PDA

View Full Version : The next Pol Pot?

ORAC
30th Sep 2016, 08:30
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/30/rodrigo-duterte-vows-to-kill-3-million-drug-addicts-and-likens-himself-to-hitler

Stanwell
30th Sep 2016, 09:14
Going for 'Statesman of the Year', eh, Rodrigo?
That, together with his recent pronouncements regarding the US military alliance would seem to indicate ... (ahem).
But, then again, over recent years, that seems to be 'par for the course' in Philippine politics.
And .. he's going to tell China where to get off re its territorial ambitions.

Does his wife also have a nice shoe collection, I wonder?

Ancient Mariner
30th Sep 2016, 09:37
That's what you get when you elect movie stars, reality show hosts and "tough" guys while the electorate consists of downtrodden, poor people whose only hope is religion and/or that their next president will save them from all evil.
Good luck, again......and again........and......
Per

Hempy
30th Sep 2016, 14:44
I would have thought he was the JetBlast love child tbh.

larssnowpharter
30th Sep 2016, 15:02
I can claim to have had a beer and a chat with him.

He was the mayor of Davao City where I lived for many years and still have a house.

To understand where he is coming from you have to understand what Davao was like before his arrival: dealers were actively pushing drugs (crystal meth, mostly) outside the schools, gun law and the gangs were in control. Duterte was elected as mayor on a promise to clean the city up. He did. Were there casualties, yes. It has been alleged that he is behind the Davao Death Squad (DDS) which targets low lifes around the city.

Davao has grown and changed immensely in the last 10/15 years. You can now walk around the city safely and industry and tourism has expanded hugely.

He would often drive around the city at night to see what was going on. Kids out after curfew (10 pm) would be bollocked and their parents interviewed by an irate mayor.

He has declared a war on drugs in the whole nation. I wish him luck.

Lonewolf_50
30th Sep 2016, 15:09
I would have thought he was the JetBlast love child tbh. Have you sent him flowers, then? :E (Actually, I had to respond to strongly object to your using the term love child. := By reading those two words, I had a flash back to a grossly overplayed song from my youth (http://www.bing.com/search?q=love+child+diana+ross&src=IE-SearchBox&FORM=IENTTR&conversationid=). Now, I can't get it out of my head. :yuk: )

“Drug abuse is a serious issue. But what President Duterte said is not only profoundly inhumane, but it demonstrates an appalling disrespect for human life that is truly heartbreaking for the democratically elected leader of a great country.” Phil Robertson, Asia deputy director for Human Rights Watch, said it was baffling why anyone would want to compare themselves to “one of the largest mass murderers in human history.” “Does he want to be sent to the international criminal court? Because he’s working his way there,” he added. The chances that President Duterte would ever show up for the Kangaroo/IC Court is between slim and none. As to his Hitler self allusion: I think it's a signal that he really doesn't give a crap what foreigners think of him, to the point of being a deliberate troll just to wind people up. (Hempy, on that score you and he have something in common, though on the "kill 'em all" not).

Thoughtful moment: I wonder when the electorate will wake up and realize "uh, wait, we voted for this guy? OK, let's get prepped for the next election, we need a course correction ... "

Cynical response: in democracy, you tend to get the political leaders that you deserve (because you voted for them! Our local city council is a shining example of that sad truth ... )

bcgallacher
30th Sep 2016, 18:01
I am a Philippine resident - I love the place in spite of its faults. The problem is that the complete society is totally corrupt on a massive scale. The politicians,civil service,judiciary. police, military are corrupt at all levels so the ordinary people are clutching at the Duterte straw in the hope that he can change things. Long term I doubt he will make a difference as he can only serve one term,the same corrupt politicians are still there so nothing really will change. Murdering poverty stricken 'drug pushers' gives him lots of publicity but the real dealers are not being shot in the street as you will have noticed.

Lonewolf_50
30th Sep 2016, 20:38
bcg, is it your guess that a few of the higher echelon drug lords may have helped to finance his run for President? Politics has a lot of money stuff going on in most places ... and if he gets rid of a few rival gangs in a "public virtue campaign" they increase market share.
(Yeah, I know, very cynical view ....)

galaxy flyer
30th Sep 2016, 20:51
Oh great, another wacko in the Third World. The Philippines--the India of SE Asia. It actually might not be that good.

GF

bcgallacher
1st Oct 2016, 00:14
Lonewolf 50 - When it comes to political corruption in the Philippines nothing could be discounted. I spent most of my working life overseas - about the only place that compares to the Philippines would be Nigeria.Filipinos have a greed for money that is unique in my experience. Properly governed it would be an incredible country but the chances of that are nil.

G-CPTN
1st Oct 2016, 22:01
I suppose that all that he is doing is eliminating the courts (https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2016/sep/30/philippines-president-rodrigo-duterte-likens-himself-to-hitler-video).

radeng
1st Oct 2016, 23:19
It MAY be argued to be semi-acceptable if those killed were proven to be drug dealers: the problem comes when the reason for the murders are to secure criminal gang territory or to dispose of political opponents. Bearing in mind the apparent level of corruption in the Philippines, one has to question the whole idea behind his crusade, which could well be to dispose of any political opposition.....

Brian Abraham
2nd Oct 2016, 04:47
Filipinos have a greed for money that is unique in my experienceYou've not come across any western politicians then. ;)

Mr Optimistic
2nd Oct 2016, 07:30
Sounds just like Mexico.

bcgallacher
2nd Oct 2016, 07:49
Brian Abraham - when it comes to greed for money western politicians are amateurs compared to the Filipino counterparts - I have had Philippine connections for some 30 years so have some knowledge of how extreme the corruption is.

Stanwell
2nd Oct 2016, 08:31
Mr Optimistic,
Funny you should say that.

One thing they do have in common is that they both speak an Americanised pidgin sort of Spanish - native Espanolas have trouble understanding them.
Oh .. and the other thing they share is that nothing happens until the appropriate Honcho's palm has been well greased.
Their women are interesting, though.

Ancient Mariner
2nd Oct 2016, 08:56
Mr Optimistic,
Funny you should say that.

One thing they do have in common is that they both speak an Americanised pidgin sort of Spanish - native Espanolas have trouble understanding them.
Oh .. and the other thing they share is that nothing happens until the appropriate Honcho's palm has been well greased.
Their women are interesting, though.

Tagalog or Pilipino is hardly a "Americanized pidgin sort of Spanish", although it contains a few Spanish and English words.
I can agree on corruption, but why are the women "interesting"?
Per

Stanwell
2nd Oct 2016, 09:09
Per,
I was, of course, referring to Mr O's comment re the similarities between Mexico and the Philippines.

You'll notice that I deliberately chose the word 'interesting'.
Probably the best way to put it would be their practiced and persuasive use of every feminine charm and wile known to man
(as well as some that aren't) in order to gain both favour and access to one's bank account.

Mr Optimistic
2nd Oct 2016, 09:09
I read The Power of the Dog and thought it a good, if ridiculously violent and pessimistic yarn, until I did a bit of background reading on wiki and found out it was more or less true..... Worrying how society can go t+ts up so easily once oiled by extensive corruption.

Ancient Mariner
2nd Oct 2016, 09:24
Per,
You'll notice that I deliberately chose the word 'interesting'.
Probably the best way to put it would be their persuasive use of every feminine charm and wile known to man (plus some that aren't)
in order to gain both favour and access to one's bank account.
Based on a few friends' bitter experience I can agree to that definition.😆
Per

Fareastdriver
2nd Oct 2016, 10:53
What's so strange about Philippine women. It's South East Asia so why are they different?

Sallyann1234
2nd Oct 2016, 11:46
(as well as some that aren't)They're the really effective ones ;)