PDA

View Full Version : SLF is looking for a smoother way of air travel

sprocky_ger
24th Sep 2016, 21:12
I travel a lot by air. I assume that 80 to 100 take-offs and landings per year are kinda lot :}

During the past years I noticed things that annoy me. You might call me a picky person but, hey, this is Jet Blast :8 And not all of the statements below are to be taken seriously:)

1. Reaching the baggage drop counter. If you are not a priority guest please do not go to the priority counter.
2. If you are not a Fast Lane guest: even if you swipe your boarding pass 10 times - the door will not open for you. It is not a mistake of the system!
3. Do not argue with the security staff if you carry liquids. Yes, behind the security checks they will rip you off if you buy a bottle of water. But this is normal.
4. If you travel in a group: Please do not block the complete walk way! There are pax that would like to reach their flight without having to run over a wall of humans.
5. When the crew is calling to board the aircraft: sometimes they ask for disabled people, people traveling with small kids, First Class pax and frequent travelers first. If you do not belong to those please do not block the way to the aircraft (BTW: even if I am asked to board at any time I wait for every family to board before I do).
6. When you are the first in the seating row to take your seat please do not block the aisle. You can move your sweet body between the seats of the rows and you'll be still able to shove your cabin luggage into the overhead compartments.
7. Especially on flights on no-LCC: please consider that there are other pax that would like to store there small bag above their head instead of under the seat in front of them. Some people seem to think that they can take 10 bags into the cabin.
8. After taking your seat and the announcement "Boarding completed" please do not ignore the safety announcements. If you travel a lot: At least check out where the exits are located.
9. The cabin crew is not a bunch of slaves. They have a job that they - usually - are being proud of. Please treat them with respect.
10. Clapping hands after touch down is rarely heard by pilots. However, when you leave the aircraft and they are near the exit they appreciate a "thank you for the smooth flight" and a "have a nice day/weekend".
11. Approaching the baggage belt I noticed many times that the crowd is blocking the access completely. Sometimes it is hard to grab your luggage because the pax do not let you through.

Did you make similar experiences? What else is annoying you when traveling by air? Or: am I just an ignorant person?

PS: English is not my mother tongue. It may be that I did not use the perfect words and there is room for misunderstanding. Well, Americans and Australians will understand me as they do not speak English as well - I heard :}

meadowrun
24th Sep 2016, 21:29
English is not my mother tongue. It may be that I did not use the perfect words and there is room for misunderstanding

It was very well written.

Nervous SLF
24th Sep 2016, 22:09
Quote "Well, Americans and Australians will understand me as they do not speak English as well - I heard" http://cdn.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

:D ^^ Many a true word is spoken in jest :):)

G-CPTN
24th Sep 2016, 22:19
During my overseas travels, I saw (I don't recall where) a sign on a shop window with several comments such as:-
Ici on parle Francais
Hier sprech man Deutsch
Parliamo Italiano

etc

We speak English
We also understand American

tezzer
24th Sep 2016, 22:38
Yup, most of my bugbears in there !

jimtherev
24th Sep 2016, 22:43
12. If you wish to have a conversation with a fellow-traveller, pse do so in the baggage hall or outside or anywhere that isn't 1 metre away from the bottom of an escalator or end of a walkway.
(your ankles will probably hurt after my carry-on clips them.)

cattletruck
25th Sep 2016, 11:13
14. If you don't go for a p!ss on a 10+ hr flight please don't book an isle seat.
15. Don't eat garlic before your flight.
16. Why does your carry on luggage need to be almost as big as my checked-in luggage?

Andy_S
25th Sep 2016, 11:49
17. If you purchase an Economy Class ticket, expect to travel Economy Class.
18. If there is a passenger in the seat next to you, please respect their space; do not extend your arms and legs beyond your own seat.
19. If you are travelling with young children, keep them under control. The aircraft cabin is not a playground and the back of my seat is there for my comfort, not for your kids to kick or climb on.
20. If your carry on luggage is sufficiently large, heavy or in sufficient quantities that it will take you several minutes to retrieve it from the overhead locker, please remain seated until less encumbered passengers have disembarked.

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Sep 2016, 11:54
11. Approaching the baggage belt I noticed many times that the crowd is blocking the access completely. Sometimes it is hard to grab your luggage because the pax do not let you through.
I can usually push through to get to the belt when I see my suitcase coming. Of course as I swing it off the belt it can sometimes be rather harder to stop it crashing into the people standing too close.

Hydromet
25th Sep 2016, 12:14
21. It's OK to talk to the passenger next to you - once, briefly. If they do not continue the conversation, take the hint.

Fareastdriver
25th Sep 2016, 12:35
After the aircraft docks remain in your seat until the cabin is virtually empty. The seat is far more comfortable than standing around in the baggage hall waiting for the carousel to start up.

Planet Basher
25th Sep 2016, 12:42
22. When you get to the bottom of an escalator and immediately stop to look around do not be surprised to be turfed out of the way by the 100 other passengers trapped behind you.

sprocky_ger
25th Sep 2016, 23:26
Thank you for your comments. I noticed that I missed some good advises :)

Some additions:
@cattletruck
"16. Why does your carry on luggage need to be almost as big as my checked-in luggage?"
On flights with Indian fellows I noticed that there carry on cases/trolleys/bags are not too big but they have plenty of them...

@Andy_S
"17. If you purchase an Economy Class ticket, expect to travel Economy Class.
19. If you are travelling with young children, keep them under control. The aircraft cabin is not a playground and the back of my seat is there for my comfort, not for your kids to kick or climb on."
I love those points!

@Fareastdriver
"After the aircraft docks remain in your seat until the cabin is virtually empty."
Landed in Mumbai coming from Pune on a Jet Airways flight some years back. The aircraft had just vacated the runway when people left their seats and opened the overhead compartments...

@Planet Basher
"22. When you get to the bottom of an escalator and immediately stop to look around do not be surprised to be turfed out of the way by the 100 other passengers trapped behind you."
I experienced this so many times. Also very popular: some airports have a metro station. People leave the train and look immediately at the direction signs blocking the way for other passengers.

ehwatezedoing
26th Sep 2016, 10:12
23. Why... Why taking a window seat to shove its shutter down the whole flight!?

24. I have a window seat. If you seat behind me, don't put this shutter down.
You know, the one that invade only 5% of your space versus 95% of mine :mad:

Dont Hang Up
26th Sep 2016, 10:51

The ideal:
Everyone stands a metre back from the belt, allowing an optimum view of the belt to spot one's bag early. Then stepping forward as the bag comes by, one has plenty of elbow room to lift it clear.

The reality:
Stand one metre back from the belt. Some prat stands directly in front of you.:*

Jhieminga
26th Sep 2016, 14:18
The solution:
Sit down away from the belt, continue reading your book until the belt is (almost) empty. Pick up remaining suitcase, which happens to be yours.;)

Akrotiri71
26th Sep 2016, 14:46
25. Only place your carry-on luggage in the overhead bin above YOUR seat, or as close as possible. (I know this may not be possible if you're one of the last to board. This rant is aimed at those ignorant gits who board first).

onetrack
27th Sep 2016, 02:20
Sit down away from the belt, continue reading your book until the belt is (almost) empty. Pick up remaining suitcase, which happens to be yoursNot necessarily a good idea.
Did this once, only to find the remaining piece of luggage, which was almost identical to mine (a military-green holdall), wasn't mine!
It belonged to another person who had grabbed mine without checking the baggage tag!
Fortunately, it was a relatively-small country town in New South Wales and my mobile phone number was on the holdall - and the person who had picked up my holdall had apparently arrived home and realised his major error.
I got a call within about 15 mins, along with an apology, and the holdall was promptly returned, and a swap took place!

tu chan go
27th Sep 2016, 11:20
Some baggage carousels are fed from below by a conveyor belt - I stand well back where I can see this conveyor belt thus seeing my luggage about to arrive on the baggage carousel. This means I can (politely) push my way through all the ignorant, selfish [email protected] standing three inches away leaning over to see if their luggage is on its way.

FullOppositeRudder
27th Sep 2016, 11:58
A few years back I was on a connector flight from a middle eastern airport on to our intended European destination. I scored an aisle seat in the centre block of a B777. Two rows down from me on the other side of the aisle, a bloke was exercising his right to look at his choice of the 'entertainment' on offer. I couldn't help but see it - the full screen was visible - I couldn't avoid it.

Now I've always lead a fairly sheltered life, but this film / movie was absolutely packed with the most violent and gruesome scenarios I've ever seen. It just went from one blood and guts encounter to the next. Gruesome, ugly people doing the unthinkable to other people - blood spurting from severed parts of human bodies much of the time. I tried to bury my attention on some alternative form of entertainment from my own screen, but it sure wasn't easy. In short, there was nothing I could do about it - simply ignore it as best I could for the duration of the event. I'm pretty sure it actually got a repeat screening!

I emphasise that it was his choice to view whatever he wanted. It was therefore up to me to choose not to watch. But in the circumstances, that was all but impossible.

I rather hope that I'll not be subject to that kind of situation ever again :yuk:.

FOR

TLDNMCL
27th Sep 2016, 14:59
That'll be the same prat who will nip into your safe braking distance gap on the way home from the airport too...