PDA

View Full Version : cabin crew whilst training

fraser1
22nd Sep 2016, 17:07
Hi all,

Just a quick question to hear some opinions.

I am going to start my modular training to become a first officer, one company I would really like to work for is Flybe.

Do you think it is worth applying to be cabin crew whilst training just to get my foot in the door.

Thanks in advance :ok:

Council Van
23rd Sep 2016, 11:42
Why would you like to work for Flybe so much? A good start in the industry but loads of other airlines around.

I know quite a few pilots who have been cabin crew in the past, it will possibly help you get a job. Jet2 recently took a member of cabin crew as a pilot apprentice.

I belive companies like Thompson have recruitment campaign's that are only open to current employee's so if you are going to be Cabin crew some companies might be better than others.

Consider other jobs in the industry, dispatching, ops crewing, flight planning, loads of positions available that will give you a good grounding in the industry and perhaps enable you to network with the right people.

fraser1
24th Sep 2016, 12:39
[QUOTE=Council Van;9517673]Why would you like to work for Flybe so much? A good start in the industry but loads of other airlines around.

I know quite a few pilots who have been cabin crew in the past, it will possibly help you get a job. Jet2 recently took a member of cabin crew as a pilot apprentice.

I belive companies like Thompson have recruitment campaign's that are only open to current employee's so if you are going to be Cabin crew some companies might be better than others.

Consider other jobs in the industry, dispatching, ops crewing, flight planning, loads of positions available that will give you a good grounding in the industry and perhaps enable you to network with the right people.[/QUOTE

I would like to work for Flybe as my girlfriend currently works there as cabin crew and I have met a few of the flight deck. The guys love it there and I know one guy who was a modular student and he got s job there no bother at all

rosiew16
26th Sep 2016, 09:21
Lots of pilots work as cabin crew whilst training - this is a good way to get your foot in the door before you qualify, as well as helping with your costs! Definitely go for it (although don't get your heart set on just one airline - there's plenty of good ones out there!)

fraser1
26th Sep 2016, 17:38
Thanks for the advice Rosie.

I really love the dash so it would be a dream to fly it, I am trying not to get to set on Flybe but I just love it haha

SeventhHeaven
26th Sep 2016, 19:41
Flybe literally has thousands of FO CVs on file, and even outsourced their selection to CTC. Realise the odds are stack against you. I am willing to bet my (useless) license against it :-)

fraser1
27th Sep 2016, 09:34
I've spoken to a few FOs based at EDI and they were modular students who were cabin crew. One if which only started flying on the line a few weeks ago and went through Flybe directly.

jamesgrainge
27th Sep 2016, 16:26
Flybe literally has thousands of FO CVs on file, and even outsourced their selection to CTC. Realise the odds are stack against you. I am willing to bet my (useless) license against it :-)

Maybe because Flybe is a relatively small airline? Compared to other holiday airlines. Using the current trends in aviation from Boeing and Airbus of all people, the growth suggests that Europe alone will fall short of Supply by 500+ pilots, Every year. Add to this the decline by 31% in the number of CPL's issued by the UK, retirement, movement to non flying roles etc I would say no matter how you go about your entry to the interviews you have a good chance (provided there is nothing wrong with your attitude) although I have nil experience in the recruitment side I just thought this might give everyone some optimism who will qualify in the near future.