PDA

View Full Version : Time appears to be running out for the Belfast in Oz

NutLoose
21st Sep 2016, 22:49
See

No Cookies | The Cairns Post (http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/cairns-aircraft-dispute-takes-legal-twist/news-story/759ce4b2ff85a5b1ff0e1ac559876792)

RUCAWO
22nd Sep 2016, 07:27
The Ulster Aviation Society were contacted about it to see if they want in in their collection bud sadly it is well out of their ability to purchase and transport , even if they could afford it getting to the Long Kesh site would be almost impossible.

Herod
22nd Sep 2016, 14:57
Now THERE'S a job for Airlifter. The last few miles, that is.

BEagle
22nd Sep 2016, 18:37
The last time I saw a Belslow was at Dakar on 29 May 2002. It was parked right next to our almost-as-ancient VC10C1K XV102. It took off and set course northwards at a sedate pace; we refuelled and took off a while later to hear it chugging along at FL160 still well south of Tenerife...

It took us 5:30 to get back to Brize - lord knows how long it took the Belslow to reach its destination!

bingofuel
23rd Sep 2016, 13:51
No need for speed when one has a bedroom behind the flight deck, to rest in for some of the duration !

BEagle
23rd Sep 2016, 15:06
One thing about which I've always wondered, was why on Earth the Belslo was fitted with a Mach meter.

Did the needle ever come off the stop?

SASless
23rd Sep 2016, 16:34
Beags, didn't you fly some other Transport Types that had Airspeed Indicators that had lots of wasted range of indication?

Fareastdriver
23rd Sep 2016, 16:47
I didn't know the Belfast had an ASI; I thought it had a calendar.

ICM
23rd Sep 2016, 18:58
In addition to the calendar, it also had a freight bay capable of simultaneously taking both an Abbott Gun and a FV 432, not terribly quickly, I admit, but as far as the 1(BR) Corps area where they were wanted. In 1968/9 there wasn't anything else in the RAF inventory that could approach that, nor was there until the much more recent arrival of the C-17. (The USAF C-133 might have done likewise, I can't be sure, but that was too bulky a load for the C-141A until the C-5A came along from circa-1970.)

Oh, and the bunks were below the flight deck, not behind it - that was the 'Minstrels Gallery.' And having also flown XV102, I do agree that it went somewhat faster.... and higher.

It'll be a pity if XR365 (as was) at Cairns is given over to the local Fire Crew, for there seems little chance of its ever flying out of there - but at least we have XR371 preserved at Cosford, and in original colours.

bspatz
23rd Sep 2016, 19:01
Clearly remember a trip in a Belfast hauling a heavy load BZN to ASI and a creep climb all the way allowed us to reach12,000ft abeam Gibraltar. The captain commented that the straits seemed very busy with shipping and one wag responded that at this altitude they were more likely to be in our way than the airways traffic 20,000ft above us!

Herod
23rd Sep 2016, 19:59
I think the Belfast's finest moment came with the exercise Bersatu Padu back in 1970. The Belfast were taking ten Wessex out to Changi. Two fitted into each Belfast. At one point there were two Wessex reassembled and flying at Changi, two in a tech Belfast at Gan, two ditto at Masirah, two ditto at Akrotiri and two ditto at Brize. Having said that, all arrived safely, and in time for the exercise.

bingofuel
23rd Sep 2016, 20:07
Is it true that a Belfast once submitted a position report during a longish sector
and ended by saying "no signs of scurvy on board?"

BEagle
23rd Sep 2016, 20:21
It is. I was told that the full text was "Setting course westwards, no signs of scurvy amongst the crew!".

Upavon was Not Amused!

DC10RealMan
23rd Sep 2016, 20:23
I was told that it was also fitted with CAT III Autoland.

If so, why?

Fareastdriver
24th Sep 2016, 06:50
That was in case the crew hadn't woken up.

Al Richey
24th Sep 2016, 06:50
It was used as a cheap testbed for the Trident. Once the trials were complete it was not allowed to be used as it was deemed too expensive to maintain. However, I remember a couple of occasions.........;)

TorqueOfTheDevil
27th Sep 2016, 09:27
Now THERE'S a job for Airlifter. The last few miles, that is.

Airlander? And is the job to make the Belfast look less slow?

Geordie_Expat
27th Sep 2016, 12:22
I had to return to Cyprus after Christmas leave in 1974, departing 0500hrs on 1 January (I kid you not). Reporting to Swindon by 2100hrs, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to deduce how the intervening hours were spent.

Aircraft turned out to be a Belfast with about 10 rows of (proper) seats installed. It was like flying in a barn but, as we could lay the seats near-enough flat, and were feeling absolutely no pain, it was a great flight. Got back to Epi just as the bars were opening. Happy days !!

BEagle
27th Sep 2016, 13:23
During my time at RAFC Cranwell on 99 Entry, I went on 2 trips to Germany courtesy of Air Support Command. 4 legs, each in a different aircraft type: Britania, Comet 4, VC10 and Belfast.

The Belfast leg was when we returned from King Rock 69, the infamous 2 week end-of-year exercise under canvas near Brilon. After hanging around for quite a while at the RAFG airfield (Wildenrath?), we were herded into the Bel. and settled into very comfy seats with bags of room. I remember the rear doors closing...and the next thing waking up at Brize Norton. The captain was an ex-Cranwellian and had come down to see us, but the whole Entry had been fast asleep! But what a nice way to travel - infinitely better than in the bowels of a Hercules in some webbing sling.

Wander00
27th Sep 2016, 13:31
We did our Leadership fortnight in 63 in N Cyprus - Britannia to Nicosia, arrived 0400, truck to the camp at Yialla in the Kyrenia mountains. First trek started at 1400 in the heat of the day, down the mountain to the sea and back. By 1700 half the entry, me included horizontal with heat stress!

1965 the RAF could afford 2 Britannias for 2 weeks to take the two senior entries to the USA, 3 days in Washington, Gp Capt Leonard Trent VC was Air Attache, a week at the Air Force Academy, and best part of 3 days in New York, where the RAF rep had put us about 6 to a room in the Governor Clinton Hotel so we had the bulk of out Rate 1s to spend on "entertainment"! How times have changed.

hirsute
27th Sep 2016, 19:35
It was used as a cheap testbed for the Trident. Once the trials were complete it was not allowed to be used as it was deemed too expensive to maintain. However, I remember a couple of occasions.........;)
Only a couple? It worked fine...........

NutLoose
27th Sep 2016, 20:02
1965 the RAF could afford 2 Britannias for 2 weeks to take the two senior entries to the USA, 3 days in Washington, Gp Capt Leonard Trent VC was Air Attache, a week at the Air Force Academy, and best part of 3 days in New York, where the RAF rep had put us about 6 to a room in the Governor Clinton Hotel so we had the bulk of out Rate 1s to spend on "entertainment"! How times have changed.

Off topic, but a couple of RAF guys I knew managed to wangle a trip with the Services to Mexico to see the Aztec ruins, the plan was to fly them VC10 to Belize then on to Mexico by other means, the planned aircraft was cancelled so they were offered an alternate, the RAF would fly them on the Dulles to Washington the weeks before and then provide them with Greyhound coach tickets and hotels etc to "tour" the USA on the way to Mexico, they said it was better than seeing the ruins. :)

goudie
29th Sep 2016, 08:00
Although I worked on Brits, for some reason, which escapes me, I was given the task of carrying out a turn round service on a Belfast. On the flight deck I recall there was a set of tapes which one inserted into a slot. A female voice then talked one through the various checks. Was that unique to the Belfast or was it a feature on other 'modern' aircraft?
I also knew a Flt Eng. who still flew in them when he was 60 odd. He loved them!

Stratofreighter
27th Feb 2017, 11:38
The end is nigh for "Hector"....
Short Belfast status - Cairns Airport - Updated to Feb 2017 (http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?132129-Short-Belfast-status-Cairns-Airport-Updated-to-Feb-2017) :uhoh: :{ :(

JW411
27th Feb 2017, 17:40
I hope it doesn't happen but I suspect it will.

I shall be in mourning for the rest of the year.

Silly Old Hector was the most eccentric of our 10 Belfasts. It used to said that if she did not have a wet nose, then we should not go flying.

I have a wonderful oil painting of Hector hanging in pride of place in my lounge.

RIP Old Friend.

ICM
27th Feb 2017, 22:29
There has been a certain inevitability about this. Farewell, indeed - and we have to be thankful that XR 371 is comfortably under cover at Cosford.

Motleycallsign
28th Feb 2017, 11:15
I remember a Belslow visiting RAF Guetersloh in circa '74. a visiting American said to a mover 'Gee but that's a big plane!' the mover replied (yes a mover) ' You should have seen the thing that brought it in'. Who says movers are humourless?

Fonsini
28th Feb 2017, 12:50
Would it be fair to compare it to a Hercules - or is the Belfast really a strategic vs. a tactical lifter ?

Davef68
28th Feb 2017, 13:49
Yes, better compared to how the RAF employ the C17

JW411
28th Feb 2017, 17:11
One of my friends (who had flown both) used to say that the Belfast was like their C-133 only our one worked.

sandiego89
28th Feb 2017, 18:23
One of my friends (who had flown both) used to say that the Belfast was like their C-133 only our one worked.

Yes, with 10 lost (one in a ground fire) out of 50 built gets into some fighter loss percentages. If you ever get a chance to go to the museum in Dover, Delaware, USA, the C-133 is often open, or the docents are happy to open her up. Great museum especially if you love trash haulers. The cockpit is truly like sitting on a sofa in a greenhouse. The docents are instructed not to bring up the losses unless a guest brings it up. If you do bring it up they are happy to talk about it and you can clearly see the doubler plates and strapping bands that were put in place in the forward fuselage by the cargo door and overhead. Fascinating to see from an engineering side. Many surmise some of the early unexplained losses may have been due to crack propagation, but as the losses were over water this evidence was lacking. One of the final crashes showed the cracking.

The crews also commented that the flight engineer would keep his hand close to the large fuel dump lever by his right hand as an engine loss on takeoff was considered catastrophic.

Otherwise when she wasn't crashing the crews seemed to like her....

bspatz
1st Mar 2017, 14:32
JW411 - was Hector the airframe that had the grey rexine communications system fitted?

Al R
1st Mar 2017, 16:53
Looking at one of the shots in that thread, have I hit this right? Were the rows of seats fitted rearward facing on the ramp, which were then occupied before the ramp was then raised?

ImageGear
1st Mar 2017, 17:25
All of the Belfast aircraft I travelled in had the seats on the ramp facing rearwards. I have no recollection whatsoever of the ramp being down when boarding, it was always raised.

One of our RAF team had an absolute phobia of flying???, and his fingers sometimes had to be prised off the arm rests after landing.

He managed to secretly consume large quantities of sedative tablets before and during flight and he was invariably semi-comatose for much of the time.

On a trip from the UK to Belize around 1972 via Keflavik, Gander, Nassau and Belize he was a shivering wreck. Never stopped him going though.

Would never happen today :ok:

ORAC
1st Mar 2017, 19:04
So, did they dice it?

bspatz
1st Mar 2017, 21:42
Al R yes if the stub deck was not fitted it was normal to fit seats on the ramp to comply with the requirement for pax to sit behind freight. There were special 'cheese plate' adapters that were fitted to keep the seats level. Not the most comfortable way to travel as there were no windows and the ramp could shimmy about during landings which was a bit uncomfortable particularly without any visual reference.

Out Of Trim
2nd Mar 2017, 01:29
Perhaps they could start a museum with it? Seems a shame to just scrap it; especially as someone was looking after it!

Al R
2nd Mar 2017, 08:16
.. thanks for the replies. I wondered about the angle and the inner ear havoc at play.

What a shame if it goes.

NutLoose
2nd Mar 2017, 11:39
It will be, it looks like someone is looking after her

No Cookies | The Cairns Post (http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/cairns-aircraft-dispute-takes-legal-twist/news-story/759ce4b2ff85a5b1ff0e1ac559876792)

ICM
2nd Mar 2017, 12:20
But that link dates from September last year, so we can presumably take it that the Court case has run its course and, if the Aviation Forum posting is correct, that breaking up will now have started?

Stratofreighter
2nd Mar 2017, 13:27
At about 22.00 hrs in the evening local time on the 28th nothing still seemed to have happened around "Hector".

Haven't found any updates from people living near Cearns from the 1st of March or today the 2nd of March.

But the writing is on the wall for this bird, I guess. :sad:

Herod
2nd Mar 2017, 14:46
Has nobody thought about the old idea of making a nice restaurant/bar? With a few railings up ('elf an safety), the wings would make lovely terraces.

Capt Chambo
4th Mar 2017, 02:02
She was still there and appeared to be in one piece on Friday 3rd March

NutLoose
4th Mar 2017, 18:22
I would imagine with the feeling around the world etc, she will be quietly scrapped without much ado, after all negative publicity isn't good for them.. shame as the owners (the airport) couldn't be more adventurous in seeking to place it elsewhere, after all it does not appear to be taking up land that has a pressing need to be cleared, and scrap wise it is worth nothing close to the debts incurred..

asw28-866
1st Apr 2017, 03:23
All,

Noticed this thread a while ago and grabbed a quick snap as I taxied past yesterday (31st March). As you can see, no obvious activity of any nature around the Belfast.

Kind regards

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah4/CaptNia/310317CS_zpspnggrnaz.jpg

airsound
25th Apr 2017, 17:12
http://www.pprune.org/[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/airsound/Belfast%20Hector%20at%20Akrotiri/Belfast%20XR365%2053Sqn%20Akr%20Mar70-07_zps0j70sy42.jpghttp://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/airsound/Belfast%20Hector%20at%20Akrotiri/Belfast%20XR365%2053Sqn%20Akr%20Mar70-07_zps0j70sy42.jpg

Hector at Akrotiri in his (her?) glory days. (You can just see the name under the flight deck window)

Here's a tower conversation I've related before - forgive if you've heard it....

http://www.pprune.org/[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j134/airsound/Belfast%20Hector%20at%20Akrotiri/Belfast%20XR365%2053Sqn%20Akr%20Mar70-07_zps0j70sy42.jpgLate 1970s, a Belfast into Chicago O’Hare. Callsign Ascot 9275.

Chicago tower, Ascot 9275.
Ascot, say your aircraft type.
Ascot 9275 is a Belfast.
Uhhh, what in heck’s a Belfast, Ascot?
It’s a big 4-turboprop freighter - bit like a pretty C133.
OK Ascot, you’re cleared to continue behind the landing 737 - do you have that visual?
Ascot 9275, affirmative, to continue.
Chicago Tower this is United 934.
Untied 934 Chicago, you’re cleared to continue behind the landing Belfast.
The landing what?????
United 934, don’t you know a Belfast when you see one?

bingofuel
25th Apr 2017, 19:18
I vaguely remember a story that a Belfast was landed back at Brize Norton one evening and the Captain received a round of applause for his efforts, on turning around he claims there were a total of 19 people on the flight deck.
Can anyone comfirm this or is it just a Belfast myth?

airsound
25th Apr 2017, 19:32
Bingo, I can certainly attest to remembering 16 on the flight deck in flight - flight crew plus 12.

bingofuel
25th Apr 2017, 19:35
Sounds feasible then. I only once managed to get onto a Belfast and recall it was pretty spacious, but that would be 45 years ago or so. If not 50!!

Al Richey
26th Apr 2017, 08:30
On one of the final delivery flights to the knackers yard I was one of 21 on the flight deck. Have to admit it a bit of a squeeze.