2016, 09:13
http://www.sweetandnostalgic.co.uk/ekmps/shops/sweet/images/dig-for-victory-tea-towel-817-p.jpg

Expatrick
10th Oct 2016, 09:52
Interesting how a pound vs dollar topic quickly turned into a discussion about apocolyptic scenarios!

radeng
11th Oct 2016, 09:29
During my last employment, the exchange rate varied over the years between $1.05 and $2.32....The stock market is doing well though - at the moment!

Expatrick
13th Oct 2016, 10:21
Marmite is the new currency, it's just risen 10%.