PDA

View Full Version : Disused airfield Waltham Cross. Name the airfield.

18greens
20th Sep 2016, 21:55
I'm staying in a hotel at Theobolds Park, Waltham Cross. I can see a disused airfield on the map in the NW crook of the M25 /A10. Does anyone know which airfield this used to be?

treadigraph
20th Sep 2016, 22:22
Broxbourne I think... Looking at the map, isn't that now the Newsprint plant, can't remember whose!

Edit: looking at some historic maps online, nothing shows infuriatingly!

DaveReidUK
20th Sep 2016, 22:30
What's the date of the map you're looking at ?

DaveReidUK
20th Sep 2016, 22:46
Broxbourne I think

Broxbourne airfield was about 4 miles NNE of the present M25, just north of the B194, so doesn't sound like the location the OP is describing.

chevvron
20th Sep 2016, 23:12
I believe Broxbourne is now a gravel pit and thus wouldn't be visible.
I seem to recall there was an airfield called Waltham Cross.

David Thompson
20th Sep 2016, 23:22
Chingford or more probably , possibly , Fairlop ?
If it's the area described by 18greens Google Earth reveals the aeronautical place names of Dowding Way , Mollison Avenue and Cunningham Avenue or is that just a coincidence ?

18greens
21st Sep 2016, 05:26
Apologies, it's in the north west quadrant of the M25/A10. Only one runway showing oriented roughly 24/06.

Post code EN7 5HW is the closest one I can find to it on google maps.

DaveReidUK
21st Sep 2016, 06:46
I see what you mean, but I don't think that's a former airfield.

DHfan
21st Sep 2016, 06:58
I lived close to that area for 18 years, and drove past it twice a day for 11 years, before and after the M25 was built, and I've never heard of or seen anything there.
I had the relevant Action Stations at the time, and the book covering all military airfields, so if there had been anything mentioned I'd have gone to look.

Broxbourne Aerodrome is gravel pits and has been for many years. There's absolutely no trace of it now. It's hard to believe there could ever have been an airfield there.

treadigraph
21st Sep 2016, 07:32
I noticed what you meant last night - looks like some sort of trackway to Theobalds Park Farm.

Good site (http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=51.6855&lon=-0.0474&layers=11&b=1) if you haven't seen it before - pity the TQ series isn't complete (yet!). Wondered why parts of London were rather undetailed, then remembered the TQs were just post WWII!

Momoe
22nd Sep 2016, 14:42
Not an airfield, I'm local to the area and although it looks like a dug-out runway it's not.
The 'river' to the west is the New river which would have made any airfield in that direction impractical and to the east is the A10 which was built in the 1930's which again would have made any such development impractical.

I wish it was, I used to'commute' to Gransden when I flew.