PDA

View Full Version : Tattooed Air Crew

BehindBlueEyes
21st Sep 2016, 20:52
14 tattoos that might actually help you get a job - BBC Newsbeat (http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37433609/14-tattoos-that-might-actually-help-you-get-a-job)

According to this BBC article, "You might struggle to find work in the airline industry, where rules are strict"

Would it concern Ppruners to have visibly inked crew? ( apart from a FO having 'death is my destination' tattooed across his forehead! :8 )

LowNSlow
22nd Sep 2016, 13:16
I'm not particularly a fan of big tattoos but generally I would find it preferable to the poor girl on the easyJet flight to Geneva who had half a dozen flesh coloured plasters (band-aids to our Transatlantic cousins) stuck to her arms and hands. At first I thought the poor lass had been a bit clumsy with a sharp knife while preparing her breakfast but I eventually realized she was covering up her tattoos. In my defence it was an early morning flight :)

None of this lady's tattoos appeared to be large judging by the size of the plasters but someone having major neck or complete arm covering tats could be a bit off putting possibly as I'm not used to the combination of tats and uniforms.

ilvaporista
22nd Sep 2016, 14:18
In some cases they could even be helpful; blood group etc. Number 2 son has his internals all swapped over with his heart on the right. I have for years been thinking about having his chest tattoed with "In case of emergency open other side". The Mrs seems not so keen.. Last visit to hospital they wheeled him back into radiology as they were sure they had put the film in back to front.

Private jet
22nd Sep 2016, 14:19
I subscribe to the old adage "If you can't make your mark on the world you make a mark on your body". However if people want to vandalise their own skin then that's up to them & they should accept the judgements of others accordingly.

obgraham
22nd Sep 2016, 15:30
After a colleague of mine had CPR performed on him for over an hour (unsuccessfully, of course) some years back, I thought of having "15 minutes only, please" tatted onto my chest.

Back to the topic: tats are now so common that it is pointless to make a scene about them. If I were to see ink all over the captain, I would do as I usually do now: go on about my business after commenting to myself that "she is an a$$hole -- I hope she can fly well".

vctenderness
22nd Sep 2016, 15:44
Back in the day tattoos were only acceptable if not visible which meant men wearing long sleeve shirts even in the tropics.

A lot of cabin crew in the 1960's were ex merchant navy so tattoos were quite common. However a female with tats would have been beyond comprehension and I doubt would have got passed the first interview stage.

radeng
22nd Sep 2016, 22:26
I'm almost 70, so I'm most unlikely to be ever interviewing people for a job where I can be picky. But in a professional occupation, I would be very non-PC and wouldn't hire an engineer with piercings (except female engineers with ear piercings) or visible tattoos.

Piercings, especially when work on high power radio/radar transmitters was involved, would be particularly taboo.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Sep 2016, 00:23
Saw a female Leading Hand RN (what used to be called a Leading Wren) from Culdrose in Tescos the other day. The lady looked around 40 so I was a bit surprised to see she had the whole of her forearm tattooed down to the wrist. She was otherwise very smart, in skirt, and shirt sleeve order, but I couldn't help thinking that the tattoos just didn't look right.

Still, probably just a generation thing.

BEagle
26th Sep 2016, 22:23
Would it concern PPRuNers to have visibly inked crew?

Most unlikely to get past an interview. When it is difficult to secure a job in commercial air transport, any idiot with visible tattoos is just limiting their chances of employment.

I would find it preferable to the poor girl on the easyJet flight to Geneva who had half a dozen flesh coloured plasters (band-aids to our Transatlantic cousins) stuck to her arms and hands.

Was she a cabin crew member? If so, she is easily replaced...

hiflymk3
27th Sep 2016, 09:06
The other day I noticed a well endowed lady had a tattoo on her breast. Tat for tit I thought.

Denti
27th Sep 2016, 13:16
Just flew with a flight deck colleague who has ink all over his upper body and arms. No problems getting a job and flying, the only thing he has to do is wearing long sleeved shirts. Yes, at the cuffs you can see he is tattooed, but that is apparently not an issue. However, considering a recent advertising campaign with a heavily tattooed lady that is hardly a surprise.http://www.horizont.net/news/media/14/airberlin-Martine-Lindskjold-138593-detailp.jpeg

hiflymk3
27th Sep 2016, 13:31
Nice face, shame about the tats... I said TATS!

Brian Abraham
27th Sep 2016, 14:29
Still, probably just a generation thing.May be it is, you can see my age, and I absolutely detest the things. Do absolutely nothing to enhance attractiveness regardless of sex, ditto the ironmongery. Nice earrings, or small diamond stud on side of lasses nose excepted.

Hempy
27th Sep 2016, 14:41
What about a tongue stud Brian?

VP959
27th Sep 2016, 14:49
............. ditto the ironmongery.

My feelings exactly.

A few years ago my local barber had a German lady working in his shop. She had bits of metal everywhere, ears, lips, tongue, nose, eyebrows, belly button and "elsewhere". Some of the latter was pretty obvious, as when she brushed against my upper arms when giving me a haircut the lumps of metal she must have had through her nipples made their presence felt.

She was a very nice person, but I never felt really comfortable with her around. There's something rather disturbing about someone with a lot of ironmongery, at a sort of fundamental perception level, that I found hard to ignore.

At ease
27th Sep 2016, 15:02
The vast amount of money spent on such disfigurement also enrichens the coffers of outlaw motorcycle gangs who have a controlling interest in, or outright ownership of, tattoo parlours.

It would be best for the preservation of a peaceful, law abiding society not to help these pieces of scum.

Brian Abraham
27th Sep 2016, 15:03
What about a tongue stud Brian?I thought I had that covered, in fact I did have it covered. Iron in the tongue, or elsewhere, does not make a man a stud, though that's probably the reason he got it in the first place, to allow him to think he is. ;)

Hempy
27th Sep 2016, 15:05
From talking to a particular friend who has such adornments, it's done for two things. To enhance her own pleasure during 'the act', and to enhance her partners.

I'm reliably told that the nipple piercings didn't really help much either way; the tongue stud helped her partner out immensely; and the piercing lower down changed her whole life completely (to the point of nymphomania).

Don't diss something because you haven't tried it. I used to think free climbers were absolutely nuts. Then I watch Ueli Steck free climb the Eiger in under 3 hours and wish I'd extended my thinking.

Geordie_Expat
27th Sep 2016, 15:08
The vast amount of money spent on such disfigurement also enrichens the coffers of outlaw motorcycle gangs who have a controlling interest in, or outright ownership of, tattoo parlours.

It would be best for the preservation of a peaceful, law abiding society not to help these pieces of scum.

I find nothing in the least attractive in tattoos or piercing, but that post is just ridiculous.

Fareastdriver
27th Sep 2016, 15:14
Then beauty of visiting China, often, is that no Chinese women would consider having her face or body disfigured by savages with an ink pen.

Brian Abraham
27th Sep 2016, 15:16
Don't diss something because you haven't tried it.Well, you got me there. It's a bit late in life to be finding out though. Used to being told I was nuts back in my skydiving days, jumping out of serviceable aeroplanes and all that. Even flying was considered extremely dangerous in my early days, at least by the life insurance companies, had to pay an extremely high loading if you wanted a policy, so we were being dissed there as well.
that post is just ridiculous
Geordie, unfortunately in Oz it is the case, and tattoo turf battles are not uncommon, as the bullet riddled shops tend to confirm.

Seldomfitforpurpose
27th Sep 2016, 20:35
Don't diss something because you haven't tried it.

Experianced pretty much the whole gamut of iron works over the last few years and have not found it to be the slightest bit benificial, in fact on discovering more rings than on our lounge curtains one time in a young ladies nether regions it almost bought the proceedings to a halt!

My knee replacement beeps like a beeping thing every time I go through the airport security so god only knows how some of these ladies get on.

BehindBlueEyes
27th Sep 2016, 22:58
Maybe it is generational thing. In my youth, unless you were in the merchant navy or ex service personal, tattoos were associated with the criminal underworld. I'm afraid I still can't get past that whenever I see one.

As for the ironmongery, to me, it just looks aggressive - especially eyebrows. I'm not sure I'd really want to see the flight crew looking like a pair of Hell's Angels, no matter how good they are at their job. I guess it's reassuring to see a smart uniform too, it just conveys professionalism.

ricardian
28th Sep 2016, 00:02
Some of these ladies have more tattoos (or "tramp stamps") than a 3 badge stoker

Hydromet
28th Sep 2016, 08:52
Wouldn't have one myself, and while I prefer 'cleanskins', I can admire an artfully done tattoo. However, I was a bit surprised by a young lady I worked with, very conservative, very good at what she did. One day, I was sitting opposite her at a meeting. When she leaned back, a portion of her midriff above her low-slung jeans was exposed. Peeping above her belt was the head of a bird, very well done. I presume it was sitting on its nest.

Hempy
28th Sep 2016, 09:27
Hydromet, and I bet that changed your opinion of her just a little after that, didn't it? From 'conservative' to 'saucy little minx' perchance?