PDA

View Full Version : French Hitchhiker Gets the Finger in NZ

ORAC
20th Sep 2016, 08:14
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/20/french-hitchhiker-goes-beserk-new-zealand-four-days-stuck-without-a-lift

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2016, 08:21
Blame the French.

John Hill
20th Sep 2016, 08:32
When did this happen? The road near Punakaikai has recently been blocked by a landslide and the reason why there were no rides offering may have been that there was no through traffic.

Peter-RB
20th Sep 2016, 08:41
I would be as "Happy as Larry" to find myself stuck in such a wonderful looking place..... the Froggy needs whipping with a Blackthorn branch..then he'd have something to be angry about..!:ok::ok:

Sallyann1234
20th Sep 2016, 09:00
Hotel Punakaikai?

Tankertrashnav
20th Sep 2016, 09:42
In my teens I did a fair bit of hitching, mainly in the UK, but once down through Belgium, Holland and Germany as far as Heidelberg. Swapping hitchhiking tales with others, the general opinion was that France was the worst country in NW Europe for thumbing a lift, and there were stories of hitchers taking days to advance a few km. Seems like this bloke was getting the same sort of treatment he'd have got at home.

Octane
20th Sep 2016, 10:47
You have to put a bit of effort in to upset your average Kiwi. I hitchhiked the South Island once and had no problems. I had offers of places to stay, farm visits etc etc. My take on this, the guy is a f%^kwit ......

Just read the Police have charged him and confiscated his passport, I'm laughing so much I'm hurting haha!

oldchina
20th Sep 2016, 11:48
"Upset the average Kiwi"

This is how it's done: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_the_Rainbow_Warrior

lomapaseo
20th Sep 2016, 11:52
what finger was he using to hitchhike with?

do the french do it differently

ORAC
20th Sep 2016, 13:10
Not a happy bear. How much does $3000 work out t in £s?

French hitchhiker facing $3000 bill for sign damage after long wait | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-troubles/84446729/french-hitchhiker-facing-3000-bill-for-sign-damage-after-long-wait)

Quizling
20th Sep 2016, 13:28
3,000.00 NZD = 1,699.95 GBP as of two minutes ago.

DirtyProp
20th Sep 2016, 15:28
He also told us he hadnít eaten for two days so that could have contributed to him losing the plot.Ē
To be fair, I could get quite cranky as well after not eating for 2 days.

Shack37
20th Sep 2016, 15:37
Maybe something to do with being 27 yo and european.

Ranger dies fighting Canaries? wildfire | News | DW.COM | 05.08.2016 (http://www.dw.com/en/ranger-dies-fighting-canaries-wildfire/a-19451857)

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2016, 15:48
He also told us he hadn’t eaten for two days so that could have contributed to him losing the plot.

Where does that fit with not getting a lift?

Flash2001
20th Sep 2016, 17:38
Much like Wawa, Ontario.

After an excellent landing etc...

twb3
20th Sep 2016, 18:10
The level of entitlement that others are responsible to provide you with free transportation on demand is simply stunning. When I traveled in New Zealand I thought the people were wonderful, but then I wasn't expecting to be hauled around, housed or fed at their expense.

TWB

Hydromet
20th Sep 2016, 22:07
...but then I wasn't expecting to be hauled around, housed or fed at their expense.
Neither was I when I hitchhiked around there many years ago, but I was. I found the Kiwis to be the most hospitable people around. You'd have to work hard to upset them, and if he couldn't get a lift, he must have been doing it wrong.

newfieboy
20th Sep 2016, 23:33
Flash
Funny you should mention Wawa ON . I was in that part of the World yesterday. Mind you wasn't really looking for hitch hikers , more the hydro lines as I putted around low level in a B2 . But que e'st la f##k does a French hitch hiker in Kiwiland gotta do with Wawa????

broadreach
20th Sep 2016, 23:41
You just have to wonder at the feeling of entitlement some Europeans exhibit when traveling around a country they consider "of their own level".

Think I'll wait for incoming.

Nervous SLF
21st Sep 2016, 00:08
Why did he just stay in the same place and not try walking? Also a local said he
was only there for 2 days not 4.

meadowrun
21st Sep 2016, 03:03
I've come across two types of hitch hikers.
Those that plant with a thumb out close to the security of civilization and its handy structures and those who are prepared to hike it - sticking the thumb out when a car comes by - venturing off into the great wild wildernesses, sleeping rough as required and setting off again. (Even in Canada where there lurks dangerous fauna, especially at night).

Think this guy is one of the former.
Got any drop bears in NZ?

John Hill
21st Sep 2016, 03:48
The sensible thing to do when hitch hiking is to stand at the end of town with your thumb up, a big smile and if possible a sign with destination.

Do not wander off along narrow winding roads through NZ forests where you endanger yourself and traffic. No one in their right mind is going to stop for some idiot part way through a blind bend in the road and neither is anyone going to slow from 100+ to pick up any idiot who has walked miles from town for no good reason.

Peter-RB
21st Sep 2016, 08:38
Hey John,

Is that KPH or MPH

Adam Nams
21st Sep 2016, 08:48
Perhaps it had something to do with this?

No more rats (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/25/no-more-rats-new-zealand-to-exterminate-all-introduced-predators)

John Hill
21st Sep 2016, 09:00
Peter-RB, Kph, there are not many roads in NZ where 100 Mph would be considered safe and the last time I saw anything like that indicated on a NZ road was when astride a new Norton Atlas.

Octane
21st Sep 2016, 10:54
Did 100 mph late at night on the Southern Motorway in Auckland some years ago in a '63 Mini. Very naughty I know, was to prove a point to a mate. Money was involved, I won....

G-CPTN
21st Sep 2016, 11:39
No more rats (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/25/no-more-rats-new-zealand-to-exterminate-all-introduced-predators)
Would that include cats?

Carbon Bootprint
22nd Sep 2016, 03:04
Don't people hotwire cars anymore? :E

onetrack
22nd Sep 2016, 03:29
Reminds me of a workmate of the brother in the late 1950's. "Pud", as he was known, was a gent who loved his wheels.
He owned a '52 Chev automatic sedan that he was particularly proud of, and which he kept in spick-and-span condition.

Driving down a country highway one day, he sees a (young male) hitchhiker - and feeling magnanimous that day, he stops to pick him up.
Said hitchhiker is carrying a single, smallish suitcase. He opens the door of the Chev, and promptly throws the suitcase on the central portion of the seat - thus incurring a frown from Pud.
Dirty suitcases don't belong on lovely clean vinyl seats.
However, Pud refrains from saying anything, and drives off.

Some small talk ensues about where the hitchhiker is headed, where he came from, and what his aims are.
5 mins later, hitchhiker is feeling pretty relaxed about this ride in a nice big fairly-late-model Chev - so he leans back, and promptly installs his boots up on the dashboard!

Pud is seething internally by about now, but he's good at holding his rage in check. Suddenly, he pulls up sharply, and the hitchhiker becomes a little puzzled.
Pud says, "Can you just hop out for a second? I need to check something."
Hitchhiker, still puzzled, dutifully opens the door and gets out.

No sooner than the hitchhiker is out of the car and standing up, Pud swings around with a smooth fluid motion, applies his left foot forcefully to the offending suitcase, barrelling it out the open doorway, to land at the hitchhikers feet.

Pud then promptly plants the right foot to the metal, leaving the stunned hitchhiker open-mouthed, and wondering what he did, to deserve that? :)

tartare
22nd Sep 2016, 05:32
A certain young lad managed to get his Mitsubishi Cordia Turbo GSR up to 218 kmh on Tram Road in Canterbury (https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Tram+Rd,+Canterbury,+New+Zealand/@-43.361983,172.4672911,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x6d31ee7923f56759:0x77594a8c01f2141 6!8m2!3d-43.361983!4d172.4694798) many many years ago.
Utterly insane now that one thinks about it - z-rated tyres - but everything else was tin can like.
Oh so long - and oh so straight...

Pace
22nd Sep 2016, 07:36
One track

This is the point that seeing a hitchhiker we make a quick judgement on whether we want that person to share time with
If the Hitch hiker looks like a nutcase and potential mass murderer then no way will they get a lift

Flip side I was nearly involved in a tailgate accident years back with drivers braking like mad.
The hitch hiker sported a mini skirt up around her bum and had the tightest tee shirt with amazing boobs
There was almost an accident with drivers fighting to get the lift

Nowadays you would probably be too scared to pick her up ))

TURIN
22nd Sep 2016, 08:58
What's a "Spoilt Millennial"?