PDA

View Full Version : Pass exam with lower mark at first attempt or higher mark at second attempt

rochen214
16th Sep 2016, 05:36
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, nice to join.

Whenever an airlines or aeroclub or flight school is looking for pilots or instructors, when they look at your CV, what is most important part they are looking for in regarding to the previous exam result. would they rather choose someone who passed the exam with lower mark at the first attempt or higher mark at second or even third attempt?
Anyone who passed all the theory exams not less than 90% ?

Snakecharma
16th Sep 2016, 09:26
Don't know about GA these days but the airlines that I know of don't even ask what you passing mark was, got the licence? Tick!

Pinky the pilot
16th Sep 2016, 10:18
Don't know about GA these days but the airlines that I know of don't even ask what you passing mark was, got the licence? Tick!

Was never ever asked what my passing mark was in any exam! By anyone! Nor do I know, or ever heard of anyone ever being asked that question.

The only question I ever heard any Chief Pilot of any Company for whom I flew or was otherwise associated was.....

"Can he/she fly?":=

Ollie Onion
16th Sep 2016, 20:04
^^^ Likewise, I have never had an airline ask me for exam marks.

27/09
17th Sep 2016, 02:00
Some do ask if you've failed exams or flight tests in the past, but none I've heard of have asked about actual marks. They're looking to see if you've had issues making the grade. The odd exam fail or perhaps even flight test fail probably isn't an issue, but several attempts at passing, no matter the eventual pass mark or first time failures on a regular basis would be a red flag I'd imagine.

Best advice I can give is, pass first time, and if the pass mark worries you get the highest mark you can.

training wheels
17th Sep 2016, 09:27
Didn't QantasLink and VARA recently ask for the CASA pre-requisite report which includes all your exam scores from PPL to ATPL including failed attempts? I recall Qantas asking for this as well when they last recruited 8 years ago.

glenb
18th Sep 2016, 08:54
The story isn't in the result. Its actually, about what you did and how you reacted when you failed the first time. That's what an Employer would be more interested in I suggest.