PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a someone who knows about flying near volcanoes in SEA

saraschonhardt
29th Sep 2016, 01:43
Hi there,
I'm trying to learn more about how volcanic ash impacts aviation and would like to speak with someone who has flown near it.

Or whose plane has been grounded by an eruption or and ATC who has experience working when alerts go out about eruption.

Hoping to get a bit more background.
Many thanks,
Sara

Coochycool
3rd Oct 2016, 22:23
I imagine you're aware of the incident involving British Airways flight 009 in 1982? Story available in the book "All Four Engines Have Failed" by Betty Tootell.

A title Which rather gives away just what effect volcanic ash can have!

Regards

Cooch

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Oct 2016, 09:24
Yep, Eric Moody is your man.

saraschonhardt
5th Oct 2016, 07:36
I was rather hoping for someone who has a more recent experience. Doesn't haven't to be a near crash. Perhaps someone who was grounded during the closures in Iceland in 2010. Or a pilot impacted when eruptions shut down Bali airport for most of July last year.

Thanks.

NutLoose
5th Oct 2016, 11:36
Service Instruction No. 1530 | lycoming.com (http://www.lycoming.com/content/service-instruction-no-1530)

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=6464

lomapaseo
5th Oct 2016, 12:51
I was rather hoping for someone who has a more recent experience. Doesn't haven't to be a near crash. Perhaps someone who was grounded during the closures in Iceland in 2010. Or a pilot impacted when eruptions shut down Bali airport for most of July last year.

I was stuck in a Holiday Inn once in Guatemala in Jan this year when my flight was canceled because of Volcanic ash concerns

wiggy
6th Oct 2016, 08:48
sara..

I think you need to be much more specific in what you are asking for.

Like others here I've flown plenty of sectors where we've taken circuitous routes because of predictions of volcanic ash (Italy, Iceland, Asia) , and FWIW I was grounded (i.e. stuck at home) in Europe during the "Icelandic closures" so I cut the lawn and enjoyed the sunshine....... none of the above made the papers or was particulary exciting.

saraschonhardt
11th Oct 2016, 11:24
Hi Wiggy,
Thanks for your message. Despite thinking none of your experiences was very exciting, they are exactly what I want to hear about. I'm writing about the impact volcanic eruptions have on air travel and am keen to hear firsthand what happens to pilots when they have some type of encounter. Do they have to re-route or change course? What is it like to be grounded (even if it just means more time to cut the lawn)? How often does it happen? If you're willing, I'd be keen to speak with you. Please let me know if you'd be OK with that. Many thanks, Sara