PDA

View Full Version : Error code 0x800704ec and Windows Defender

Shack37
4th Oct 2016, 20:51
Hi all, I´ve tried a Pprune search but can´t find anything on the subject.
When I try to run WD I get a message that it is deactivated and a link to click on to actívate it. On clicking the link another message appears saying this program is blocked by group directive and the error code 0x800704ec.

I´ve tried restoring the system to an earlier point, no effect and bought a fault fixer called REIMAGE which I have run twice to no effect.

Help pleeease.

Blues&twos
5th Oct 2016, 06:18
There are some Youtube videos claiming to show how to fix this specific issue. I just Googled "Windows Defender error 0x800704ec".
Apologies if you've tried this already.
I haven't watched any of the videos, so I can't vouch for their usefulness.

Shack37
5th Oct 2016, 09:12
Thanks for that B&t. I´ll have a look and give it a go.

My search also mentioned Avast antivirus which I have used for years in conjunction with WD so I looked there and found this.

https://forum.avast.com/Themes/default/images/post/xx.gif
Avast 12.2.2276 and Windows Defender (Windows 7) (https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=189162.msg1327761#msg1327761)

« on: July 29, 2016, 11:48:38 AM »

It looks like that new Avast version disabled Windows Defender.
Error says that it is disabled by Group Policy (Error Code : 0x800704ec).
In Group Policy I don't see that Windows Defender is disabled.
I can enable it through Registry, but after reboot it is disabled again.
I never had any problems running both Avast and Windows Defender as antispyware.

Thanks again for the pointer.

Geordie_Expat
5th Oct 2016, 14:25
Thanks for info re Defender and Avast, I hadn't noticed that Defender has been turned off by Avast. Getting same info as above. Odd !

Shack37
6th Oct 2016, 14:57
IT expert told me do not have 3rd party security software with Windows 10 and its Defender.
Am happy so far

If that also applies to Windows 7 maybe I won´t renew Avast and just stick with Defender.

andytug
6th Oct 2016, 21:03
Most things I've seen say it's a bad idea to have two anti-virus programs running at the same time as they will clash, try and scan the same files at the same time and so on. Having said that Windows Defender always played nice with other scanners, maybe it's changed recently and that's no longer the case.