PDA

View Full Version : BA announce end of inclusive catering in short-haul economy

chrissw
30th Sep 2016, 06:46
This will probably come as no surprise:

British Airways Announce End of Inclusive Shorthaul Economy Class Catering. | The BA Source (http://www.thebasource.com/british-airways-announce-end-of-shorthaul-economy-inclusive-catering/)

No doubt they will market the ability to purchase food as an "enhancement."

HeartyMeatballs
30th Sep 2016, 13:14
I can imagine many point to point travellers will now be more open to trying a competitor unless LHR is an absolute must.

I do wonder when legroom is tight, you pay extra for a bag, you pay for food and free seat assignment is limited, at what point do you become a LCC?

Peter47
30th Sep 2016, 15:08
I recall that Swiss Int'l stopping free food and quickly reversing themselves.

Then again SAS stopped free food in Y and stuck to it.

I'm not sure that an inconsistent product is a good idea for transfer passengers, but then again anyone travelling onwards in the U.S. will be used to it.

chrissw
30th Sep 2016, 16:59
I think BA for Y-class intra-European travel has just made itself pointless. For the flights my family and I need, Ryanair, even using their "leisure plus" fare, have been significantly cheaper for some time.

FANS
30th Sep 2016, 18:43
So other than LHR, what's the difference between BA and EZY now?

Johnny F@rt Pants
30th Sep 2016, 19:15
So other than LHR, what's the difference between BA and EZY now?

Connectivity via OneWorld onto other destinations.

Metro man
1st Oct 2016, 08:00
To succeed an airline needs to be either a low cost or a full service. BA will be neither, Aer Lingus are in a similar position. Passengers won't pay full service fares for a low cost service but BA costs are too high to compete solely on price.

Malaysia Airline took alcohol out of business class on flights of less than 3 hours in a similarly less intelligent move.

PAXboy
1st Oct 2016, 12:08
BA are trying to be low cost down the back and premium up front. They might succeed, they might not - they have very little choice but to try. Numerous other carriers are in the same situation. There are no accurate predictions for the next ten years of airline life.

Basil
1st Oct 2016, 13:29
It's a disappointing decision although we recently flew BA CityFlyer from/to LCY and the food was a bit dire.
For anyone making a kneejerk move to a 'LoCo' check all the extras and gotchas very carefully lest they charge you the same or more than BA.

Metro man
2nd Oct 2016, 07:56
Next step is introducing "Last Class" on routes where they compete directly with the low cost airlines. No baggage allowance, no food, no ticket changes, no FF miles or seat reservations allowed in return for a dirt cheap fare.

HeartyMeatballs
2nd Oct 2016, 09:29
Im surprised it's all economy that is having inclusive catering removed. I was expecting a 'last class' but those with full or semi flexible tickets will get something. A bit like what germanwings, air Berlin and Brussels Airlines have. Or a Virgin Australia style system whereby you get what you're given for free but can buy something more substantial.

It's a little disappointing that on UK domestic we won't get anything at all. Even if we have paid a lot to be on a fully flexible ticket.

MarcK
2nd Oct 2016, 17:01
How would the cabin crew know which passenger had which class of ticket?

HeartyMeatballs
2nd Oct 2016, 17:43
Boarding cards or manifest or a divide are the only ways I know of. Other airlines do it so it must be possible. I remember EasyJet had a coupon printed for discounted drinks a while back. Perhaps those entitled to a freebie could have a coupon printed on their boarding card which could be scanned by the crew. I recall BMI used to give a free snack if you were a FF and it was a matter of showing the Diamond Club card.

PAXboy
2nd Oct 2016, 20:18
As I read the announcement, it means Y only. So the dividing line is really easy.

Harry Wayfarers
3rd Oct 2016, 00:45
I don't actually mind paying for food & drink so long as it's reflected in the fare and the airline cares to include some customer service:

I used to fly regularly with Austrian, they did reintroduce inclusive catering but it had been pay as you go, I didn't mind because rather than being dished up some piece of cr@p I could choose if I liked to have a pizza slice, a sandwich or whatever.

SAS has been mentioned, I'd had an early start and a long and tiring day before the flight back ARN/LHR, having not eaten all day I was hungry and being on company expenses helped as I ordered and tucked in to more than one of their seafood baguettes and low alcohol beers.

KLM withdrew alcohol from economy whilst they other side of the business class curtain there could be a party going on, they realised the error of their ways but when they did reintroduce beer the can had shrunk from 330ml to 250ml.

My local airline is a LoCo, generally I only fly one hour ish (or less) sectors with them, I actually look forward to buying one of their ham and cheese croissants with a beer and I'm disappointed on the occasions on the flights when they don't provide the trolley service.

In comparison I paid OTT for a recent two hour sector with Philippines Airlines (PAL Express) whereas there was supposedly a light snack included, their light snack consisted of a wedge of over sweetened and disgusting cake served with a plastic cup of room temperature water and that was the only catering they had on board ... I mean on their Q400 aircraft they don't even have the facility to heat water for a tea or coffee ... Give me the local LoCo any day!

As for BA, it's some ten years since I last flew with them, they cancelled my flight lying to me that it was due technical when I knew it was due commercial, they invol rerouted me with another carrier that had no UK representation and refused any assistance regarding my trashed suitcase, then AMS/LGW not only was my seat broken but we flew the (lumpy) sector with the gear down because the World's Favourite had overfuelled the damn thing ... Never again!

FANS
3rd Oct 2016, 05:26
On a positive, the ticket price will now reduce....

pax britanica
3rd Oct 2016, 11:09
perhaps you are being sarcastic FANS but if not them I doubt they will reduce ticket prices. Airline marketing people can find a way to demonstrate that the cost of a sandwich is insignificant compared to the cost of the fare.
Actually what i think will happen is a sectorisation of London pax . Live North or East STN or Luton, South Gatwick and West or central LHR.

Although BA are often but not always the costlier option there a £30 difference in cab fare from where I live to go to LGW not LHR and STN is pointless as its such a long way and virtually impossible to get to with any certainty about arrival time.

So looked at overall getting a sandwich or not isnt that high on the list of choices about who to fly with

ExXB
3rd Oct 2016, 12:58
Airline pricing has nothing to do with costs.

Airline executive bonuses have everything to do with revenues (not profits), and these days incremental revenues.

vctenderness
3rd Oct 2016, 13:22
When planning a journey there is always a process to reach the final decision.
First who flys to the destination. Second if more than one airline which has best reputation. Third schedule. Fourth, and probably most important, all up price.

So food and drink will come into fourth category. I wouldn't book a flight on the basis of a free snack but on an early morning flight with little time to spare I would be interested in a hot breakfast. Two gin and tonics will now cost £12 on BA and a sandwich £4.50 add a bag of crisps £1 so now for a couple flying nearly £40 extra.

Remember as well W/T longhaul flights are losing the second meal and next step will be saleable food mark my words.

HeartyMeatballs
3rd Oct 2016, 17:10
I wonder if the introduction of BOB alcohol will lead to an increase in disruptive behaviour as people allegedly tank up at the airport to avoid 'high' onboard prices.

Metro man
3rd Oct 2016, 19:12
The buy on board food makes the inflated airport food prices look reasonable in comparison. I'm assuming BA won't try to stop people bringing their own food onboard like certain low cost airlines do. Heathrow has a good selection of food outlets and those with lounge access can eat for free.

Most short haul flights simply need a sandwich/fruit/biscuits to make them bearable. Better airlines seem to do a meal and snack on flights over 5 hours. Singapore Airlines have free snacks laid out in the galley for passengers to help themselves.

https://www.gordonramsayrestaurants.com/plane-food/whats-on/picnic/

HeartyMeatballs
3rd Oct 2016, 19:26
I don't agree. The prices onboard are fairly reasonable. At our local airport it's £29 for a bottle of prosecco or £32 onboard for a full bottle of champagne.

Get a Burger King it's around £8 or a WHSmith meal deal is £6 ish. A hot meal, drink and snack around £6 onboard. £9 if you want it with a beer or wine.

I flew domestic and bought breakfast for four of us with drinks and snacks for around £20. Not bad.

A double gin and tonic £9 in the airport. £6.50 onboard. I've paid £10 for a double g and t in my small northern town where bar prices are a lot more sensible than many places.

I can't think of any airlines on short haul euro flights who do stop you bringing your own onboard so I can't envisage BA doing it.

Any Spanish airport prices are obscene for a bottle of water. I won't pay it. I'd rather wait and get one onboard. I saw a white chocolate kit Kat at AGP before they came to the UK. Oh how excited I was, until i saw the price tag of €2.50. Id rather starve.

Load Toad
4th Oct 2016, 04:45
Most short haul food is a waste of time bothering with anyway.
A decent drink however...

Metro man
4th Oct 2016, 06:10
Most airlines prohibit consumption of alcohol which isn't supplied by them, to keep things under control. It's nice to know European low costs don't have a problem with you bringing your own food as quite a few around here do. Drinks and yoghurt usually won't make it past security anywhere so if final screening is done at the gate you are out of luck.

Anyone who finds buy on board prices reasonable must be doing a lot of their food purchases at convenience stores or service stations. I buy from M&S or Waitrose food sections and look for stuff being sold cheap because it's close to the expiry date..

Harry Wayfarers
4th Oct 2016, 08:44
Anyone who finds buy on board prices reasonable must be doing a lot of their food purchases at convenience stores or service stations. I buy from M&S or Waitrose food sections and look for stuff being sold cheap because it's close to the expiry date.

A totally different scenario ... How much do a pack of 4 quarter pounders cost in the supermarket compared to how much they cost at an airport McDo's?

Dont Hang Up
4th Oct 2016, 10:53
So BA are throwing away their last remaining discriminator. Sad.

Also I note they will only accept payment for on-board food using contactless cards or something called Avios points (no idea what those are!).

So even in the unlikely event I wished to make an on-board purchase I would not have the means to do so.

PAXboy
4th Oct 2016, 11:51
After decades in IT, I can confirm: for payment, any device that accepts 'contactless cards' also accepts 'chip and pin cards'. Of course, there are some 'touch only' 'pads' but these are usually on public transport buses and so on. Any shop where I can use contactless in the UK, it offers Chip and Pin. Currently, many Chip/Pin devices do not take contactless.

There is an inevitability about this, and it's extension into long haul, for the simple fact that, over the last 30 years, 90% (+/-?) of pax have proved that they want to pay as little as possible. Further, that they WILL be drawn by the 'headline' seat price. Whether they then pay the full ticket price - does not matter. Their interest is always taken by that first price.

All shops have done this for as long as records show with the ridiculous £9.99 pricing scheme. It works.

BA will have LCC in Y and inclusive in the other cabins. I'm not saying I like it - but this is what the majority of people want.

Andy_S
4th Oct 2016, 13:51
I honestly couldn’t give a toss about complimentary catering on a flight of just a few hours. It’s nice to have, but not having it is hardly the end of the world. Would you get it on a train (standard class) or a coach? No. So it’s a bit odd to expect it as of right in the air.

Hotel Tango
4th Oct 2016, 14:38
Andy S, you're right of course, but for those of us even older pax it was par for the course to be fed and watered in days gone by. In the days of no IFE it helped pass the time I guess. I remember flying a BRU-LHR lunch time economy class service in a SABENA Convair 440 back in the late 60s. The seats were as luxurious as later Business Class seats and we were served a delicious 3-course lunch, course by course. Yes, flying was much more expensive but that was the style of travel we grew accustomed to. Over the years I have slowly surrendered to the present pay-as-you-go on-board catering and, considering fares paid now, find on board prices quite fair - at least with the LCCs I use most frequently. [This excludes RYR and EZY which I have never used and cannot comment on].

Andy_S
4th Oct 2016, 14:49
I think you hit the nail on the head. On board catering is something we’ve become so accustomed to that we start to feel entitled to it. Cue howls of outrage when it’s withdrawn. You can argue the toss about whether BOB prices are fair, but if you’ve paid £100 for a ticket then what’s another £10?

HeartyMeatballs
4th Oct 2016, 15:07
I usually fly EZ/FR/Vueling and must admit their onboard prices are not too bad. I've done a little research online and most euro carriers are OK in terms of pricing however Norwegian, WOW Air and Icelandair pricing is a little over the top. I couldn't see myself buying anything.

On WOW it's £7.50 for a cold sandwich, £4.80 for a tub of yoghurt and £6.90 for a glass of wine are a little excessive. WOW are very expensive charging £2.40 for a small chocolate bar, £2.80 for crisps but at £6.90 for a double g&t it's not too bad.

Norwegian longhaul are £7.80 for a cold sandwich, £2.50 for a fruit smoothie and £5.40 for a glass of wine. A g&t is £9.80 now thanks to the crash in the value of the pound.

Icelandair are £6.90 for a sandwich, £6.20 for a double g&t, £2.40 for a pot yoghurt and £5 for a glass of wine.

So I think BA's prices should be mean it's successful.

Dont Hang Up
4th Oct 2016, 15:22
I'm not saying I like it - but this is what the majority of people want.

I do not believe it is necessarily what the majority want. However it only takes 10% or 20% to be lured away by the LCCs for the legacy carries to see their margins squeezed and the headlong race to the bottom continues.

Ancient Observer
4th Oct 2016, 15:29
In my view, the charges for soft drinks on short haul are wrong. A bad business decision.
I bet they will be free in a few months time.

I try not to fly with BA due to some nasty lies and promises that were not kept some time ago. However, I am quite happy to fly with them if it is for my convenience.

When I do fly s/h with them, tomato juice and worcester sauce is all I drink. Neither are on the list of what will become available.

vctenderness
4th Oct 2016, 15:57
I don't buy this "why can't you go for a couple of hours without eating/drinking" business.

It all depends on where you have come from, wether you had time to eat at home/airport, time of day/night etc.

A traveller may have got up really early, driven in heavy traffic for some distance, found themselves having to rush through boarding and not able to stop for even a coffee.

Then knowing that a proper breakfast will be provided is a godsend.

PAXboy
4th Oct 2016, 19:48
As Hotel Tango says - it is what we are used to and anyone over (about) 30 was used to. However, in another 20/30 years people will find it incredible that so many things were included in the price.

and THAT is the moment when some bright young spark (not yet born) will have the idea of introducing inclusive catering and baggage. There is nothing new in this world. :p

Dont Hang Up
4th Oct 2016, 20:06
On WOW it's £7.50 for a cold sandwich, £4.80 for a tub of yoghurt and £6.90 for a glass of wine are a little excessive. WOW are very expensive charging £2.40 for a small chocolate bar, £2.80 for crisps but at £6.90 for a double g&t it's not too bad.

Norwegian longhaul are £7.80 for a cold sandwich, £2.50 for a fruit smoothie and £5.40 for a glass of wine. A g&t is £9.80 now thanks to the crash in the value of the pound.

Icelandair are £6.90 for a sandwich, £6.20 for a double g&t, £2.40 for a pot yoghurt and £5 for a glass of wine.

So I think BA's prices should be mean it's successful.

Not if Lufthansa continue to do it for free. :sad:

Hotel Tango
4th Oct 2016, 20:21
:ok: LOL, I was thinking exactly the same PAXboy Once the LCCs have reached rock bottom as far as fares go, how will they compete in the future? By slowly introducing goodies of course.

PAXboy
4th Oct 2016, 20:28
There were two examples today of how humans work:
1) I stopped to check the tyre pressures as I have a slow puncture I need to deal with but had to top it up. At garages (when I was a lad :ooh:) 'air' was free. Then they introduced a 10p charge and it went on up from there. I only needed to check one tyre but the cost was a MINIMUM of .50p and I had no choice.

2) Listening to Radio 4 a few minutes later, they were talking about how, in the referendum, the 'headline' figure of £350m a week to the EU was plastered everywhere. Even after it had been long debunked, it was the number that people remembered.

I'd say that about sums it up.

Harry Wayfarers
4th Oct 2016, 20:58
1) I stopped to check the tyre pressures as I have a slow puncture I need to deal with but had to top it up. At garages (when I was a lad http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/icon25.gif) 'air' was free. Then they introduced a 10p charge and it went on up from there. I only needed to check one tyre but the cost was a MINIMUM of .50p and I had no choice.

Buy a 12v portable mini air compressor for GBP6.44 off ebay as I did :)