PDA

View Full Version : Simple Lighting solution needed

SpringHeeledJack
29th Sep 2016, 13:04
So, under stairs cupboard needing a simple decent light solution that isn't hardwired (switch and lightbulb). I tried a battery light that didn't remotely provide enough light, so decided upon a plug-in extension type of solution, but despite google searches and the usual online suspects, there doesn't seem to be much on offer…..Any suggestions ? LED probably better than fluorescent I'd imagine.

G-CPTN
29th Sep 2016, 13:26
Very bright LED lamps are available which have low consumption.
Rechargeable versions are also available (utility companies now use these for night-time excavations) - though smaller domestic versions exist.
I have one which is 'wind-up' so there is no concern about being available when needed (though it is free-standing rather than fixed).

KenV
29th Sep 2016, 13:53
Google "LED remote light" or "LED battery closet light" and you will get hundreds of possibilities. Check the rated lumens to determine if the light is bright enough for your needs. As a baseline a 60watt incandescent bulb in the US produces around 850 lumens. I would guess that around 450 lumens would do the job for you.

dazdaz1
29th Sep 2016, 15:03
SHJack, I'm curious why you need a light in your under stairs cupboard, I dread to think your intentions might be to rent the space to asylum seekers for vast amounts of wonga per week.

If not, try a torch.

PDR1
29th Sep 2016, 15:32
Maybe he's become responsible for an unloved nephew who has pretensions to wizardry...

PDR

sitigeltfel
29th Sep 2016, 16:27
Have a look at the OMLOPP/UTRUSTA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/25006/) lights from IKEA. They are meant for kitchens but can be used elsewhere.

VP959
29th Sep 2016, 17:03
I had a similar problem and tried a couple of the battery powered lights, but was very underwhelmed by their performance. In the end I bit the bullet and ran a lighting mains cable to the under stairs cupboard, connected from the ground floor lighting ring main, which was awkward to get to, but just about do-able by using a connection from the nearby hall light.

I fitted a PIR activated switch, fitted into a metal adaptable box, and fitted a 12V power supply inside the same box. I then used a length of self-adhesive LED strip light stuck along the whole diagonal length of the cupboard, above the access door. This works very well, as it provides light right down to the very lowest corner, and doesn't glare as it's behind you as you poke your head in the cupboard.

Using a PIR switch means there's no light switch needed; the light turns on as soon you open the door, as the sensor is right above the door. It also means you can leave the light on accidentally, as it turns off after a few minutes without detecting any motion.

SpringHeeledJack
29th Sep 2016, 19:08
Thanks for the helpful replies. Due to logistics (and cost) the easiest solution would be a plug in strip light, as there's a socket within the cupboard. Perhaps there's a workman's portable light that would fit the bill, it doesn't have to be beautiful. Motion sensing would also be an advantage.

KenV
29th Sep 2016, 19:29
If you want a plug-in motion sensing light, you might try this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3XQPS8?psc=1

This one is US compliant. There may be a version with a UK compliant plug.

IFMU
29th Sep 2016, 19:33
I put one of these in a friend's hangar. The people door is in the middle of the hangar door and you have to walk in the dark to get to the main switch.
https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/light-switches-dimmers-outlets/wireless-controls/ge-wireless-remote-wall-switch-light-control/p-1444436322977-c-12683.htm?tid=2450323837688565719

I got an LED bulb and a plug in bulb socket. Works great.

I suspect Menards is not over there but seems like you could find something similar.

BlankBox
29th Sep 2016, 19:39
...they make motion sensing night lights...for young/old folk afraid of the dark...cheap too.. :ok:

chevvron
29th Sep 2016, 21:46
I got a small LED light from Homebase recently which had a magnetic switch which turns it on when you open the door and turns it off when you close it.
Meant for cupboards so not powerful enough for under stairs I suspect but it shows that devices are around.

ExSp33db1rd
30th Sep 2016, 00:30
I had the same problem with our back door immediately above a couple of steps, at the bottom of which is the mains powered, switched, outside light, therefore one frequently fell down the pitch black stairs whilst reaching for the switch.

A smaall battery operated, motion sensor stick on light placed on the wall facing the door fixed that problem, as soon as the opening door is sensed, the light comes on.

'course - one will not know that the battery needs replacing until one night .....