PDA

View Full Version : Some Days You Get The Bear....Some Days The Bear Gets You!

SASless
3rd Oct 2016, 01:49
A fellow in Montana encountered a Sow Grizzly with two Cubs and came out of it a Winner!

After the initial attack, he began the three mile walk back to his vehicle and was attacked a second time, survived the second attack and upon arriving at his vehicle did a Selfie Video describing his experience.

He reckons the advice one is given when being in Bear Country that says carry Bear Spray and wear a Bell might be slightly overrated.

For those who do not mind a bit of blood but enjoy a very good telling of a story will appreciate his selfie Video.

If you don't....don't click on the Link as it will take you to the News article that includes the video and some stills of his injuries. Considering the situation he came out looking awfully good as the Sow was in a defensive mode and not looking for a Warm Lunch.

Montana man documents moments after grizzly bear attack - KTVQ.com | Q2 | Continuous News Coverage | Billings, MT (http://www.ktvq.com/story/33299198/montana-man-documents-moments-after-grizzly-bear-attack)

vulcanised
3rd Oct 2016, 12:29
You get a much safer live view of bears, and others, here

Brooks Falls - Katmai National Park, Alaska (http://explore.org/live-cams/player/brown-bear-salmon-cam-brooks-falls)

lomapaseo
3rd Oct 2016, 12:37
Not much different than a stroll between bars in Detroit.

I would have been more impressed if the selfie was taken during the attack

Peter-RB
3rd Oct 2016, 15:07
I often feel like that guy looks...after a visit to my MiL..:ouch::eek:

SASless
3rd Oct 2016, 15:12
I have looked a lot worse after arguing with the Missus!:uhoh:

AtomKraft
4th Oct 2016, 01:35
Lucky guy, but a nice tough attitude!:ok:

tartare
4th Oct 2016, 02:49
Remember reading somewhere that one of the first things a bear will do when attacking is attempt to bite off the jaw of the opposing animal.
It can then proceed to finish the attack at leisure.:sad:

SASless
4th Oct 2016, 02:57
The guy had a Pistol with him but used Bear Spray instead....bad move Clyde!

The joke in Alaska was "How can you identify Bear Poop?"

The answer is it smells of Pepper and has Bells in it.

A Grizzly Bear can break a Moose's neck with one swat of a fore paw....and has some rather large toe nails that never get trimmed.

Add that to a huge mouth with lots of teeth and you have a pretty formidable predator.

Flying in the Bush in Alaska I have had a couple of encounters with Bears and I am more than willing to say they have scared the bejesus out of me a few times.

jolihokistix
5th Oct 2016, 05:05
Sounds like the sow Grizzlie came out the Winner.

Stanwell
5th Oct 2016, 06:17
A little bit of thread-drift..
I'm wondering how come mature female Grizzlies are referred to as "sows".
The last I heard, bears are more closely related to species of the 'canine' variety rather than 'porcine'.
Perhaps that might explain why mother bears get upset when encountering stupid humans.
Just a thought.

Vitesse
5th Oct 2016, 06:59
We spent a week on a ranch in Montana last July and it's a stunning place to be.

The knowledge that there is wildlife big enough to properly hurt certainly made me careful. And yes, there were bears around and had been incidents over the years.

The one occasion I hiked by myself I made damn sure I called out and made enough noise even if I did feel a bit daft doing it.

onetrack
5th Oct 2016, 14:45
I'm so glad I live in a country where there are no wild bears - and all I have to worry about, is;

1. Crocodiles ..
2. Great White sharks ..
3. Hundreds of varieties of poisonous deadly spiders, including the worlds most dangerous, the Funnel Web ..
3. Multiple varieties of the worlds deadliest snakes ..
4. Poisonous box jellyfish that will kill you within a couple of hours after being brushed by their tentacles ..
5. Deadly molluscs (Cone Snails) that produce a barb that injects you with similar neurotoxins to the box jellyfish ..
6. Pretty little Blue-ringed Octopus, that when you pick them up, and they bite you, it means you are dead within minutes ..
7. 6' tall savage birds with huge beak and claws (Cassowaries) that can run at over 30mph, and which have no hesitation in attacking humans and killing them ..
8. Ugly little fish that are covered with spines that will also inject you with paralysing neurotoxins that result in excruciating pain ....

Of course, I haven't bothered with the common annoyances such as bites from scorpions and foot-long centipedes, bee stings, wasps, a multitude of biting insects - and flies that swarm on you so thickly, you can't eat, and you can't avoid breathing them in ... :)

Geordie_Expat
5th Oct 2016, 18:19
Onetrack

Yeah but apart from those......................:\

SASless
5th Oct 2016, 20:17
onetrack.....Yorkshire must be a bit different than I remember!

Didosdadsdogsdead
5th Oct 2016, 21:42
Onetrack, you didn't mention the dropbears ;)

onetrack
6th Oct 2016, 09:16
DDDD - It's not the dropbears we have to worry about ... it's the Bunyips, with their piercing screams, that turn travellers into gibbering, incoherent wrecks, of their former selves ... :)

vapilot2004
6th Oct 2016, 09:22
...and some days, there was never really any bear, twas just your imagination, and it is entirely likely to have went Rambo when John Muir could have shown a better (and more poetic) way through...

newfieboy
6th Oct 2016, 22:15
Grizzlies....rather them than Polar or Barrenland Grizzlies thank you very much. Oh crap, I'm on standby to go rotary winging it to Baffin on Sunday for a tour. I shall be packing heat.....rather a lot of it!!! Whatever happened to the Russian dude crashed his R22 inbound Iqauluit. Claimed he swam onto an ice flow and scared a couple Polar bears off by acting tough,(ha ha ha). There was quite a lively thread last year I seem to remember.