PDA

View Full Version : Don't you need a licence to sell fags and tobacco?

Loose rivets
14th Sep 2016, 21:44
Someone has been advertising same on our local Facebook items for sale site.

As one who is passionately against even the legal sale of these products, I think this must be very iffy. Yes, I'd like to get it stopped despite it being a small community - and what that might bring.

G-CPTN
14th Sep 2016, 21:52
to 1p that these items are not kosher.

You can report the selling of illegal tobacco anonymously by calling the illegal tobacco hotline on 0300 999 6 999.

https://crimestoppers-uk.org/get-involved/our-campaigns/national-campaigns/illegal-tobacco/

14th Sep 2016, 21:59
Provided that you are in the UK then no licence is required to sell tobacco.
However, any tobacco products sold must have been legally imported into the UK with all applicable duties paid. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that the goods being sold on facebook are either counterfeits or genuine products illegally imported.

Sallyann1234
15th Sep 2016, 08:45
But advertising is banned:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobacco_Advertising_and_Promotion_Act_2002

Sallyann1234
15th Sep 2016, 10:39
And of course, importation duty-free is for personal use only.

Yes, I'd like to get it stopped despite it being a small community
Well the ball is in your court. Buy a packet of fags from the advertiser and shop him/her to HMRC.

Pontius Navigator
15th Sep 2016, 11:32
Sallyann, true but I have seen someone ahead of us returning from a cruise with a suitcase full of cartons. They think they are clever not realising that every time they return to their cruise ship their stuff is scanned and the ship personnel will tell HMC.

david1300
15th Sep 2016, 12:43
Someone has been advertising same on our local Facebook items for sale site.

As one who is passionately against even the legal sale of these products, I think this must be very iffy. Yes, I'd like to get it stopped despite it being a small community - and what that might bring.

Probably a lot quicker and easier to get it stopped by just reporting it on FB using their 'report this post' process rather than having a whinge here :p Just sayin' - no need to thank me ;):ok:

Loose rivets
15th Sep 2016, 13:11
Yes, I've written to the FB thread starter/'owner' despite there being no ads at this time.

I think the seller might be canny enough to quickly delete their ads - which had pictures of cigarette packets etc.

Being secure. This area goes from Frinton to Walton which is chalk and cheese. I've put my car on the same forum and one act of retribution might cost multi-thousands.

Having said that, I lived in Frinton for 33 years and at 03:00 one morning caught a scrote with my BMW radio in his hands. Nowhere is safe these days.

G-CPTN
15th Sep 2016, 13:37
Stopping the adverts on FB does nothing to stop these items being offered elsewhere, whereas reporting to the suggested official channels would result in enforcement action from the authorities.

Just saying (and it is anonymous).

You do, however, need some identification of the seller. By stopping their adverts on FB you remove that source of ID.

Sallyann1234
15th Sep 2016, 17:46
Which is why I suggested buying a packet from the advertiser. That would provide clear evidence for HMRC to prosecute.

15th Sep 2016, 18:01
Which is why I suggested buying a packet from the advertiser. That would provide clear evidence for HMRC to prosecute.
It would also give the seller the address of the person buying & they may work out who did the reporting to HMRC.
Whilst nothing may come out of it, the seller may be part of a large group selling illegal tobacco and they may not take too kindly to being reported.

Sallyann1234
15th Sep 2016, 18:19
It would also give the seller the address of the person buying

I doubt that the seller would insist on delivering to a house. A local pub would probably be a suitable meeting place and it could be one that the buyer doesn't normally use.

G-CPTN
15th Sep 2016, 20:33
Few such transactions would be restricted to one packet - more likely the buyer would want a 'carton' so the seller would be suspicious of a smaller purchase.

What would Loose do with a carton of his hated ciggies?
We could be talking about 30's worth.

Sallyann1234
15th Sep 2016, 21:10
30? Pah!

Chicken feed for a famous author :}

DG101
15th Sep 2016, 21:25
He could sell them on via - ohh - Facebook

15th Sep 2016, 21:50
I doubt that the seller would insist on delivering to a house. A local pub would probably be a suitable meeting place

If I was selling something that was illegal, I would feel much safer having it delivered to a house rather than meeting face to face in a pub.
Apart from the fact that a postal delivery would be totally anonymous as I could drop it off any any post office, meeting in a pub could leave me open to arrest or getting the sh** kicked out of me if it turned out to be counterfeit ciggies that I was selling and the buyer noticed this.

Loose rivets
15th Sep 2016, 22:58
They were 'popping round with them'. Better service than you get from most folk. :-)

I've heard nothing back from my MSG. We'll see.

G0ULI
15th Sep 2016, 23:31
Having visited Clacton and Jaywick recently, anything that boosts the local economy needs to be seen as a positive. All very well for the posh folk in Frinton to pay full price...