PDA

View Full Version : Mbuji-Mayi Boeing 720.

707-348C
22nd Sep 2016, 21:33
5 years ago I posted requesting whether any pilots flying into Mbuji-Mayi had seen a derelict Boeing 720-048 in residence. I had several replies confirming that she was there, largely intact as a couple of photographs posted showed. I write to ask the same question. Looking on Google Maps it appears not. Any local crews know if she is still there, or has she now been broken up? Thanks for any help in advance.

Bradan feasa
22nd Sep 2016, 22:31
Google Earth shows it on 04Aug2010 but it has gone by 30Aug2011

A report on pprune had it still there on 05Mar11.

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/442922-boeing-720-mbuji-mayi.html#post8788746

I have a copy of a picture of it still on its undercarriage with most of the passenger cabin above the floor cut away but the cockpit and vertical fin somehow hanging on. Unfortunately, the link to the original poster of the picture gives an error message. Presumably that was between Mar and Aug 2011.

It is ironic it outlasted all the original Aer Lingus B707-320Cs!

dr27
23rd Sep 2016, 05:04
why the interest ?

707-348C
23rd Sep 2016, 20:24
I flew on her several times in the sixties, before my flying time though, I was still a young boy. I also grew up under the take off flight path of what was in those days runway 24 at Dublin. She was a regular over flyer of my home on her way to Shannon. I also remember seeing her in Liverpool.

In idle moments I often thought of the possibility of recovering her to restore, given a vast amount of money obviously. Silly dreams really, but I'm kind of saddened she no longer exists.

Thanks for the replies, I'm really grateful, and if anyone knows where she ended up, I'd guess a scrapyard somewhere, or any photos of her removal, please message?

Thanks again.