PDA

View Full Version : BTEC Or A-levels

Piper Warrior Pilot
3rd Jul 2002, 15:15
Would BTEC Aeronautical Engineering be better to do than A-level Physics in order to persue a career as a pilot

Curiosity killed the cat

IanBowden
4th Jul 2002, 18:36
Hiya personally I did the A Level route (awaiting results as we speak) in Physics, Geography and Biology. The theme being dont put all your eggs in one basket and have nothing to fall back on if Aviation fails you, which we all have to accept it may, although I hope it doesn't.

Do subjects you are good at and enjoy rather than aim them at aviation, as if u fail them 'cos you can't do them, they're no good, if you pass the subjects you are good at, in my opinion would look better for you!

Good luck,

Ian
NCL

Pilot16
5th Jul 2002, 10:32
I understand from one of your previous post that your GCSE maths predicted grade is D, I dont think you can do Physics A Level with a D, the minimum requirement is a B in maths for A Level Physics.

Anyway, BTEC aeronautical engineering sounds cool although I would advise you to follow what IanBowden said

regards.

Lucifer
5th Jul 2002, 14:35
You do not need either Physics or Maths for A-Level. Don't waste your time doing something that you are not good at, whatever the qualification. It has been said that all you need for RAF for example is a degree in basket weaving. Though stretching the point, do what you are good at - differentiation is not a prerequisite for a cockpit (but good basic mental arithmetic helps, so get a good GCSE).

LaurieIain
5th Jul 2002, 17:58
Hey

I personally did a Btech in Aerospace engineering and just finished my BEng in aerospace. Do it! It's a right laugh and i'm finding ATPL TECH really easy!

Don't be afraid to go against the grain. A Level's aren't for everyone. If you struggle at maths (i know i did) the Btec breaks you in easy.

Good Luck!