PDA

View Full Version : ‘Most advanced personal flying machine ever’

Sallyann1234
5th Oct 2016, 15:09
Latest jet pack demonstration

Apologies for aviation (sort of) content, and RT link, but what does the panel think of this?

http://on.rt.com/7r27

“JetPack Aviation is already working on a personal flying machine that will be so safe and simple to operate, it could be used by average commuters in daily life,”

I can imagine the fun with hundreds of these things all converging on a busy city centre. :E

"so safe" until mechanical /electrical failure. No glide. No autorotate. No parachute.

Krystal n chips
5th Oct 2016, 15:41
Hmm ! this could be quite entertaining.....:E

A bit like the arrival of the first mobiles " I 'm on the twain, yah "...now however, "I'm on the jet pack, mwah....erm, sorry, have to go, it's all gone a bit quiet !"

Alas, until they incorporate a coffee cup holder, with flexible tube, it's unlikely to take off.....:ooh:

PDR1
5th Oct 2016, 15:42
The single-engine-failure safety case looks a tad dubious...

PDR

Stanwell
5th Oct 2016, 15:49
Another of your better posts, K&C. :ok:

Brian Abraham
5th Oct 2016, 17:57
Jet packs are, like, so yesterday.

sAy9A3LLu4I

Rosevidney1
5th Oct 2016, 18:54
An incredibly expensive, diverting toy for those who don't wish to travel very far.

KenV
5th Oct 2016, 19:03
An incredibly expensive, diverting toy for those who don't wish to travel very far. I believe the exact same thing could be said about a certain pair of brothers' first flight in a place called Kitty Hawk, except their flight was even shorter. Nothing came of that, either, did it?

11Fan
5th Oct 2016, 19:08
Just stay the hell away from any Skeet Ranges.

newfieboy
5th Oct 2016, 21:47
Where you going to park the thing after your commute to the office. Can't imagine coat check gonna be too cut out to have a whack of Jetpacks hanging off the wall. The bang when one had a misfunction would make Daesh look like a bunch of amateurs.
Jet packs and drones.....great. Pleased I'm nearing retirement. Going to be more flak of the don't want to hit kind than a bad night over the Ruhr in 1943!!!

tartare
5th Oct 2016, 22:25
Bunch of naysayers and worrywarts you lot.
It's fantastic!
All encouragement to those who've come up with the idea - I wonder are those jets manufactured especially for this application (they look too large to be biggest model aircraft turbines, but too small to be Williams type small jets)?
From the pilots display it looks like there might be some computerised stability control working in various axis.
And the whole thing is light enough to be worn without any supporting frame etc.
A ballistic parachute, appropriate safe-ing and handling guidelines, avoid curves plus regulations around use would address nearly all of the safety concerns raised.
Let's not forget a helicopter is just as deadly if you find yourself low with low rotor rpm - as is a fixed wing on stall speed at low altitude.
Bell's rocket belt evolves and finally becomes practical reality.

Cazalet33
5th Oct 2016, 23:31
An incredibly expensive, diverting toy for those who don't wish to travel very far.

A decade ago they were saying the same thing about the electric car. Now a Tesla Model S can easily drive well over 300 miles.

SoundBarrier
6th Oct 2016, 00:27
Let's assume that we fix the issue with the reliability and distance there is the issue that everyone out there but me is a Muppet (tongue firmly in cheek).

Look on the roads and people cannot even follow those rules. The reason people want jet packs (with the exception of the novelty) is that they want to get places faster.

It's just going to be chaos with no traffic lights, give way to your (left - right - up - down - whatever). If the "general public" cannot obey rules of the road - think about how many issues there will be out in the skies with collateral damage on the ground.

S'pose watching jetpack races could be fun though - I'm sure RedBull would be keen.

BlankBox
6th Oct 2016, 02:18
It's just going to be chaos with no traffic lights, give way to your (left - right - up - down - whatever). If the "general public" cannot obey rules of the road - think about how many issues there will be out in the skies with collateral damage on the ground.

....waaaa no $hit Sherlock...you mean I can't fly an' skype at the same time?? ...bummer...:sad:

llondel
6th Oct 2016, 03:18

Plenty of material for the Darwin Awards thread then.

oldpax
6th Oct 2016, 03:28
this idea will never get of the ground!!!!!

tartare
6th Oct 2016, 07:46
It already has mate.
Engines developed by Dutch company AMT.
Appear to be scaled up model aircraft turbojets.
Turbofans being explored in future.

charliegolf
6th Oct 2016, 07:58
Who'll issue the noise certs? I SAID, WHO WILL ISSUE..., never mind.

CG

cattletruck
6th Oct 2016, 11:12
As always the devil is in the detail. AMT boast having a dude flying around the statue of liberty using 2 of its Nike engines.

At Euro 28K for each engine it begs the question of what would you rather have, a jet pack or a private jet trip full of upper class whores.

Price list here: AMT Netherlands retail pricelist and orderform (http://www.amtjets.com/form_pricelist.php)

Sallyann1234
6th Oct 2016, 11:26
Perhaps TCAS control will be required for busy commuter routes?
Program in the destination coords and let the machines navigate themselves around obstructions and other fliers.

jolihokistix
6th Oct 2016, 11:29
Every time they announce another of these, it strikes me that they are safer for everyone out over water.

onetrack
6th Oct 2016, 11:32
I can just see it now (cue the sound of duelling banjos) - "Hot diggety dog, Paw!! I jest brung down the biggest skeeter you ever did see! - with only one barrel, too!!

Martin the Martian
6th Oct 2016, 12:59
And he used the other barrel to stop it squealing.:ooh:

KenV
6th Oct 2016, 14:58
At Euro 28K for each engine..... My guess is that if enough popular applications are found for the engine that economies of scale will enable the price to drop drastically. Which will generate competion, which will likely result in another round of price drops. Drones were very expensive early on and only governments could afford them. Now any schmuk with a decent paying job can afford one. Computers started out this way too and now essentially everyone on the planet either owns or has ready access to multiple computers of some kind.

Krystal n chips
6th Oct 2016, 15:40
" My guess is that if enough popular applications are found for the engine that economies of scale will enable the price to drop drastically. Which will generate competion, which will likely result in another round of price drops. Drones were very expensive early on and only governments could afford them. Now any schmuk with a decent paying job can afford one. Computers started out this way too and now essentially everyone on the planet either owns or has ready access to multiple computers of some kind "

Correct....almost. One slight problem springs to mind however....the economies of scale did indeed reduce the costs.....however, computers generally don't go " Cough, splurt, stop ".....with the resulting "Splat ! " when the attached human returns to earth.

Sallyann1234
6th Oct 2016, 16:26
Cough, splurt, stop ".....with the resulting "Splat ! " when the attached human returns to earth.
... or to a road or a pedestrian or the proverbial school playground.

Cue for a song perhaps:

"Catch a falling jet pack
landing your roof top.
Hope it was a rainy day."

Krystal n chips
6th Oct 2016, 16:48
" or to a road or a pedestrian or the proverbial school playground.

Cue for a song perhaps:

"Catch a falling jet pack
landing your roof top.
Hope it was a rainy day"

I'm sure m'learned friends will regard your predictions as being, well, manna from heaven.....or a heaven sent opportunity....and will doubtless be in touch offering to negotiate royalties for your aspirational song writing skills....;)

reynoldsno1
7th Oct 2016, 01:14
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61OEzTAOczL._SL1000_.jpg

Martin the Martian
8th Oct 2016, 11:34
Ah, but remember that Buzz did not fly, just fell with style.

Rosevidney1
8th Oct 2016, 22:48

I believe the exact same thing could be said about a certain pair of brothers' first flight in a place called Kitty Hawk, except their flight was even shorter. Nothing came of that, either, did it?

Good point, but just how far do you think these gizmos will take a person? Depends on the fuel density and efficiency but I cannot see a useful range. How about some weather protection as the weather is not always kind to aspiring aviators - or are they as suggested just pointless toys for the wealthy?

onetrack
8th Oct 2016, 23:52
How about some weather protection as the weather is not always kind to aspiring aviatorsWell, I guess the users could always kit themselves up just as the motorcycle riders do, when inclement weather threatens.
The simple problem with these things when their numbers start to explode, is straight-out congestion and traffic control.
There will be a need for designated and tightly-controlled airways for these things, or there will be regular and inevitably fatal MAC's, once the numbers surge.

tdracer
9th Oct 2016, 03:49
Two problems that are likely to prevent this from becoming mainstream:
Turbine engines have not shown the sort of reduction in costs due to mass production that many other items have - there is too much precision required in the manufacture. Not just the turbine itself, but things like the fuel metering unit that are very unforgiving of any sort of manufacturing defect.
Second, thrust is an inherently fuel inefficient method of producing lift - in short the thing will always be a fuel hog. With the increasing focus on fuel efficiency and carbon emissions, I can't see this ever becoming anything other than a plaything for the 1%.

Checkboard
9th Oct 2016, 13:03
what would you rather have, a jet pack or a private jet trip full of upper class whores.

Price list here: AMT Netherlands retail pricelist and orderform (http://www.amtjets.com/form_pricelist.php)

Spent 20 minutes on that site, still can't find the private jet trip price. :mad:

Checkboard
9th Oct 2016, 13:06
Jonny Quest cartoon - 1964

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/73/dd/1c/73dd1c9b63d8c98ce785fbb57dbfc392.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/12/86/40/12864014942ba0a9fca28de6fc42dd1a.jpg

... so, the future has finally arrived! :D