PDA

View Full Version : NYMR station webcam

rans6andrew
23rd Sep 2016, 18:12
The NYMR (preserved steam railway) have set up a webcam looking onto their Grosmont station. Gives a view of both platforms and trains stopping there. The view is quite good but they have missed a trick, it would be so much better had they streamed the sound along with the picture (I have told them!).

Go to:

https://www.nymr.co.uk/live-webcam

Enjoy.

The Nip
23rd Sep 2016, 18:54
My annual week in God's Country is in 2 weeks time.

My trip takes me to the war weekend in Pickering. Also the NYMR journey from Goathland to Grosmont. They charge me a pittance to take my collie on. The walk back is mainly along the same line. But about halfway is Beck Hole. A tiny pub serving real beer, local pies and baps!

Well worth a visit.

rans6andrew
23rd Sep 2016, 22:06
we are having our second holiday this year, up there, starting on 29th! We were there for the Spring Steam Gala in May. Next week is the Autumn Steam Gala. We used to go for the War Weekend but it got too busy and then they stopped letting the military vehicles parade through the streets, I used to like to see the tanks. The Steam Gala suits us better. As an extra treat they have started to have a real ale trail (bars in some of the villages, some stations and on the train) on the same weekend, must pack a couple of proper beer glasses to avoid using the free plastic ones.

I have been there at least once every year except one since 1978. When I first went to the railway I went with my parents and we stayed in a camping coach at Goathland station. We have stayed in a number of places around Goathland, Beck Hole, Rosedale Abbey and recently we have stayed in Pickering. We always combine a NYMR event with a week of walking, usually within earshot of the line and, of course, we always treat ourselves to a meal or two at The Magpie Cafe in Whitby.

radeng
24th Sep 2016, 15:09
I must go and see the NYMR. Another railways with webcams is the Cumbres and Toltec in New Mexico.

Friends of the C&TS - Chama Web Cameras (http://www.coloradonewmexicosteamtrain.org/camera-portal-vertical.htm)

Well worth going on, but Antonito, Colorado is enough of a hole to make Swindon look good!

B Fraser
25th Sep 2016, 05:40
The West Somerset Railway have a few webcams. If you watch the preparation and departure of this morning's 10:25 down train then you may catch a glimpse of me with the shovel. I'm just off to prep the loco and get her ready for hauling 7 coaches up the 1 in 80 to Crowcombe from Bishops Lydeard.

wsr.org.uk (http://www.wsr.org.uk/r-cam-bl2.htm)

I have just checked the roster and the loco will be 6960 Raveningham Hall. A good day out !

Dee747
26th Sep 2016, 12:05
But about halfway is Beck Hole. A tiny pub serving real beer, local pies and baps!

And for those arriving in a car, there is a 1:4 down to it from one direction, and a 1:4 back up on the other side. True Moors countryside and a favourite spot of ours when caravanning in the area. Just pray that a crowd (say 6 or more) haven't arrived just ahead of you otherwise it'll be a tad tight inside getting served. :ok::ok:

G-CPTN
26th Sep 2016, 12:15
And for those arriving in a car, there is a 1:4 down to it from one direction, and a 1:4 back up on the other side. True Moors countryside and a favourite spot of ours when caravanning in the area.
Sounds ideal caravan terrain.

lomapaseo
26th Sep 2016, 13:42
Do they frown on driving along the track to avoid the hills when caravanning?

Dee747
26th Sep 2016, 15:16
Only when we stop for a picnic and comfort stop in the passing places. Oh, and when we leave the gate open .... :=

G-CPTN
26th Sep 2016, 15:43
it would be so much better had they streamed the sound along with the picture.
I agree! It can't be that difficult.

lomapaseo
26th Sep 2016, 21:55
I agree! It can't be that difficult.

any current examples in HD?

rans6andrew
26th Sep 2016, 22:46
we have a security camera looking onto our patio. It was not expensive when we bought it 5 years ago. It transmits the picture and sound signals to it's dedicated receiver which is currently poked into the AV sockets on our bedroom television. The receiver also has a USB output which can be poked into any PC from where it can be fed to the WWW. I can confirm that both the TV and USB signals deliver the sounds picked up from the scene. When the light level falls too low for it to produce a full colour picture it switches on some built in IR leds and carries on in black and white.

Setting it up wasn't/isn't rocket science, just plug and play. The most difficult thing was finding the right buttons to press to get the picture on the 25 year old portable TV screen. The TV isn't blessed with on screen menu programming!