PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL on tailwheel aircraft

ago.xr
7th Oct 2016, 11:41
Hello everybody,
I am planning to get my PPL soon and I'm considering pros and cons of doing it on tailwheel aircraft rather than the usual tri-cycle.
The only school I could find claiming to do this was Above Alaska Aviation (now part of FlyAroundAlaska) in Talkeetna (AK) but I have been in contact with the actual owner and I was told they do tailwheel conversions but no "tailwheel-PPL".

Does anybody know any place, anywhere in the world were you can get an FAA PPL training on taildraggers?

Thanks!

Genghis the Engineer
7th Oct 2016, 18:34
There are certainly places in the UK where you can - then a bit of paperwork to get a new FAA 61.75 reciprocal license will meet your needs.

Other flying schools exist but West London Aero Club at White Waltham, and the Tiger Club at Clacton would be obvious starting points.

ago.xr
8th Oct 2016, 07:42
I have e just found a place in Canada: Namao Flying Club, Edmonton. They train for PPL on a Citabria.

and an eventual FAA conversion shouldn't be too much of a hassle right?

Genghis the Engineer
8th Oct 2016, 08:19
Why do you want an FAA PPL if you are based in the UK?

But no, any ICAO PPL licence holder - Europe, Canada, South Africa, Australia - take your pick: regulation 61.75 gets you an FAA PPL with the same rights and privileges in the USA and/or on N-reg aircraft as your home licence.

Frankly however, get your first licence in your country of residence, as that's where you'll do most of your flying. Hence my suggesting Clacton and White Waltham, both of whom will do you a PPL on a tailwheel aeroplane quite happily.

G