View Full Version : Did you take the COMPASS test?

Pilot43
29th Sep 2016, 20:38
Hello everyone, did any of you take the COMPASS (computerized pilot aptitude screening system) test?
On the EPST website they only say that the math involved is "multiplication, division, subtraction as well as speed, distance and time calculations".
Is it really only about this, aren't more complicated math problems involved, including percentages and algebra and equations?
Is there any resource to learn more about this test?
Thank you all!

IEFCL
3rd Oct 2016, 02:13
Hi, I've taken it a couple of times during my initial cadet selection phase.
The math there is pretty straight forward, almost everything is as you have mentioned above. Nevertheless it does have some percentage, equation and a little bit of the basic algebra. Equations are linear, so they mostly will look like 2x+3/4=5. Algebravise you are going to have something like (2a+3b)/4c where are a=1 b=4 c=7. As you can see it's a pretty basic stuff. The thing is you will have about 25 tasks to solve for a limited amount of time. So I would strongly suggest to focus on your ability to do all these things as quickly as possible.
P.S. You can google latestpilotjob website, it has some useful stuff for preparation.
P.P.S. You can PM me if you still have some questions.

Pilot43
4th Oct 2016, 20:53
Hi IEFCL, thank you for your information, your answer is much appreciated.
The system doesn't allow me to PM you, could you please PM me and perhaps I can reply back?
May I ask you why you took the Compass test couple of times, more than once?
Were you allowed to use pen and paper for calculations?
Are the equations proposed directly with formulas or are they proposed as verbal problems to solve?
Thank you!

SeventhHeaven
6th Oct 2016, 17:22
I've only done the advanced compass test, but the only advice i'd give you is simple: don't worry about it. It's all very easy and straightforward - They are not looking for supermen! They just want a fairly balanced and rounded individual.

The maths is pretty simple: you get a formula, you work it out however you want to (yes you can use paper) and you write in the answer. Some are multiple choice, others are open. You're unlikely to finish the test because you will run out of time. It's all very, very basic, early high school level.

Really don't worry about it. You'll only stress yourself out. Don't bother preparing, you don't need it. Don't spend money to prepare. Honestly!

Pilot43
10th Oct 2016, 07:25
Thank you SeventhHeaven.
Are the equations proposed directly with formulas or are they proposed as verbal problems to solve?
Do you have to "fly through boxes" and similar skills like Pilapt or not?

SeventhHeaven
10th Oct 2016, 17:38
No verbal problems, just math equations. All pretty simple. If anything, the open questions are harder because I keep wondering if I might have made a rounding error :)

I did the advanced compass, so it might be different, but there is indeed a "follow the fight director" segment. Basically you're following the FD through a random path of climbs, turns, descends, etc etc, with the ball in the middle, while trying to maintain a certain speed. There was turbulence and unexpected airspeed drops you have to correct for. It only lasts a few minutes and you repeat this exercise a few times. You don't have to be perfect, it's bloody weird to do on a keyboard anyway! They just want to see some improvement every time.

Keep in mind, there is no "pass" or "fail" - you are graded compared to everybody that ever sat the compass test. The final scores just represent how you compare to other candidates. It just places you in a certain percentile, and the computer estimates what you might be weak at. Again, this is fine, they expect 3 to 4 improvement areas. It's normal. If you only have 1 or 2 you're golden!

If you're confident in yourself as a potential pilot, you have absolutely nothing to fear.

Pilot43
11th Oct 2016, 10:38
Thank you SeventhHeaven for the very useful information.

I guess the equations are all linear of did you get any quadratic? Any system of equations?

Also the speed/time/distance questions are related to uniform motion or did you also get questions related to uniformly accelerated motion?

What kind of physics did you find in the questions?

Thanks again for sharing!

SeventhHeaven
11th Oct 2016, 16:07
You are still expecting waay too much.

There are no quadratic equations, no square roots, no differential equations, nothing of the sort. Just very simple stuff like 1024 / 4.5, 5=4y+9x, or converting Celsius to Fahrenheit (they give you the formula even), or thinking of the next number in the series, basic percentages, etc. It is nothing fancy. A teenager would pass this with his eyes closed. It's "challenging" because you are time pressured; You probably won't finish. If you can do + - / * you're set :P

Same for the science --> there isn't any. No linear acceleration, no centrifugal force, no momentum. Nothing scientific whatsoever. Just plain old mental maths you do every day when you go grocery shopping!

Again, I did the "advanced" test. I doubt the normal COMPASS would be any different. I will say - whoever you're testing with, they can still give you other tests as well. Maybe they will ask you basic physics, or maths that might make a teenager take out a calculator :P It's just not part of the COMPASS formula, so I can't help you with that! But even then, the ATPLs aren't scientific or mathematical either, so what could they really ask that would surprise you?

Don't worry about it mate. You'll be fine :) Best of luck and try to enjoy the day!

Pilot43
12th Oct 2016, 06:42
Thank you SeventhHeaven you're greatly appreciated!

As you said that you probablly won't finish for shortage of time, I was just wondering if the questions left with no answer will be accounted as fails or not.

In the first case is better to answer less questions but more accurately, in the second case it would be better to take as many shots as possible!

adamdxz777
28th Mar 2018, 08:46
You are still expecting waay too much.

There are no quadratic equations, no square roots, no differential equations, nothing of the sort. Just very simple stuff like 1024 / 4.5, 5=4y+9x, or converting Celsius to Fahrenheit (they give you the formula even), or thinking of the next number in the series, basic percentages, etc. It is nothing fancy. A teenager would pass this with his eyes closed. It's "challenging" because you are time pressured; You probably won't finish. If you can do + - / * you're set :P

Same for the science --> there isn't any. No linear acceleration, no centrifugal force, no momentum. Nothing scientific whatsoever. Just plain old mental maths you do every day when you go grocery shopping!

Again, I did the "advanced" test. I doubt the normal COMPASS would be any different. I will say - whoever you're testing with, they can still give you other tests as well. Maybe they will ask you basic physics, or maths that might make a teenager take out a calculator :P It's just not part of the COMPASS formula, so I can't help you with that! But even then, the ATPLs aren't scientific or mathematical either, so what could they really ask that would surprise you?

Don't worry about it mate. You'll be fine :) Best of luck and try to enjoy the day!

This info is really good. Thanks buddy. I am using the COMPASS test on LatestPilotJobs.com.. I am only finding the short term memory a bit difficult to memories all 4 values. Is Advance Flight Control also part of the COMPASS ? and what about Aviation English? I have attached 2 screen shots. Please help me.
Thanks

rudestuff
28th Mar 2018, 22:39
No. .

aerodestination
29th Mar 2018, 10:09
COMPASS and Advanced COMPASS are almost identical with two differences:

- flight director aptitutde test instead of basic aptitude test
- 10 simple ATPL questions instead of 10 physics questions

parkfell
29th Mar 2018, 11:38
Aptitude testing only proves one thing conclusively, and that is you are capable or not capable of passing aptitude tests.
As so many have now been compromised by various "copy cat" versions, I am surprised that they are still used in their present versions.

As a well prepared candidate will have practiced on the appropriate copy cat versions, nothing less than 95% should be achieved. Their credibility is now deeply flawed.

If a potential junior birdman aspires to become an aviator, then take yourself off to a gliding or flying club, get yourself airborne.

A competent instructor will know after say 5 hours whether you have what it takes. Setting the known attitude and TRIMMING accurately is one of the acid tests.

adamdxz777
1st Apr 2018, 14:42
No. .

@rudestuff,
Could you please be a little specific. Thanks in advance.

rudestuff
1st Apr 2018, 15:59
Certainly:

No, I did not take the Compass test.

Banana Joe
1st Apr 2018, 17:08
I did take the Advanced Compass test and did not pass it. I admit I did not know what it really comprised of but apparently my training without any failures and good remarks from all my instructors, from PPL to ME-IR have become useless and passing these battery of computer games is more important. Especially after I passed the technical questionnaire.

Little preparation and my results improved quite a lot.

And good the market is good now!

Harryhawk1
7th Apr 2018, 13:44
Hi,
I am taking my compass test for a flight school in the coming month. I understand that one aspect of the test is a Physics exam, does anyone know how advanced this Physics test is?
Many thanks

africanflyer747
8th Apr 2018, 00:26
Yes I took it, will post feedback

Harryhawk1
8th Apr 2018, 09:45
Thank you would be much appreciated

emgie
11th Apr 2018, 08:13
Harryhawk1, it's pretty basic stuff. On my test I had questions about kinematics, basic electricity, torques, densities... It was pretty easy, general knowledge. You should be fine if you didn't take much days off at school ;)

Harryhawk1
12th Apr 2018, 09:26
Thanks very much for the reply, its must appreciated.
:)

flyerkubus
29th Apr 2018, 17:19
Hi,
I am taking my compass test for a flight school in the coming month. I understand that one aspect of the test is a Physics exam, does anyone know how advanced this Physics test is?
Many thanks

Hi. Harryhawk1 Have you taken your test yet? I have got mine in few days, therefore, could you share your experience? I am using latestpilotjob and skytest (middle east). I've noticed some here mentioned physics some say there isn't any. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also for what school you are applying to (myself for wizz cadet program) Thanks!

adamdxz777
21st May 2018, 15:13
Greetings,
I am going to answer the COMPASS test for Baltic Aviation Academy.
I am travelling across the continent to answer this test so I want to prepare my best for it.
Please tell me what all test are there to pass in COMPASS and a brief description of each test.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards.

Banana Joe
21st May 2018, 15:25
I don't know if each battery of COMPASS test is the same but I can tell you what I know.

The first test was a hand-eye coordination exercise. You have to keep the flight director centred with a joystick and the ball centred with the rudder. You also have to control speed with arrow keys and you will experience speed fluctuations due to gust. The handling will not resemble a real aircraft, at all. I reckon the aim of the exercise is to measure your reaction time and coordination.
The second test was a maths test, basic topics. I do not remember if there were also trigonometric functions, but there were questions about fractions, percentages and questions about distance, speed and time. Review operations with fractions, percentages and basic geometry formulas.
The third test was a short memory test. You are given altitude, heading, speed, and frequency. They will disappear and you have to input them. Not all four the items at the same time, but again, it depends on the test and it might well be you might get all 4 of them together.
The fourth test was very similar to the previous one in terms of user interface, but here the information will not disappear. However, you will have some lights turning on and you have to press the related button on the keypad. This might be different.
The fifth test was a spatial orientation test. You are given directional gyro, attitude indicator and relative bearing to a beacon, and you have to choose between the aircraft given. Be careful, look at all the instruments.

After this, I had to answer more than 200 psychological answers.

zac2711
6th Aug 2018, 11:36
Greetings,
I am going to answer the COMPASS test for Baltic Aviation Academy.
I am travelling across the continent to answer this test so I want to prepare my best for it.
Please tell me what all test are there to pass in COMPASS and a brief description of each test.

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards.

Hi there, how did the BAA compass test go for you? i am also applying for an enrolment there, if there is any advice on what to expect for the compass test and the level of maths it will be highly appreciated

Banana Joe
6th Aug 2018, 18:36
Update.

I have recently undertaken psychometric tests for a well-known operator in Europe after I failed the Advanced Compass test in December for another airline. This one was harder and I passed it. The psychological assessment was even more detailed than just a 5-minute talk with a young blonde, attractive aviation psychologist. SkyTest is all you need. These batteries of tests are pretty much useless in my opinion if all you need is to practice a little bit. And I thought they were supposed to determine who is cut for the job or not.

That's the assessors' job and they do it better.

zac2711
7th Aug 2018, 06:20
Update.

I have recently undertaken psychometric tests for a well-known operator in Europe after I failed the Advanced Compass test in December for another airline. This one was harder and I passed it. The psychological assessment was even more detailed than just a 5-minute talk with a young blonde, attractive aviation psychologist. SkyTest is all you need. These batteries of tests are pretty much useless in my opinion if all you need is to practice a little bit. And I thought they were supposed to determine who is cut for the job or not.

That's the assessors' job and they do it better.

Hello mate,

Cheers for providing and sharing useful information with regards to the tests. You mentioned you did an advanced compass test, can you elaborate which aspects or modules in particular had made this test significantly more difficult or advanced? Im currently practicing the compass test and i am aware of skytest reputation, however, do you have any opinion regarding pilotaptitudetest.com or latestpilotjobs. With regards to the psychological assessment, am i correct to say that there is no right or wrong answers or is there more of a preference for a certain personality.

cheers,

Banana Joe
7th Aug 2018, 22:52
I tried pilotpatitutetest.com and SkyTest and the latter is much better. And to make it better, you only pay for it once. I failed the Advanced Compass test in December, I don't know the name of the battery test I passed 2 weeks ago.

As for the psychological assessment, I think you should imagine yourself in a flight deck environment and think about what you think is best in such an environment: assertiveness, dedication, commitment, team-work, being open to others' opinions, speak up when you deem it necessary, but also be the type of guy you would buy a drink to.

Of course, if you really aren't any of that the assessors will find out at some point. I had an interview with the psychologist for more than 1 hour, she probably wrote her notes on 10+ pages and a couple of weeks later I received a copy of the very detailed report that was sent to the airline for the final decision.

zac2711
8th Aug 2018, 13:36
I tried pilotpatitutetest.com and SkyTest and the latter is much better. And to make it better, you only pay for it once. I failed the Advanced Compass test in December, I don't know the name of the battery test I passed 2 weeks ago.

As for the psychological assessment, I think you should imagine yourself in a flight deck environment and think about what you think is best in such an environment: assertiveness, dedication, commitment, team-work, being open to others' opinions, speak up when you deem it necessary, but also be the type of guy you would buy a drink to.

Of course, if you really aren't any of that the assessors will find out at some point. I had an interview with the psychologist for more than 1 hour, she probably wrote her notes on 10+ pages and a couple of weeks later I received a copy of the very detailed report that was sent to the airline for the final decision.

Cheers for the reply mate,
Im heavily considering to purchase the Skytest software however it requires a given USB keytab for some of the batteries, hence would be problematic since i do not live in the UK and my assessment test for my chosen flight school is in a month's time. I will be applying to BAA training so i doubt i will have to deal with an interview with a psychologist, that being said, i do have a profile test to do via. a multiple-choice test and then a final interview (whom i would guess are the assessors). But will definitely try my best to be more inclined towards the personality traits you've mentioned earlier without steering to far from the truth.

Again thank you for the kind advice given,

KNZ
12th Sep 2018, 16:05
Hello,
I'm new to this forum and I recently finished flight school. Next month I will be applying for a well-known operator who also uses the Advanced COMPASS test in the selection procedure. As a preparation I'm looking to purchase one of either PilotAptitude test, SkyTest or Latest Pilot Job test. Does anyone of you have experience with these tests? And if yes, what are your opinions on them? Was there anything missing? Were the tests current or outdated? Did you feel like it prepared you well enough for the Advanced COMPASS test?
Thanks in advance for your replies!

Banana Joe
13th Sep 2018, 11:11
I like SkyTest, also because it's a one-time payment and not subscription based. However, you need to carefully see which one you will have to buy. I think the Middle East and UK ones have Advanced COMPASS tests.

silke20
10th Jan 2020, 16:14
Hello everyone, did any of you take the COMPASS (computerized pilot aptitude screening system) test?
On the EPST website they only say that the math involved is "multiplication, division, subtraction as well as speed, distance and time calculations".
Is it really only about this, aren't more complicated math problems involved, including percentages and algebra and equations?
Is there any resource to learn more about this test?
Thank you all!

Hi! So have you done it? How was it? I have 4 more weeks before the test. Could you give me any advice? Im a bit afraid of Physics...Thanks again!!

BeyonceWheels
11th Jan 2020, 23:24
is this similar to the mollymawk?

Gilli93
19th Feb 2020, 12:54
How did it go mate ?
i have heard they changed it to Cut-e testing now. Anyone done it ?

Fly.b737
23rd Oct 2022, 17:34
Hi all,
This is an old post, but I thought I reply here.
There are some more topics on the Advanced Compass test.

Does anyone maybe have some tips or tricks for the memory test?
During the memory test we see 4 diffirent value's in a random order
- alitude 36.500
- Speed 480
- Heading 265
- Radio 127.125

We see these value's like 5 seconds and then you have 15 seconds I think to enter these values.
I can remember 2 easily.
To remember 3 is doable.
But to remember 4 I am quite struggeling.

Does anyone have some tips for this?

Thnx!!