PDA

View Full Version : Stanley Stewarts "The Big Jets"

Autofly
23rd Nov 2001, 16:46
Can anyone recommend Stanley Stewarts book " The Big Jets" and has anyone any idea if or when the new release is due. Any pointers???

Cheers
AF

redsnail
23rd Nov 2001, 17:34
I haven't read the book by Stanley Stewart. I believe it's a good read but a bit generalist. I have Handling the Big Jets and that is a very technical book with a lot of useful tips etc for flying big err jets.
From what I can gather, the two books are aimed at different markets.

AJ
23rd Nov 2001, 17:46
Yes I can recommend the book.

It is equivalent to Stephen Hawking's 'Universe in a nutshell"-ie. stripping down the subject to the very basics, thereby allowing Joe Bloggs accessibility to the main themes.

As redsnail said, a generalist but nevertheless enjoyable 'introductory' book.

Regards

BravoOne
23rd Nov 2001, 18:24
Hi All,

I have both and recommend that you read Flying the Big jets before reading 'Handling the Big Jets'.

As was stated before 'Flying' is based on the aviation enthusiast who enjoys flying and visiting the cockpit and wants to know more about the workings from airside to touchdown at their destination, whereas 'Handling' entails a little more intricate detail that would best suit a pre-cpl student.

Regards,
B1

hasell
23rd Nov 2001, 18:32
Hey Autofly,
I can recommend another one of Stanley Stewart's books:-
"Crisis on the FlightDeck"
a good "general" read...

redsnail
23rd Nov 2001, 20:17
Yes, Crisis on the flight deck is a great book too. A very good read for CRM study.
If you like that style of thing, have a look at the series done by Macarthur Job. He used to be the Australian Safety Digest editor. Some don't like his style but the detail he goes into is first class.

Autofly
23rd Nov 2001, 23:38
Cheers for that. As i'm a PPL looking to do a CPL (god knows when that'll be) "Handling" it is then.

Thanks

Auto

PS - Hasell, how's it going??? Are you going to the bash/seminars again? May see you there.

Autofly
23rd Nov 2001, 23:43
Ok ...... next question. Does anyone know where you can get hold of Handling the Big Jets????? Amazon only have "Flying".

AF

BravoOne
23rd Nov 2001, 23:57
Yes,

Transair have it advertised in their catalogue. www.transair.co.uk (http://www.transair.co.uk) (and No I don't work for them!)

Don't know how many copies they have in stock but I do know that the book had to goto re-print and would not be available until after the 21/11/2001. But hey, it's now 23/11/2001 so you should be OK. :) :)

[ 23 November 2001: Message edited by: BravoOne ]

basil fawlty
23rd Nov 2001, 23:59
"Handling the Big jets" by DP Davies, a very, very dated book now.
"Flying the Big Jets" by Stan Stewart, obviously aimed more at the mass market casual interest sector rather than aspiring professional pilots. (More sales = more profits! ) :D Stan- a really nice guy met him in Toronto one night about 8 years back, beer and peanuts in Armadillo's- a happy memory! :)

Autofly
25th Nov 2001, 16:25
Ok .... i'm confused. :confused: "Flying the Big Jets" is by Stanley Stewart - I got that bit but is "Handling the Big Jets" by Stan too???? BravoOne - went on the Transiar site and their "Handling" book is by the International Federation of Airline Pilots Association. Is this the right book that everyone raves about? Can someone clarify this. The last thing I want is to get hold of the wrong one. :eek:

Cheers again

AF

[ 25 November 2001: Message edited by: Autofly ]

Bellerophon
26th Nov 2001, 04:31
Autofly

To avoid any confusion:

Handling the Big Jets
ISBN 0 903083 01 9
By D.P.Davies, at that time the UK ARB (now CAA) Chief Test Pilot

"An explanation of the significant differences in flying qualities between jet transport aeroplanes and piston engined transport aeroplanes."

The author was awarded the US Flight Safety Foundation’s Publication Award in 1971 for this book.

Flying the Big Jets
ISBN 0 906393 69 8
by Stanley Stewart, a BA Captain

"Presents the facts that people want to know about the world of jumbos...chapter by chapter the reader is taken gently through the basics of the big jets, in preparation for the pilot’s seat on an actual flight from London to New York."

I have copies of both books on my bookshelf. Both are very readable, by pilots of whatever experience, but they are very different books, as mentioned above.

I don’t know if Stan Stewart is bringing out another release of his book, but I rather doubt that there will be another edition of D.P.Davies’ book. It would be a brave pilot who attempted to update a classic!

I know the current CAA Chief Test Pilot was asked if he would consider this task and declined!

hasell
26th Nov 2001, 19:47
Hey AutoFly!!!
Hows it going with you mate??? I'm doin ok doin Nav/Solo work towards that PPL. So you working towards staring tht CPL huh?
Sorry mate, but I can't make it too the bash.Maybe I'll catch up with you at a future one.

Regards.
H.

Autofly
26th Nov 2001, 22:22
Cheers for the info Bellerophon - so the Handling book it 1971!!! Is it really still current? Is it worth holding out for the next issue and is the revamped version the International Federation of Airline Pilots Association edition? I can't really be bothered to buy Flying the Big Jets - i'm one of those people that loves all the detail :rolleyes: Cheers for al the help. If anyone else has any other info ...... new editions etc. etc. let me know

Hasell, like alot of others, its all on hold at the moment. :( I'll probably see you at the next bash. Good luck with the PPL!

Auto

[ 26 November 2001: Message edited by: Autofly ]

Big Bad Dom
27th Nov 2001, 19:55
I heard somewhere or other that there is indeed a new edition of 'Flying' due out soon, this time based on the 777. Not sure exactly when.