PDA

View Full Version : What is going on in New York?

Uncle Fred
18th Sep 2016, 08:50
Two explosions. 29 injured. Pressure cooker device/contraption found.

Whether or not terrorism it looks like a pretty sick thing to do on an Autumn Saturday night.

ORAC
18th Sep 2016, 08:54
You missed out the pipe bombs in New Jersey on Saturday - see the US politics thread.

tony draper
18th Sep 2016, 08:56
Our news seem to be playing this down compared to similar evens in the past,Washington will probably do what they normally do these days, blame the Russians.
:uhoh:

sitigeltfel
18th Sep 2016, 09:21
And the mass stabbing rampage in Minnesota. Apparently he was shouting about someone called Allah.
What's he got to do with it!

bnt
18th Sep 2016, 09:30
So far there hasn't been a rush to assign blame without evidence, which is encouraging, in my view. Sure, we will call it terrorism since you plant bombs like that with the aim of inspiring terror, but panic would have been the wrong response. I hope New Yorkers don't give the terrorists what they want, and so far it looks like they won't.

SASless
18th Sep 2016, 17:09
Bombs are acts of terrorism...to suggest otherwise is to shut your mind to reality.

What kind and to what end depends on the motive.

A young man lost a leg to an IED in Central Park a few months back, we had the bomb in New Jersey, followed by this detonation then the discovery of the pressure cooker device.....all just a coincidence I guess!

Uncle Fred
19th Sep 2016, 00:59
Thanks ORAC I will pass on the US politics thread. I had posted a question there once and even added a comment not so long ago, but the last time I checked in it seemed to be nothing but variations on the Rupert Murdoch shibboleth..sort of like musicians picking out a note a riffing on it.

ArthurR
19th Sep 2016, 07:13
Seems like devices have been found in New Jersey, Robot exploded one device as it cut the wrong wire, nobody injured. (CNN News)

ORAC
19th Sep 2016, 07:52
Another pipe bomb. Could have been left over from Saturday or a new one.

Supposition is both pipe and pressure cooker bombs are by the same person, who is still out there. Thankfully, with only one exploding, they don't seem very capable.

mary meagher
19th Sep 2016, 08:09
There are a lot more security cameras covering the UK than in the US....but with any luck this guy may have appeared on CCTV near a New York trash container. The Boston Marathon bombers, two brothers who had emigrated from Russia with their families ten years before the bombing, had become radicalised even though they had become US citizens.

bcgallacher
19th Sep 2016, 08:27
Heard on radio this morning that an individual had been seen on two cctv locations with what appeared to be the planted devices.

SASless
19th Sep 2016, 11:25
Five in custody for questioning following a "car stop".

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/york-governor-says-no-apparent-between-explosion-overseas-151306033--abc-news-topstories.html

Another device was discovered in Elizabeth, NJ...at a commuter train station....and detonated while a Bomb Squad Robot was attempting to disarm the device.

http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/2016/09/suspicious_package_found_at_elizabeth_train_statio.html

maliyahsdad2
19th Sep 2016, 12:34
Ahmad Khan Rahami

Khan Rahami: FBI hunts for 'armed and dangerous' man, 28, over Manhattan and New Jersey bombings | Daily Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3796411/FBI-hunts-armed-dangerous-man-28-Manhattan-New-Jersey-bombings.html)

mary meagher
19th Sep 2016, 12:54
So far two types of bomb have been mentioned: pipe bombs...I have no idea how these are made.

But two bombs (and the Boston Marathon bombs) made using pressure cookers? well I know what they are.

And any Wallmart would look with suspicion on some bearded bloke buying more than one pressure cooker at a time. Furthermore, they are heavy. How many could the perp carry at once? full of shrapnel? one at most. So this implies in New York City, at least two men....probably using a car. which may have been the car they stopped on the Verrazano Narrows bridge between NY (Brooklyn) and Staten Island, which leads to New Jersey, the site of the foot race targeted by the bombers. As far as I remember.

VP959
19th Sep 2016, 13:13
So far two types of bomb have been mentioned: pipe bombs...I have no idea how these are made.

Pipe bombs are dead easy to make. A friend and I used to make them using weedkiller and sugar when were kids. Essentially they are just off-the-shelf bits of iron pipe, with off-the-shelf blanking plugs, a filling of easily made explosive, plus a means of detonation. As kids we made electric detonators using torch bulbs with the glass removed and gunpowder removed from fireworks.

We were far from alone as kids in the early 1960's doing stuff like this, either. This is the scary thing, the knowledge to make very destructive and dangerous devices is pretty easy to acquire. If we could acquire it easily when we were young teenagers, in the pre-internet age, then it has to be really easy to get hold of now. IIRC, we learned how to make the explosive from an encyclopedia, and worked out how to make home-made electric detonators by just looking at how blasting caps were made, again in an encyclopedia.

FakePilot
19th Sep 2016, 14:01

I had a co-worker who was confused about the Boston bombings. He was wondering where did they plug them in. Apparently he doesn't cook and didn't make pipe bombs as a kid. I feel sorry for him.

lomapaseo
19th Sep 2016, 14:21
And any Wallmart would look with suspicion on some bearded bloke buying more than one pressure cooker at a time.

We are now dedicated to shop via river, Fedex UPS, etc, no need for how we look.

Most large outlets offer these no worry methods today.

We need to address this risk by regulating the product to incorporate huge pressure relief valves like blow off lids. Course this might make for messy kitchens.

Hempy
19th Sep 2016, 14:52
I'd be a little more worried if the perpetrators were strapping the pipebombs or pressure cookers to their chests and setting them of personally. These 'terrorists' aren't a patch on the real deals.

obgraham
19th Sep 2016, 15:38
So Hempy, you're fine with some chicken-shite perp who drops his bomb off near a bunch of people then vacates the premises because he's essentially a coward? Somehow he's not a real terrorist?

Lonewolf_50
19th Sep 2016, 15:39
We are now dedicated to shop via river, Fedex UPS, etc, no need for how we look.

Most large outlets offer these no worry methods today.

We need to address this risk by regulating the product to incorporate huge pressure relief valves like blow off lids. Course this might make for messy kitchens.
Our pressure cooker has this cool little whistling thingy that alerts us to take the damned thing off of the burner. Nice safety feature. (And it makes lovely stew)

maliyahsdad2
19th Sep 2016, 15:56
Suspect arrested.

Hempy
19th Sep 2016, 16:02
So Hempy, you're fine with some chicken-shite perp who drops his bomb off near a bunch of people then vacates the premises because he's essentially a coward? Somehow he's not a real terrorist?

You are a master at putting words into the mouth of what someone else has written. There's some precedence for that...

All terrorists are cowards.

My point was that until you have domestic terrorists with the stones (or stupidity) to strap bombs to their own bodies and dedicate their own lives to 'the fight', you have not much to worry about.

The nutjobs in the middle east have taken it to the next level for at least 30 years.

When it gets that bad in the US, consider yourself under attack.

Cazalet33
19th Sep 2016, 16:51
Bombs are acts of terrorism...to suggest otherwise is to shut your mind to reality.

Depends whether it's our bombs or their bombs.

If we are doing the bombing then it's freedom fighting or the sound of freedom. If we bomb a hospital or a city street then its collateral damage.

Phrases like "collateral damage" are a really good way to shut your mind to the reality of what bombs do to people.

When British and American bombers slaughter Syrian Army troops in Syria, thus opening up the way for terrorists to take over, it's "regrettable".

When the IRA was bombing the streets of Britain, sometimes using garbage cans as cover, it was portrayed in the US as "armed struggle" and policemen in New York and Boston eagerly stepped up their funding of the IRA through Noraid.

SASless
19th Sep 2016, 17:15
Damn Caz......same old talking points...over and over....can you not come up with something new?

I suppose you endorse the NYC Bombings by a Radical Islamic Terrorist?

It may come as a shock and surprise to you but People of all sorts die in Wars.

Obama and Clinton got us involved in Syria and also in Iraq yet again as well as Libya, Yemen, and Somalia.

Hempy
19th Sep 2016, 17:22
My goodness SAS, you open yourself up to unending rididicule by the tripe you post.

jolihokistix
19th Sep 2016, 17:58
Occasional, accidental, collateral killing of civilians is one thing.

Deliberate targeting of soft unarmed non-combatants is another.

In our 'modern' age, who is doing which?

Cazalet33
19th Sep 2016, 18:38
Which country in the world has bombed the most other countries in the world in the past half-century?

Which country in the world has bombed the most civilians in other countries in the world?

Does any other country come close?

mary meagher
19th Sep 2016, 19:09
How about just expanding your time frame a tad....the answer then becomes GERMANY AND JAPAN ! ! ! ! ! they started it, remember? and who brought down the twin towers in NYC? or doesn't that count?

Don't mess with the USA, or Britain, for that matter.

Krystal n chips
20th Sep 2016, 05:14
What a surprise !..only, it seems, a Democrat President has ever got the US involved in wars ( various ).

Thank the Lord then for those peace loving Republicans who have held the same office .....hallelujah !

As for the inevitable dismissive response, as in 99c short of the full $, to the not so little matter of Noraid......

Worth a read....albeit comprehension of the text may be stretching the bounds of credulity for some.

NORAID supporters must examine their consciences (http://www.securitynewsdesk.com/opinion-noraid-supporters-must-examine-their-consciences-over-ira/)

The question is however....will I be in mortal danger should I venture "over there" to visit Yellowstone....always wanted to see the place....and then SF.....c/o Amtrak....or will I be on constant alert....although to be honest, it's the size of the food portions that give me the greatest concern with regard to my well being and safety.

obgraham
20th Sep 2016, 07:11
You are a master at putting words into the mouth of what someone else has written. There's some precedence for that...Twas you, Hempy, who put those "inverted commas" around the word 'terrorist' during the process of mixing your metaphors.

You seem to be adopting the Trumpian tactic of saying things, then claiming you were misquoted.

lomapaseo
20th Sep 2016, 12:03
The question is however....will I be in mortal danger should I venture "over there" to visit Yellowstone....always wanted to see the place....and then SF.....c/o Amtrak....or will I be on constant alert....although to be honest, it's the size of the food portions that give me the greatest concern with regard to my well being and safety.

Come soon ... Yellowstone ain't gonna be around much longer.

Be sure and take lots of selfies with the buffalo and by all means get to dip your feet in the wonderful heated pools.

No worries about the food portions as most of it is unedible americanized fast food.

Wait till you try our fish and chips and grits, with sausage and gravy. (Our answer to your mushy peas)

The best way is not to use Amtrak and to take a non-stop plane from the east coast to the west coast where you can look down on the tops of trees in Yellowstone as you fly over them.

SASless
20th Sep 2016, 12:19
At the risk of being accused of similar traits being assigned to Trump by the Left....if you do a bit of profiling you can improve your odds of surviving a trip to this country.

Young Black Men play the Knock Out game....young Black Men commit the majority of violent street crime....Muslims with/from Middle Eastern, Somali or Afghani backgrounds commit the Terrorist Acts of late.

Soccer Moms driving a Mini-Van while drinking a Latte, talking on a cellphone, and doing her makeup are involved in lots of car crashes.

If you find yourself in dark places or near Mini-vans....you have a greater exposure to danger.

As to the Fast Food thing....please limit your stay to no longer than you have money and you will be safe as your exposure to fast food will be short in duration.

Above all....don't run down the country you are visiting while you are here as that could be the quickest way to the Hurt Locker you will encounter.

Hempy
20th Sep 2016, 12:28
Written, spoken and authorised by an old white male.

Cazalet33
20th Sep 2016, 14:06
How about just expanding your time frame a tad....the answer then becomes GERMANY AND JAPAN

Nope. During the American War they dropped more tonnage of bombs on the Vietnamese people than were used by all of the combatants on all sides in the whole of the Second World War.

And that's just one victim country of American bombings. There were many many others in the past half century or so. Something like sixty countries, though counting so many can be difficult because American levels of bombing can actually shatter an entire country.

SASless
20th Sep 2016, 14:10
I guess the Brits, French, Italians, Spanish, Germans, and Russians get a pass on their Bombing....along with the use of Chemical Weapons by the Syrians and Iraqi's. If those folks get a pass then I suppose there is not sense in bringing up any number of other nations....that have dropped more than a few bombs as well.

Why is it only the Americans incur your wrath?

Cazalet33
20th Sep 2016, 14:17
Only yesterday the UK MoD admitted complicity in the illegal bombing of the Syrian Army in Syria last week. As Crusaders in Muslim lands it is entirely 'appropriate' that they give biblical names to their weapons of terrorism such as Hellfire and Brimstone.

British complicity in US imperial abductions and torture, though implausibly denied for years, has now been admitted.

The scale may be lesser, but the crime is just the same.

If you stop American atrocities, you'll stop the poodle following the great masters footsteps.

Geordie_Expat
20th Sep 2016, 14:22
Oh for Gods sake change the record. You really are getting boring with your anti-American rants.

galaxy flyer
20th Sep 2016, 15:34
In Hempy's world, speaking the truth that 50+% of murders are committed by the 6% of the population that happens to be black, young and male is a racist rant of old, white men. Abysmal.

Caza,

The lands you speak of were originally Jewish, then Christian and conquered by Muslim warriors in the 7th century. The Crusader term you use so dismissively are actually those who tried to free the Holy Lands in the Middle Ages. Today, we are not crusdaers in any sense, unfortunately.

GF

vulcanised
20th Sep 2016, 16:23
Why is speaking a fact (which you don't like) "abysmal" ?

Krystal n chips
20th Sep 2016, 16:55
" At the risk of being accused of similar traits being assigned to Trump by the Left....if you do a bit of profiling you can improve your odds of surviving a trip to this country.

I have actually survived more than one visit....albeit thus far in the N.East bit....the profiling however well that's easy.....white middle aged males, some with rednecks, and those working for anything connected with Law enforcement....

Young Black Men play the Knock Out game....young Black Men commit the majority of violent street crime....Muslims with/from Middle Eastern, Somali or Afghani backgrounds commit the Terrorist Acts of late.

Two different drivers, on two separate visits, were, erm, young Black men....very nice gentlemen in fact who showed us the "non tourist "bits of various locations. Some chap called McVeigh doesn't quite fit the description you offer however.

Soccer Moms driving a Mini-Van while drinking a Latte, talking on a cellphone, and doing her makeup are involved in lots of car crashes.

I do not intend to visit Alaska, so the chances of encountering Sarah are minimal....that. and somebody else will be driving.

If you find yourself in dark places or near Mini-vans....you have a greater exposure to danger.

Sounds remarkably similar to the UK !.....thankfully, after 65 years on this planet, I can actually read locations.

As to the Fast Food thing....please limit your stay to no longer than you have money and you will be safe as your exposure to fast food will be short in duration.

I have watched "Man vs Food " and "Diners, Drive in's and Dives" so I am aware of the culinary threats to my safety. However, I have also managed to find salads and vegetables on menus !

Above all....don't run down the country you are visiting while you are here as that could be the quickest way to the Hurt Locker you will encounter

Ah, now I had this experience, "sans the pain" in Germany once with a member of the US Army Military Police....if he'd kept his gob shut, and could have understood I had all the legal documentation required plus not poking me in the chest in his efforts to "communicate" then he wouldn't have been " educated" by me.... now would he. However, I do solemnly promise not to say one disparaging word about the Land of the Free during my proposed tour....

Loma..if Yellowstone does decide to erupt, it would be a tie up as to which produces the greater exodus..that...or a Trump Presidency. Alas, your taste buds were ruined by eating at a gastropub thingy.....if you had only eaten at yer average chippy !

However, the trip is still being planned....I have also found a nice one, or two, in Oz...which hold a very strong appeal ....Fly -Drive in fact, for about 3 weeks,...plus, the Aussies are very good amateur cricketers....:D;)...and I would be delighted to explain the finer points of the game to them ! :E

meadowrun
21st Sep 2016, 03:14
This guy (employee of the "First American Chicken Shack") made several trips back to ole Afghanistan (the country his family fled and claimed asylum from), a couple to Pakistan (who goes to Pakistan on leisure trips?), came back all religious like, started wearing traditional dress, ran a late night shop that garnered several complaints and police visits, brother assaulted a police officer and fled the country and apparently demonstrated a vocal hatred of America and gays.

Some telltale signs there anywhere? Anyone?, Homeland Security?, FBI?, Beuller?

SASless
21st Sep 2016, 03:34
The FBI was onto him two years ago after his Father reported him....but dropped the investigation.

Where have we heard that before with the FBI....and in terrorism cases too not only in Compromise of Classified Information cases.

mickjoebill
21st Sep 2016, 04:10
The FBI was onto him two years ago after his Father reported him....but dropped the investigation.

Where have we heard that before with the FBI....and in terrorism cases too not only in Compromise of Classified Information cases.

What are the odds of a non white guy engaging US police officers in a gun fight and surviving?

Mickjoebill

lomapaseo
21st Sep 2016, 04:10

We need a secret police, then we wouldn't know nuttin about an investigation.

obgraham
21st Sep 2016, 04:30
I'm disappointed these NY cops are such poor shots.

tony draper
21st Sep 2016, 09:39
Not the shots it's the girly caliber they use, nines are for sissies.:uhoh:

SASless
21st Sep 2016, 11:31
MJB, Odds are pretty good actually that the Perp gets shot and lives.

Our Police are trained to administer CPR and First Aid to the very People that were trying to kill them just moments before.

Unlike the old days....when I was a Cop....now days it is "Neutralize the Threat" as compared to "Kill the SOB" back during my time.

It is a subtle difference but in my Day you shot at a Cop....you were most likely not to survive the encounter if the Police were successful in their response.

I am glad the attitude has improved....sadly it seems the Marksmanship and caliber of weapon has not kept up.

We have lots of Wimmen doing Police work these days and Manly calibers like .45 Automatic and .357 Magnum had to be replaced by a kinder and gentler caliber the Ladies could manage.....or else the results of Police Involved Shootings would be far more certain.