PDA

View Full Version : Asbestos Exposure by Aircraft Fitter - Help Please

HowardBonnett
30th Sep 2016, 11:20
My name is Howard Bonnett. I am a Solicitor. I represent the family of a deceased gentleman who worked for British Airways as an Aircraft Fitter from about 1961 to 1991. I am not able to reveal his name on a public forum. He worked on a variety of different aeroplanes such as VC 10's, Boeing 707's and747's,McDonnell Douglas planes and some early Airbus planes.

We (his family and I)believe that his exposure to asbestos caused his mesothelioma. I am trying to find any people who worked for British Airways or can provide evidence about exposure to asbestos whilst working on these different aircraft.

If any of you can come forward to help it would be very much appreciated. I can be contacted in office hours on (01904) 527464 or by email at [email protected].

Even if you cannot help but can give some guidance it would be very welcome.

Thanks.

Howard

yotty
30th Sep 2016, 17:13
"I am trying to find any other people can confirm remember the gentleman or can provide evidence about exposure to asbestos whilst working on these different aircraft." Quote. Not particularly good grammar from a Solicitor and Company Director? It might jog a few people's memory if you supply a name for the unfortunate gentleman.

NutLoose
1st Oct 2016, 01:45
That is totally irrelevant who he is or the grammer used, what matters is can anyone say if the aircraft involved could be a source or not.
I just hope yotty you never get put in a position that you have to rely on bloody grammer police to get the help you need.
Not having worked on them myself, sorry I cannot help.

yotty
1st Oct 2016, 07:01
Actually it's "grammar" NutLoose! ;)

Rigga
1st Oct 2016, 08:37
This is not specific to the types mentioned, which I never worked on.

Many 1950-60's aircraft (military and civil) had asbestos 'bandages' fitted around hot pipes and used as insulation blankets in areas such as near exhausts. Most asbestos items would stay in original condition for (I assume) many years but occasionally they 'degraded' over time and were replaced based on perceived condition.

Unless they were an item of scheduled maintenance/replacement I wouldn't think most engineers would have much exposure to 'disturbed' asbestos and I also think quite low levels of dust may have been present only in long-term enclosed areas.

On the few occasions when I replaced asbestos bandages/blankets I had no additional protective equipment (in the 1980's RAF)

Very general perceptions of handling asbestos based on the aircraft I worked on - if it helps.

TURIN
1st Oct 2016, 08:51
I think Yotty was suggesting this may be a phishing expedition.

However, it seems legit.

Photos of staff at Corries (http://www.corries.co.uk/people.html)

http://www.corries.co.uk/images/people/hsb.jpg

TURIN
1st Oct 2016, 08:54
https://www.asbestos.com/occupations/aircraft-mechanics/

Some info there.

NutLoose
1st Oct 2016, 14:07
He isn't, he posted elsewhere after help, I recommended he came here as I do not work on those types, I know how to spel grammar, it was to try and lighten it up a bit. :)

HowardBonnett
4th Oct 2016, 13:54
Thank you for the help to date. And fair play to those who noted I didn't proof read properly before posting!

It is a genuine case and any help for this man's family would be much appreciated - Mesothelioma is an awful disease and securing compensation is difficult so any help, however small might just help us

Thanks

Howard

Golden Rivet
5th Oct 2016, 14:36
I've never come across asbestos in large commercial aircraft or any references to it, but thats not to say its not there....

Given the age of most of BAs hangars, Its more likely to be found in the hangar structure than the airplanes.

Progressive
5th Oct 2016, 16:11
Most early airliners contained a fair amount of asbestos in heat shields, brakes etc. A good page on the risks of exposure for maintainers here:
https://www.asbestos.com/occupations/aircraft-mechanics/

I believe boeing published a list of asbestos containing parts from thier aircraft. I will find this if i can.

wrench1
6th Oct 2016, 12:12
HB.
On this side of the pond...with all the past and current litigation over this topic, and subsequent billion dollar settlement trusts; I would venture you, or another individual in your firm, might know someone here who has access to all the relevant information you may need on asbestos, mesothelioma, and aviation.
W1

Uplinker
24th Oct 2016, 13:31
Mrs Uplinker, who used to work for BA, told me that the Cranebank building(s) had issues involving asbestos, so maybe the cause here is not the aircraft but the offices/workshops this guy worked in?