PDA

View Full Version : Coeliac obtaining a Class 1 Medical?

alwayzinit
26th Sep 2016, 13:27
Hi
My son, as it turns out may be a coeliac, poor fella.

Can any of our medical ppruners give us any indication if this will prohibit him from getting a Class 1 Medical?

It hasn't been confirmed yet we are just gathering info for possible fallout.

Thanks, from a concerned Dad!:uhoh:

gingernut
26th Sep 2016, 16:10
It's important that he get's a definitive diagnosis (by serological testing), of coeliac disease, rather than just a sensitivity to gluten. (there is a big difference)

alwayzinit
26th Sep 2016, 18:54
Thanks GN!
Being a bear of very little brain can you give the skinny one way or 'ther bad vs better etc?

gingernut
27th Sep 2016, 19:24
Being a bear of very little brain can you give the skinny one way or 'ther bad vs better etc?

sorry mate, don't understand?

Pace
28th Sep 2016, 10:46
Ginger Nut

(pronounced ‘see-liac’), a serious illness where the body’s immune system attacks its own tissues when gluten is eaten. This causes damage to the lining of the gut and means that the body cannot properly absorb nutrients from food. It is not an allergy or food intolerance. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, barley and rye. Some people may also be sensitive to oats

Don't know much about it but they do look very similar? Maybe Coeliac is when the damage is done and Gluten is the cause ?
Think he wants a yes no on the likelihood of passing a class one if diagnosed with the condition

Loose rivets
28th Sep 2016, 10:46
I had the camera down the gullet to get a snip of me gut. After years of assuming I 'was Coeliac'. It turned out I wasn't.

However, I don't eat bread or any wheat product and avoid gluten as it seems one can still be gluten intolerant.

I was in my 40's when I first notices an intermittent feeling of general 'unwellness' when I ate my favourite brown bread. It seemed to go away for ages, then came back again late 50's.

In my 60's in the US, I really got messed up if I ate the wrong things. 100 years old and sitting around aching. Don't cheat and in a few days I was up trees with a chainsaw, digging irrigation ditches, hauling brush, etc., etc.

I never quite knew, still don't, just what process is going on (maybe gingernut will elucidate on the difference) but when we were on the last days of clearing our US house, our lovely neighbours made us dinner. They were Hispanic and the food was off-the-scale, lovely. I was wrecked for two days and refused to sell my recliner until the day we left. Now I don't cheat. 'Oh, that'll be okay. A little bit of that won't hurt.' Yes it b:mad:y will!

Back pain. Years of it until a local person told me about her brother. He was so bad he'd lie down on client's beds if they were out while he was measuring up. Thought it was a 'bad back'. When he was diagnose Coeliac, the back pain went away. My back surgeon said that was not at all surprising.

blue up
29th Sep 2016, 12:27
No Class 1 restriction in the UK that I'm aware of. Current suggestion from employer is to give a copy of roster to Caterers each month to ensure something suitable loaded for each flight. 1 Coeliac and 1 Gluten Intolerant at my base.

gingernut
30th Sep 2016, 06:48
It's quite trendy to avoid gluten. Some patients state that they feel less tired, less bloated etc when they do avoid gluten. This, however, isn't strictly a medical problem. So doesn't have to be medicalised. Interestingly, some patients are actually quite disappointed when they receive a negative coeliac test.

Coeliac, is however, a disease.

Innominate
30th Sep 2016, 07:54
Yes, avoiding gluten is trendy, but some people - while not coeliac - are affected by gluten. My wife is both gluten- and lactose-intolerant; either will cause wind and/or diarrhoea, so you wouldn't want to share a cockpit with her!

gingernut
30th Sep 2016, 12:47
Good luck to her. The point I'm trying to get across is that you have to be careful not to medicaluse things, 'specially if you are trying to become a pilot.