PDA

View Full Version : Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Smurfjet
6th Mar 2001, 12:31
Anyone try ERAU's distance learning program (Aviation subjects)? Did you like it? Hate it? Good, not good? :)

Is it something you can put on your CV?

Thanks!
SJ

744CTYANKEE
6th Mar 2001, 15:30
I recently enrolled, so I cannot offer a critique at this time, but, the institution is an "Accredited" university, and as such, your work and effort would also be validated enough to put on your resume. Good luck.

nosefirsteverytime
17th Mar 2001, 22:21
Here's my situation...

I'm a student in an Irish secondary school. Next year I will be starting the two-year Leaving Certificate exams after which I will be going to college (wahee!). Whatever I do for my mula, I'd like it t have something to do with planes. I wanted to be a pilot, but my optician won't let me (sniff!). So if I can't fly 'em, I'll have to make 'em, and that means becoming an engineer. However, the only English-speaking Aeronautic Engineering courses on this side of the Atlantic are in Belfast or Limerick. Neither has a good reputation crime-wise, so I thought to my-self "what about US?". I looked, and found this place in Daytona Beach, Florida. Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (sound impressive, huh?). Anywez, I read about this place, and I think it would be perfect. however, all I have seen is the official site, and I'd like to get some opinions. I'm all the way over in Ireland, so I can't get any magazines or anything about it from none-partial sources (i.e. past pupils) And, even if I DO find I want to go, where am I gonna get the money? will a company sonsor me? is there aviation scholarships, or something?
So, the three questions I'm asking, are:
What is Embry-riddle like?
Is it worth caming across the Atlantic for?( well, the Florida sunshine's enough to get me over, but anyways)
Is it out of the son of a petrol station owner's son's reach money-wise?

Thanks loads,

Colm J. Flaherty

little red train
17th Mar 2001, 22:57
And if you look Eastward, Glasgow, Manchester, bath, brighton, bristol and a multitude of other places offer English-speaking Aeronautic Engineering coarses (131 coarses in total for 2001), I don't know if you have it in Ireland but UCAS is a good service for those looking for further education.

www.UCAS.com (http://www.UCAS.com)

click direct to the page

http://search .ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/search/CourseSearch2001/StateId/BaBdmcwMuSScuweVdEdSyNKuV5M3--arMi/HAHTpage/CourseSearch2001.Hsindex10.run?r=N&i=N&a=6 (http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun.hse/search/CourseSearch2001/StateId/BaBdmcwMuSScuweVdEdSyNKuV5M3--arMi/HAHTpage/CourseSearch2001.Hsindex10.run?r=N&i=N&a=6)

[This message has been edited by little red train (edited 17 March 2001).]

nosefirsteverytime
18th Mar 2001, 02:20
um, whoops, ah,....
(:}

well, I'll take back the whole "two courses in english" thing, but Florida would still be my 1st choice....

Although England still looks better than here...

FAAJAA
19th Mar 2001, 09:51
Riddle has been around since the 20's, bloody good aviation school, amazing facilites, but however, it's very expensive. Cost of a degree there including up to a Commercial ticket and all your CFIs is close to USD130000.(Cost of living, tickets home included). It unfortunately won;t set you up for much in Europe. US airlines love the place, but i have not heard much about europe, as they do not offer JAA instruction.

Airliner Junkie
6th Apr 2001, 08:45
Been looking to go to Embry Riddle in Florida for my flight training, but the only thing that's holding me back so far is the cost (for now). I was going for a degree in computer engineering, and was 2 months shy of earning my AS degree when the school I was attending closed its doors. Since other colleges won't accept the credits (maybe the GE credits) I am about to have the loan legally discharged, (I can do that since the school closed with no notice) and pursue a degree in aeronotical science or similar. Anyone been to 'Riddle? Good, bad, mediocre? As far as I've heard so far, they are way better than the other rating mills around the rest of the country.

Erik.

liv2fly
6th Apr 2001, 09:23
Embry-Riddle is a great school, and probably the most well known in the aviation industry.

I went to The Florida Institute of Technology myself, which is the major rival school down in Melbourne, Florida, about 100 miles South of Daytona Beach. We had tons of people from the Northeast going there, and lots of people went to United Express / Atlantic Coast Airlines in Dulles after graduating, but that was back in 1993.

All of the schools will set you back a tremendous amount of money, but will provide you with a good education as well as good flight training.

Other schools you may want to look into in the US as well are Purdue University and The University of North Dakota. Both of those schools have large aviation programs as well.

There are many others. I'm sorry I cannot think if many right now, it's a bit early in the morning here in Europe.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to e-mail.

capt_kangeroo
6th Apr 2001, 12:40
ER have a great reputation. I am planning on doing their BSc in Prof Aeronautics once my ATPL's are out of the way. I have met the faculty staff and they are very helpful and proud of their University.

Speed Addict
6th Apr 2001, 16:07
Ola !

ERAU is simply the world best. Top quality flight training, and outstanding academic professors. Useless to give examples, I would not know who to choose among the long list of distinguished aviation professionals absolutely dedicated to their job and to YOUR success.
The quality and means of training I have recently been delivered for a JAR ATPL in one of the best FTO in Europe is way so far to match those of ERAU 6 years ago.... The difference is close to being an amateur or a pro... Flight training is OK in Europe, although there is still a lack of modern and adequate means of training (quality books, multimedia, etc). However, I insist, the theoretical ground instruction in Europe is a "dinausor" and almost a disaster, partly due to many JAA "inadequacies"...

If you need any more info or advice, feel free !

Speed Addict
ERAU B.S. Aero. Sci. 1994, DB campus
FAA C-ASMEL-I
(& soon JAR ATPL frozen!)

[This message has been edited by Speed Addict (edited 06 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Speed Addict (edited 06 April 2001).]

jlms
6th Apr 2001, 17:33
But do Embry Riddle offer JAA training and licences?

Thanks.

Sprawler
6th Apr 2001, 18:30
You should try having a look at http://jetcareers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=13
Very good forum on EBRU.

Speed Addict
8th Apr 2001, 05:26
Nein,

To my knowledge, ERAU still does not offer JAA training. I do not believe they will soon, however showing them your potential interest could only help.
It would take them a month or so, I believe, to be up to JAA standards. Even better -like Oxford did w. different US schools- , they could ally with a European FTO such as one lacking of ground and flight instructors...
Hint hint !!!

Cheers,

Speed Addict

CHUUK
8th Apr 2001, 15:43
I don't know what the quality of learning is at the Daytona campus, but I can attest to the attrocities of the Prescott, AZ campus... I spent 5 years and US$80K+ there (someone should have put me out of my misery).

I visited the Daytona campus a while back on a tour. It looked 10 times the Prescott campus. More aircraft, more professors, more simulators... a place on the up and up. However, at that time, if I were to choose to go there instead, I'd have been put on a waitlist to start flying. Also less multi-hours, and VMC isn't as much as Prescott.

If you decide to give Prescott a look, I can direct you to at least a couple of dozen people that will give you horror stories similar to my experiences.

The best thing one can do if they want the ERAU name is to choose the Air Studies branch of the Air Science degree. This one involves no flying at ERAU, but all the course of the A.S. curiculum plus some. Save 50% and get your ratings at an FBO during that time.

------------------
Preez mind dah pratform gahp.

Airliner Junkie
8th Apr 2001, 21:06
CHUUK, I'm sorry to hear of your experience at Prescott. I will definitely be going to Daytona Beach for all reasons you stated, and more. I also found out through FlightSafety International that they have an agreement with ERAU where their students can earn a degree, and still earn their ratings at FSI. They also have a better off campus housing option, so I'll definitely be checking them out. AFAIC, a degree from ERAU carries quite a bit of weight and credibility, so all I have to do is go for my visit in May, and that will be the final part of my research, but so far, ERAU is #1 on my list and FSI is #1 for my ratings unless ERAU can get me into the flight line as well as FSI can. Thanks for all the advice. :cool

Erik; looking forward to FL390

------------------

kanga
9th Jul 2001, 00:57
does anyone out there have any experience of the distance learning courses at Embry -Riddle Aeronautical University ?
if you could post here or email me, [email protected] it'd be great.
cheers.

N380UA
9th Jul 2001, 09:59
Did my BS there in Av.Tech/Flight. Great University excellent flight training. Make sure all licences are JAA---FAA is worth sq*at here. :mad:
Never did the distance learning but if it is the same as the university it should be all right.

alouette
9th Jul 2001, 10:56
To Kanga,

I am enrolled in the Distance Learning program of Embry-Riddle since last year. At first I was a bit skeptic about those internet classes, but after going through it, I have to admit it´s worth it. Embry-Riddle is, in my opinion, a first class university with programs tailored to your needs. email me and I can give you some more details.

Cheers, Alouette

darryld
10th Jul 2001, 04:12
I am a student pilot currently at Georgian College in Ontario, Canada. My college has an affiliation with Embry-Riddle AU which allows studens to do three years at Georgian and one year of distance learning to get your BSc in Airport Business Administration. All of the students I know love the distance learning, Embry-Riddle has a great reputation that entends all the way up here. I have one year of college left before I start ERAU.

I know airport business administration isn't exactly what the airlines are looking for but from what I've heard most airlines (Air Canada, Skyservice, Canada 3000) are happy with any degree as long as you have the minimum hours. Can anyone confirm this?

Has anyone else completed airport business admin at ERAU through distance learning?

mnemonic
8th Sep 2001, 03:58
I've heard that Embry Riddle is a school with courses geared main towards pilots and not aeronautical engineers. Is this true? How is an aeronautical course given there specifically different from one given at a college like MIT?

[ 08 September 2001: Message edited by: mnemonic ]

Naples Air Center, Inc.
8th Sep 2001, 20:23
mnemonic,

Here is a good source to start looking into the two schools.

Click here for the ranking of Embry Riddle Aeronautical University (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/drrank_1479.htm)

Click here for the ranking of Massachusetts Institute of Technology (http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/directory/drrank_2178.htm)

Hope this helps,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

jongibbs
26th Jan 2002, 05:12
Hi guys, . .Im about to enter college and I am hoping to become a professional pilot. I got into ERAU and Parks college but Im having trouble choosing. Perhaps you guys could give me some insights?. .Thanks. .Jon

Freak On A Leash
26th Jan 2002, 17:32
Both are good universities.For what it`s worth; ERAU has (or had when I was doing flight training) a very good reputation.

But there are other aviationrelated universities that also offer the same degrees and certificates.. .You might want to take a look at the University of North Dakota - UND and the University of Alaska, Anchorage - UAA.

Lotsa luck to you.

GoneWest
26th Jan 2002, 17:49
Never heard of Parks (being a Limey) but Riddle has a stunning reputation amongst the Florida flying fraternity (including the FAA) - way better than FlightSafety for initial training.

frogone
26th Jan 2002, 20:17
There's also another place in Oakland CA, Sierra Acedemy of Aeronautics. Apparently there good too.

<a href="http://www.sierraacademy.com" target="_blank">www.sierraacademy.com</a>

EIDW

nosefirsteverytime
26th Jan 2002, 20:40
I looked into Embry Riddle myself, but saw it was REAL expensive, and they had no scholarships. Are you paying for this yourself?

timyue
27th Dec 2004, 10:15
Hi i am a senior in high school in Hong Kong. I hold a PPL and i am planning to apply to Cathay's Cadet Programme.

However, i believe i will most likely not get admitted into it so i will apply to Embry Riddle for Aeronautical Science and Purdue's Flight TEchnology degrees.

I was wondering if anyboyd has any information on which one will be better

Embry riddle's or Purdue?

Plesae take into consideration the weather, the facilities, the fleet, teachers etc.

thanks again

energie
30th Dec 2005, 17:46
Why do you believe that you will most likely not get admitted? As a fellow CPP applicant, I sincerely urge you to not give up before even trying.

You have an advantage over many others, because you live in HK AND you have a PPL.

How did you get a PPL in HK anyway?

timyue
30th Dec 2005, 23:06
i got the PPL from canada... so yeh

that post is a year old ahahah

i've been accepted to both ERAU and Purude now but im in the process of applyuing for CX and dragon air haha

how bout you??

tim

pilotezulu
30th Dec 2005, 23:20
Tim,

Sounds like you got yourself set up. btw, did you end up going to embry-riddle? i am considering this as one of my options as well. you know with the student visa these days for international students to the US, it just seems near impossible to get any sort of education done there.

btw, did you have to obtain a TSA clearance.. how dya go bout doing that anyway? im sure they asked for it.

anyway, good luck at cx and/or dragon.

timyue
30th Dec 2005, 23:23
noo im not going to ERAU

its too aviaiton concetnrated tlk to most pilots they discouraged going to such a concentrated universities

im most likelyy going to Purdue

well im a canadian citizen.. up to now i have heard that you will deal with the TSA secu. clearance once u arrive at the uni. not before hand...

i'm most likelyy going to go to purude if i dont make CX/DRagon

tim

Scoobster
22nd Jan 2006, 14:23
In my search for a reputable university/flight school and after an extensive conversation with an inspector at FAA NY Field Office regarding flight training academies a number of names such as Purdue and ERAU came up.

Whilst there are many other reputable names such as Dragon Air (well so i've heard), I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience of the ERAU CAPT Program? Any aspiring aviators currently on the program? Does anyone have any experience of taking their selection tests? Ahhhh questions, questions, questions :O

Also any insight into the reputation, work ethos, culture of the school would be appreciated (Im currently in the UK and plan to visit ERAU in the summer) just have to weigh up going to a reputable establishment like ERAU or Purdue etc compared to a local school in NC/SC? It is constantly reiterated that the culture, friendliness of the school, along with ethos should form the basis of the decision?!

Also any recommendations regarding schools in NC/SC?

I know I ask too many questions ;) but its a quest to make the most informed decision :)

Thanks.

tigermagicjohn
22nd Jan 2006, 18:28
I think you have to be US resident for the CAPT program. At least this is required for getting airline interview.

I heard good of the school, but maybe they are a little more expensive then the others.
From what I found out EFT is offering the best I have been able to find for European pilots education, both JAA and FAA and priority on multi engine.

Send Clowns
22nd Jan 2006, 19:06
And be able to work in Hong Kong to get a second-officer post with Dragon Air

s4is3
3rd Feb 2006, 02:07
I'm looking at those two colleges and cant decide on which one. Do you guys have any advice on which one is better and why? I want to become a pilot but if that dont work out then I'm gonna need a backup plan so would it be better to go ahead and get a degree while im at it?

FlyVMO
3rd Feb 2006, 03:04
I graduated from Riddle (Daytona) in 04,
When I was there I felt the classroom material was very good providing you put in the effort, a lot of people didn't and complained unfairly. I griped about flightline policies while I was there, but having seen what goes on in other places, the bureacracy is a tradeoff for a tightly run ship- very professional (don't be afraid to be picky with instructors though-all are NOT equal!!). They have started using sims in place of some of the flight time, this was just beginning when I left and I'm not convinced its the greatest idea, try and get hold of some flight students who are still there for their take on it.
The biggest downside to Riddle is that the tuition is spiraling out of control, If you dont have someone backing you financially, you should make every effort to land some form of scholarship or you'll have to take an extraordinary sum in loans.
The other important thing is don't make the same mistake I did- don't presume someone will hand you a job when you walk out the door, wherever you decide to go. I never really gave it much thought, and my parents have been nice enough to put me up while I get my JAA ATPL done, since Im not exactly bringing in much cash just now! If you realize that before you set out, you'll be a lot better off.
I truly hope I dont sound discouraging, these are just things I would want to know if it was me. Desire and motivation will carry you a long way; if you have them on your side it makes all the difference. Good luck and PM me if you want more details.

s4is3
5th Feb 2006, 03:44
Anyone else have any input on either of these two schools or are there others that I should look into before deciding?

lilpilot
10th Feb 2006, 06:46
Hi there,

I'm training in the US so I'm fairly in the picture. The best school for you depends on a lot of things. Do you need a degree? Do you have previous flight experience? What's your citizenship (visa issues)? How much money do you want to spend and how much you have? Are you ready to pay even more for the conversion?

ERAU is not considered to be "special" here in the US for pilot training purposes, nor are any of the other pilot factories. If you want to be a rocket scientist, that's a whole different issue. No one cares here where you trained as a pilot as long as you know what you are supposed to.

If you need a degree, you should check out Ohio State, Purdue, UND-univ of N.Dakota, WMU - western mich. univ., ASU - arizona state... so on the list is endless, just look for a college with an aviation degree. Also AOPA's Flight training magazine december 2005 issue is the "college issue" check it out. All the above mentioned are well established schools that have an even better reputation then ERAU, specially considering the costs, some of them cost half of ERAU, so why would you go there, unless you have a "special" reason, i.e. you have a lot of cash to dump.
I did not go to ERAU so I don't have first hand experience, the graduates from there are generally well trained and happy with what they got, but also most of them admit that they got it at an inflated price.

If you need a visa, but no degree, you have to go to a Part 141 school, one that can issue the necessary papers for your visa.

If you don't need a visa, or just come to build time and do not add any certificates or ratings you can go to a Part 61 school, usually called "local FBO" or "mom and pop shops", these are generally cheaper then the 141 schools, and the training is just as good if not better....

So, if you're aiming for a UK issued JAA license and you live there, you should start with the ATPL theory and PPL, then come to a cheap place to build time, then go back for a higher rating, then come back to build time, so on....

Whatever you do, do your research first!

Regards,
lilpilot

FL050
11th Feb 2006, 03:29
Reference http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=72523 for some Embry Riddle comments.

Which Spartan College are you talking about? They are rather expensive either way but Spartan would still be much cheaper than ER.

no-rvsm
6th May 2006, 08:12
hi folks,

does anybody has experience w/ the distance learning undergraduate programm at embry riddle?

or is somebody enrolled ?

need some infos

thanks

no-rvsm

JD ERAU
11th Jul 2006, 17:04
hi everybody,
i wanted to know if anybody of you knows embry riddle aeronautical university. i wanted to attend on fall 07. if yes can you contact me and tell me what do you think? thanx;)

Aceninja
8th Sep 2006, 14:02
Hi,
I was wondering if any of you guys have heard of Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in FL? (Ft. Lauderdale/Daytona ). I was thinking of doing my flight schooling there. The price they are asking for is $85,000 for 0 hours to 225, with a DC-9 type rating. What do you guys think about the cost? It sounds a bit steep to me, but will it be worth it? And yeah my folks arent rich so I will be going into debt (partially) on this one.

Here is the school link :

http://www.erau.edu/capt/why-commercial-pilot/flight-schools-information.html

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

JS3
8th Sep 2006, 15:30
Be careful what you apply for. The ERAU CAPT program is excellent training in excellent aircraft. Thats about the only upside to the entire scheme.

The downside is that it does not guarantee you a job in the end, in fact I graduated from Embry Riddle without going through that program and I have gotten pilot employment much faster than the CAPT graduates.

In the end its a big investment and if you want the comfortable experience of going through a whole start to finish course at ERAU I would recommend it only from the training side, which is excellent.

However if you want peace of mind afterwards with lots of money left in your pocket, most employers wont care if you flew a Diamond DA42 or a Piper Seminole during training. All they care is that you have the qualities to be a good crew member and pilot in that company.

Good luck.

sicky
8th Sep 2006, 15:56
I was highly recommended this school by a couple of excel pilots and their engineer. i had a look into it but havn't really followed up from there, i wasn't sure if it gave you an FAA or CAA licence but i'll have a look at the link u have posted.

Apparently boeing send all their pilots there or something like that??

Also i think you need a degree to go onto their course?

FlyingNinja
8th Sep 2006, 20:56
Be careful what you apply for. The ERAU CAPT program is excellent training in excellent aircraft. That's about the only upside to the entire scheme.

The downside is that it does not guarantee you a job in the end, in fact I graduated from Embry Riddle without going through that program and I have gotten pilot employment much faster than the CAPT graduates.

In the end its a big investment and if you want the comfortable experience of going through a whole start to finish course at ERAU I would recommend it only from the training side, which is excellent.

However if you want peace of mind afterwards with lots of money left in your pocket, most employers wont care if you flew a Diamond DA42 or a Piper Seminole during training. All they care is that you have the qualities to be a good crew member and pilot in that company.

Good luck.

Ladies and Gentleman,

This is my first post to this forum and I am here to introduce myself to you all. I am a graduate of the program that you are referring to. The Commercial Airline Pilot Training Program based out of X47 in Flagler, FL. This program USED TO BE under the Embry-Riddle banner, but it was discontinued to due its lack of productivity and performance requirements set forth by Embry-Riddle. The press release announcing this was made this past February. It has recently been purchased by a company called Flight Training Services International (FTSI).

I am here to tell you that you do NOT want to consider this program for flight training. I graduated from this program in October 2005. I was promised the program to complete in 10-12 months in the ab initio training program. I started in early June 2004. My class was not the only class that suffered from the extra months of training (which translates to extra cost of living, etc.). Many classes ahead of me and behind me also suffered this. They also promised guaranteed interviews with regional airlines and at the time when I enrolled, they actually had ZERO agreements. They verbally told me they had 7-9 agreements. Today, word on the street is that ASA is not hiring from CAPT currently. I also heard that Pinnacle is not hiring CAPT anymore. Their agreement with Focus Air has expired since FTSI bought the program. Put it simply, there is nowhere for graduates to go today. While this may change in the future, you have to ask yourself if spending all that money is worth taking the risk when there are other programs out there that have a LONG history of placement success and stability.

This program will say anything to try to get you into their program. And it wasn't until they recently received an influx of money from FTSI that they are trying their failed business model again. To-date, only 80% of their graduates have jobs with airlines. One may think this is a good thing, however, about half of these people were hired by Focus Air, a start-up cargo carrier that was NOT a flying job. Therefore, their pilot placement to a flying position is actually about 40% of total graduates. I unfortunately fall in the 20% of the folks that did not get job placement assistance and support. Since I'm new to this forum and you may not know of my story, let me assure you that I am not disgruntled because I didn't get a flying job. CAPT hung me out to dry and they did very little to help my class with post graduation placement support which they promised. To-date, 50% of my class is still not working with an airline.

I have told my story and my warning to people about this program on other forums and I will start to warn people away from this program here as well. I will tell you MY story and MY experiences. And it will be truthful to the best of my ability.

I warn all of you now, those who are considering this program, to seek flight training elsewhere. They may have received 30 Cirrus SR20's on their ramp, but pretty new airplanes will not help you get a job at the airlines. They peddled the same strategy with the DA40's when they were hot on the market and a bunch of us bought into their used car sales pitch and the lies and promises that never came to fruition. These are sly business people with no honor and are fundamentally dishonest.

If you plan to visit their facility, be warned. They are well training in marketing their program and will say everything you want to hear and impress you with their interview process to make you think they have their act together. In fact, this is far from the truth. Don't be charmed by their pretty new planes while you're there. Everyone wants to fly new airplanes with glass avionics. However, the airlines don't care what you trained in as long as you have the skills, knowledge, and certifications and ratings, and most importantly, flight hours of experience.

CAPT will tell you that the airlines will hire you with 225 hours of total flight experience. That flight experience to my knowledge does not provide you with 100 hours of multi-engine time. The industry today is looking for 1000 hours of total time with 100 hours of multi-engine time. This may increase in the future. So, what can you do with 225 hours if CAPT does not help you or can't help you with placement? YOU LOSE. Like me, you will sit on the side lines with over $100K in debt at 8.5% variable rate over 15 years. My monthly payments today is currently $970 per month. I emplore you to do some math on what you take home from your first few years with a regional airline vs. what you bring home after taxes vs. what you need to survive on. At the end of 15 years, IF interest rates don't increase, I would have paid over $175K back for my loans. Scary.

Someone here posted that CAPT wants $85,000 for their ab initio program today. Please, for your own peace of mind, do some financial calculating and compare other training options. Remember, the DC-9 type rating that you will get from CAPT will NOT help you in the US. And the MD90 EFD is not even flown (to my knowledge) in the US! So if your goal is to get a regional pilot job, that type rating will only tell the airlines hiring you with low time that you are trainable...maybe. Keep in mind that others have succeeded before CAPT appeared and people are continuing to succeed without CAPT today. Airlines care about one thing: flight experience. 225 hours of flight time is simply not enough. If you step on someone's toes during your stay with CAPT, you would have seriously decreased your chances of success. While I can't prove it, my past observations as well as my personal experience have made me to conclude that they exercise preferential treatment of their graduates. In other words, if you are not liked, you're doomed.

With all this said, please, do your research. Don't jump on CAPT because they have pretty new airplanes and a level D simulator. CAPT is very expensive and you can better spend your money elsewhere with more success.

While I realize that most of you would take my word with some skepticism, I am open to anyone who wishes to ask me questions. I will answer them honestly and hopefully advert you from making a terrible mistake by going to CAPT. Today, I do not have a flying job. I am paying back a huge debt. And I have suffered mentally for over 6 months. I don't want to see anyone end up in my situation. And I am not the only one in this situation out of CAPT.

I'd hate to see good people with a dream take a chance with CAPT and experience the anguish, depression, and financial ruin that is my life today because CAPT didn't fulfill their promises to me. I am here to provide my experiences with the CAPT program and help you realize you have other options.

Be WARNED: CAPT is NOT the place to train!

Aceninja
12th Sep 2006, 16:41
How much is Flight training at Embry Riddle? (Not CAPT). How many hours will you have upon graduation and what kind of type rating(s)? And finally just how long is the course and can you just take the flight training by itself w/o the AS degree, if you already have a degree in something else.

keb_87
26th Oct 2006, 21:30
Hello every 1,

I'm seriously confused bout which way to go. My goal is to become an airline pilot, I have recently completed my IGCSE as well as HIGCSE. I understand ther bsc aeronautical course at embry riddle is 4 years in duration where as i can complete my ppl, night rating, ir , multi engine rating and fi at brampton flight centre in 18 months. please give me advise on which way to go. I'm only 19 years old.

Dahula
29th Oct 2006, 03:46
Hi guys,
I am currently an Undergraduate about to complete flying Training at Massey University New Zealand and am considering doing a one year exchange for management at Embry Riddle Daytona florida. Does anydoy know how well recognised is ERAU in Asia (where i want to find work) particularly Singapore? CHeers

timyue
29th Oct 2006, 05:42
i''ll be honest.. i've heard some bad things bout erau.. but im not here to disucss it..

just open your options..

purdue university to be honest is very very recognized in asia.. becuase purdue is famous for their engineering and most asian kids become........ engineers.... or doctors or lawyers =D lol but seriously it is recognized in asia

top 10 for engineering in the USA and for aeronautical engineering we're liek 3rd in the nation behidn i bleive MIT and Caltech....

the reason being we hvae a wind tunnel.. soo it is good

regarding aviation..

i liek it.. at daytona beach in florida traffic is hectic i've flown there before in purdue's airport you still got a tower etc but its a lil better less planes but u still get biz jets coming in so its not just all purdue planes in the sky......

email me if u want more info i thoguht i'd let ya know

tim

timyue
29th Oct 2006, 05:47
woops
regaridng aviatino mgmt.. prudue has a excellent program too you shoudl look into it =)
tim

JohnPetrucci
3rd Nov 2006, 10:15
Guys i need an info. I know that Embry-riddle is an university n normally they give u an uni degree beside your commercial licence.

Since i have an uni degree in my home town, can i take only flight training without uni degree? I heard that there is some kind of CADER program which you can have an "only" flight training. Is this true?

Hey London, I have a question for ya! Is This love?;)

barit1
25th Nov 2006, 22:34
Before the days of "distance learning" I took some graduate evening coursework at an ERAU extension campus. Instructors were part-time but first-rate, either USAF or airline or corporate pros.

Also have first-hand experience with Purdue (teaching aeronautics for 80 years) and Parks (likewise). Some brilliant people have come from both schools.

Markos.
11th Sep 2008, 11:23
Hi,

I am currently graduated from High School and I am just off to university here in Spain for Engineering. I want to be a pilot, I eve applied for Oxford and I was given admitted but I cannot afford it right now. That is why I started university. The point is that now I am considering doing a Bachelor in Professional Aeronautics at ERAU(no flight training), distance learning and I may continue it with a Master in Aeronautical Science.
Becaue it is distance learning, I can study at home and even take my exams. So I can live here.

What do you think? Is it a good idea?
I know I will be a pilot but not now....so a related degree is a good starting.

Any tips?

Thank you very much

Marcos

777RamAirTurbine
14th Dec 2008, 02:34
Hi everyone…
Can anyone answer SmurfJets question from the beginning of this thread? No-RVSM was also asking if anyone has experience about the distant learning/online web based learning system?

larry231
15th Dec 2008, 19:25
i'm gonna enroll with them in a few months, but as far as I can see it instead of going to the Daytona Campus, if the course is offered online it will be cheaper to do it online otherwise check out their website because many courses are available at their extended campuses throughout the US, so that means that it's a lot cheaper to do it at an extended campus than on the main one in Daytona (for exemple here in ft lauderdale they only have to pay for their offices and not the entire campus of daytona that has a dormitory, airplanes, and other big infrastructure), and I got this info from someone working at the extended campus of fort lauderdale and i could see the difference of price (it was a few years ago but for a bachelor's degree it went from 30K to 15K if you do it at this extended campus other than the main one). Now think as well as lodging price.

hope this will help.

Laurent