PDA

View Full Version : United DC-8 trivia question and how I spent my summer vacation 1966

b1lanc
24th Sep 2016, 19:04
First flight on a jet was in June 1966 EWR to LAX (everything before had been United DC-6Bs). Very competitive route between United DC-8s and American 707s as they both departed at the same time for the same destination. Seated in 2A on the outbound flight.

Taxiing out, I remember the temp climbing and I started to sweat like crazy (unusually hot and humid for June that day). For some reason I distinctly recall watching a thermometer which looked much like the round home thermostat on the bulkhead in front of 1B climbing to over 100 and a 'stewardess' telling me I could take my jacket off and put in 2B since it was empty. I've never seen a cabin interior shot or any other aircraft with anything like that. The pilot did announce that the primary AC unit had failed prior to departure and he'd turned on the back-up assuring us once airborne we'd be comfy. Anyone with a way back machine recall whether there was an interior thermometer in first? The stewardess came back a number of times to look at it as I recall.

On arrival I had a 1940's vintage cloth/canvas suitcase which was absolutely drenched (as were all clothes inside) when it came out the carousel. Took 3 of us to pull it off and water everywhere (no liquids inside). Never found out how that happened but spent my first day in LA doing laundry.

Sidebar, became stuck in LA when the five airlines struck. American was the only one flying coast to coast and tickets were sold out for over a year in advance (trains too). American was adding 707's as fast as Seattle could send them down. My ride home was first revenue flight on a brand new 707 (no entertainment equipment installed, short of dishes and silverware, food, and catering carts). Don't know what strings my aunt pulled to get me a 1st class seat but another beautiful ride home in an amazingly short time.

Quite a first two flights on jet aircraft for me from the take-off angle, to in-flight movie (Blindfold), to in-air thrust reverse at altitude (on the DC-8) making it seem like we would just drop straight down looking out the window at the ground not moving after he applied the brakes.

FYI, round-trip 1st class airfare was $340 and change. What a great summer vacation - even a water take-off and landing in a Grumman Goose.

fleigle
25th Sep 2016, 02:33
My first flight on a pure jet was the day I emigrated to the US, flew LHR-Toronto, via Montreal in an Air Canada DC-8, Apr. 1968.
My last flight in a DC-8 was a United that had been re-engined with the CFM's?, SFO-PDX (Portland, Oregon), Oct. 1983, or 4.
There was fog at SFO, PDX and SEA, the flight was about 20% full, we sat on the ground at SFO for quite a while, ready to go whenever it looked like something was going to open up.
Eventually took off maybe 1-1/2 hrs. late, the crew kept us informed of the weather at both PDX and SEA as both were going in and out of minimums.
We went into a hold west of PDX and made an approach, then aborted, I was able to just see the ground looking down vertically just as we went around.
We did this once more, then on the 3rd. try a quick sidestep at about 50' got us on the ground, we were the only flight that landed that morning.
I'll leave my next hairiest landing story for another time..
f